• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Riflescope w/reflex or red dot sight

Marine24

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2010
Colorado
Curious if we have any members who have used a combination of a riflescope with an attached reflex/red dot sight.

I have a LR-308 with 16' barrel that currently wears an EOTech 552. With my old eyes, works great out to 200 yards when cutting paper and out to 300 on coyote sized game.

Primary use will be inside of 300 yards but would like to stretch the range out to 600 yards. I'm very familiar and comfortable with the EOTech and have tried the 3x magnifier, but just didn't work for me. I am considering something around a 2-10x range but still retain the ability to quickly engage multiple close in targets, which comes to the my question.

Is mounting a reflex/red dot sight on top of a riflescope effective? Setup rubs against my traditional side, but beats humping another rifle in to the field.

Welcome your thoughts or recommendations on how you've solved this problem.

Re: Riflescope w/reflex or red dot sight

3-gun guys commonly run a Red Dot mounted to a 45* rail so that for up close targets they can turn the rifle slightly on its side and engage. Normal 1.5-6x or a 2.5-10x type optic on top for targets at farther ranges.

Bohem,

Thanks. Saw that on the Nightforce site and must have some merit if folks are using it in 3 gun. Also saw a guy with a Burris PEPR mount with a fastfire mounted on top.

warne makes a mount too that is pretty nice.

not exactly what you're referring to, but I've had the Elcan SpecterDR running on 4x with the Insight MRDS on top for a bit - works well without having to throw the lever all the time

I'm also very partial to the Spuhr mounts

Max: Think we are talking about something very similar. I've seen ACOGs with the reflex site mounted on them or similar set ups where the rings have a Picatinny style rail on top to mount a secondary optic. I'm just curious about a setup with greater magnificaiton like a NF NXS 2.5-10x24.

I have used this setup on an AR and found it to work as expected. Close/fast shots are much easier with the mini red dot and you have the ability to dial up the power for the longer shots.
fastfire.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jroberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey frank....what mount is that on your pof? </div></div>

SPUHR Not sure of the exact model he has but here is some info.

Springer01: Appreciate the pictures. Makes it easier for a grunt like me to understand.

How much are you actually rotating the rifle to engage with the mini-dot?

Appreciate everyone's help.

I see two merits with the secondary sight, CQB is obvius but I for long range its also great.
When the scope are set at high magnification and you wanna change to another target you will not find the new target, then the secondary sight is great.

I have my secondary mounted in 45 degress just like lowlight shows but I never rotate the gun, I have it straight and just moves the head up and to the right.

Håkan

Hakan: Thank you. Definitely something I'll need to practice with. From the post springer01 provided, I see you also developed to top mounted rail solution for the aimpoint. That seems to be the one for me.

Ever since I saw the pictures of this type of setup using the Spuhr mounting system, I've been wondering about how effective it might be for my predator hunting. I typically hunt coyotes in open terrain that lends itself to longer shoots. Accordingly, I ususally have my scope set at or near its maximum zoom.

When I am calling, it is not entirely uncommon to have a coyote or bobcat surprise me a 50 yards or less. Instead of fumbling with my scope to zoom back quickly, I'm thinking that having a reflex/red dot sight mounted on my scope could be the better answer. I shoot competitive benchrest and keep both eyes open when shooting. My right eye looks through my scope while my left eye watches the flags for changes in conditions. It took some practice to become proficient at this; however, it is second nature to me now.

I'm thinking that mounting a reflex/red dot at a 45* angle on the left side of my scope would allow me to simply look at the coyote through the reflex/red dot with my left eye and cut him in half. That way, I wouldn't have to rotate or cant the rifle as would be the case if it was set on the right side.

Anyone hunting with this type of setup? I'd really like to get some feedback on how this works in the field.

Thanks.

i've been very interested in this concept myself, i've set a few guns up with warne ramps and burris arpepr mounts. using both trijicon rmr's, doctors and burris fastfire sights

I don't usally rotate the gun, I have the gun in it's normal position.
As the sight I am using is to the right, there is still somewhat of a cheekweld with the secondary sight. With some practice your mussle memory will know exactly where it is.

Håkan

I have an Aimpoint T-1 on a Daniel Defense 1 o'clock mount on my AR-15. I like that I can just rotate the rifle a bit without changing my cheek weld.

arlay1.jpg

I like the 45 degree mount instead of above the scope. I would purchase the smallest red dot possible (burris fastfire) so you don't have too much sticking out. If you are using an ar find some of jerry's 3 gun videos on YouTube since he uses a 45 degree mount and you can se how fast it is. Granted everything is fast when Jerry does it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooting4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the 45 degree mount instead of above the scope. I would purchase the smallest red dot possible (burris fastfire) so you don't have too much sticking out. If you are using an ar find some of jerry's 3 gun videos on YouTube since he uses a 45 degree mount and you can se how fast it is. Granted everything is fast when Jerry does it.</div></div>
I also like the 45* mount and the Fastfire. I think it would let me get on a close-in coyote very quickly without the need to drastically change my gun position.

I'd love to see some photos of folks that use this type of set-up - especially on bolt action rifles.