• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Right Side Strong, Left Eye Dominant: New Finding*

BobD

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2012
Ok, so I'm unfortunately part of the group that has an eye dominant opposite to my strong side. I have known this for some time and made the decision long ago that I would not be forced to shoot lefty because I left myself with no other option. I instead trained to the best of my ability to focus using my right eye.

* I noticed something very unusual today after handling a few scopes... In using low power 1.25 -2x I have no problem keeping both eyes open; it is fairly comfortable. However for some strange reason I tried to use my left (dominant) eye and lost all situational awareness (just holding the scope, they were not even on a rifle)... It wasnt impossible but certainly uncomfortable (I would not want to walk around like that). I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. I know some are just not comfortable above 1x for both eyes open but I'm curious if it might be the case.

Even if your not cross dominant, Id like to hear if you notice a difference, if you try looking through a low power with your non-dominant eye. I understand its possible it could just be that one eye has degraded vision compared to the other but who knows. I know it sounds strange but after learning to focus with my right eye I feel as though I am able to quickly switch from using my left eye focus while moving to my right which focuses through the scope.

Your thoughts?
Comments?

Re: Right Side Strong, Left Eye Dominant: New Finding*

All righty. Red dots/holo are no problem with both eyes open. Scopes tend to take a second for my dominant eye to get it together with both open. Typically find the target with both open then transition to right eye only right before I tickle the trigger

I noticed the same thing with my 1-4x. If I look through my left eye (non-dominant), I can see easily with both eyes open, just like with a red dot. With my dominant eye through the scope, its hard to get both eyes to focus on the environment.

Very interesting, maybe I'm not crazy then and there is logic behind this.
Are you right or left handed?

Red dots have always been fine for me. Somehow I've "trained" my eyes to work the way they should. I had a lot of problems with shooting pistols with my eye dominance problems ( I too am right hand left eye). When I was doing my pistol training in the police academy I kept failing my 50 ft shoot. I was putting a nice group off the left arm of all my targets. Finally figured out it was an eye dominance issue and I took me years to overcome. Now I can "switch" my eyes to get the right one aligned with my sights. For me it just took a lot of shooting and to figure out what worked for me.

Another suggestion I've heard is to tape the left lens of your shooting glasses with clear tape, it will force your eyes to compensate until you have your eyes "trained"

Sorry my thought was incomplete:
My thoughts is because I had so much trouble in the beginning that I had to work to get my eyes where I wanted them. A shooter who may not have had a problem may never have to work as hard to get there eyes to cooperate. I think now that I do control my eyes it makes me a better shooter and I do have pretty good situational awareness even when I'm staring through a scope. In the end I think being a non dominant shooter has made it easier to control what my eyes are doing and what I'm seeing in my peripherals.

Nothing unfortunate about it.

the-battle-t-shirt-graphic.png

I completely understand your frustration. I went through the same thing and I have to tell you I'm glad to hear that others have suceeded with this. I'm also happy to hear that you understand focusing eye switching, I would tell some people and they would have no idea what I was talking about... The rest would say to learn lefty... Not for me though, it can be done but definetely takes practice- Good for you

Chiller,
You have trained to be ambidextrous? Do you still favor a side in some shooting positions? If so, do you favor your dominant eye or strong side?

I shoot pistol "better" left handed other than that....learn to shoot rifle and carbine from both sides. Bolt gun positional (standing, kneeling, sitting) is easier from bolt manipulation to shoot right (prone can go either way)

Like you my daughter is cross dominate as well. I just made this for her.I know it looks like crap but she bought a new stock during the build and the scope positioned was changed so I had to mod it on the fly. Works great for her. I still have to give it some more paint but you get the idea.

P1010002-1.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

P1010001-3.jpg

I have the same problem except for the fact that because I fight right handed I had to learn to shoot the pistol right handed, and I could not shoot it right handed with my left eye. I could not get the focus correct, so I had to tape the left side of my shooting glasses to only focus with my right eye on the Pistol sights. However I could never fully shoot right handed with a rifle because I was always taught to shoot with my dominant eye.

I shoot the pistol Right handed, As an MP I had to have the pistol on my strong side in case of confrontation, but I had to always shoot my rifle left handed. I do shoot the pistol with both eyes open now, but it took a long time to get used to. I shoot my rifle with my left hand with both eyes open and have no problem with it at all either. I can shoot the pistol Left handed but I could never really get a good feeling shooting the rifle right handed.

With enough practice one way or another, like you, you will be able to do what you need to get by, but certain things will always mess you up a little. Just keep using it and the training will make your problem get smaller until it is no longer an issue.

Good Luck!!!

Wow, thats some dedication right there! Certiainly one of the strangest things... but very cool. How did you line up the POA to POI? Is it slightly canted or did you make up with windage adjustments?
Also, there are alot of techniques to help train your daughter's non-dominant eye which I'm sure you've heard of ie. using a patch. Personally, I worked on this using the same methods that proved me cross dominant in the first place... Ie pointing at objects above or in front me... Half squinting is one way to reveal which eye your using and to force the other. Also, when you are holding out an extended arm or firearm and focusing on a distant object there will be two images of your arm... Seeing the 2nd image to the right of your target indicates you are using your right eye and vice versa... The image of the non focusing eye will be on the opposite side of the target everytime, so move you arm accordingly to line up and close the other eye to confirm and repeat. Here you can practice really well and it gives you a really good understanding of your own vision. To me it makes more sense to learn how to focus with each eye independently opposed to handicapping one to use the other like some method, but again thats just my opinion.

Anyhow, thats a really cool set-up you made there and am curious to hear how its worked in general and for her. I applaud your efforts.

Rick 324,
Thats very interesting, and good for you being able to tackle this so well, its certainly a pain in the ass. Do you shoot rifle lefty in every position or just prone? Also, how's your trigger control with your left hand compared to your right? Was that difficult to get used to?

Thanks again for all your input-

BobD,

I shoot left handed in all positions, and having my left shoulder in the gun and strong hand holding the weight actually makes me feel more steady thru standing, kneeling shots. I have the strong hand to control the weight of the barrel and pull the rifle butstock tighter in to my left shoulder.

The hardest thing to learn with your weak hand is trigger control, but I think that it was actually an advantage. I do not have the tendency to put more force into the trigger than necessary to actually fire the shot. I take the time to feel the trigger and make sure that I put steady pressure on it, instead of trying to make it go off. I also have 2 rifles with 2.5 lb triggers that help!!!

Thanks!!! Good Luck!!!

Actually BobD it was pretty easy to set up. We centered the scope and just sighted by eye. we used the iron sites to align the scope. No cant, it a 22LR so only looking at 200 yards.

Right on,
How has it been working for her so far? I would have liked something like that when I was younger. I remember it feeling very unnatural trying to close my left eye and focus. I didn't know for quite a long time what the problem was... Certainly not until my adult years.
One other question... What is that you used for the base?

I'm right hand with HEAVy left eye dominance. I can't close just my left eye so for me it's pretty well open eye shooting only. Scope choice has become very critical for me and training with those scopes.

I was right eye dominant, then switched sometime after I had some laser eye correction, so now I am left eye dominant. Still right handed though. Suppose since I was once right eye dominant, and I have not given up hope I might switch back, it is a matter of practice and training.