• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RImfire accuracy and groups

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Was having an issue this PM. Had my Ruger out and was doing dot drills--50 yards.

First thing: my scope was off 4 clicks to the left. Odd. 3 shot group confirmed. Click over 4. Back on target.

Then, shot a good 10 shot groups in the dot. Some flyers. Focus. Practice Squeeze.

Then my groups really started to open to where I couldn't hit squat. Very inconsistent. I was using crap ammo (Remington) but if I was shooting 4 MOA i was lucky. I really tried to focus on a good position and could sometimes bring things back, but it was hot and I was getting frustrated.

Weird thing: My 50 yard groups were really really bad today. I brought the 22 as a backup after doing some work on an M1A that I got sorted. So i know I was doing okay with the M1, but the 22 was just ass after those first 20 shots or so. How much does bad head and body position cause a shift in impacts. I was really trying to do excellent shooting fundamentals, to the point where I could see my trace at 50 yards and it still was ass.

I know I was frustrated with scope picture--something with my vision was screwed up today (eyes are getting old), but I can do good groups with e CF rifle, why is this 22 kicking my ass as 50 yards.

Was having an issue this PM. Had my Ruger out and was doing dot drills--50 yards.

First thing: my scope was off 4 clicks to the left. Odd. 3 shot group confirmed. Click over 4. Back on target.

Then, shot a good 10 shot groups in the dot. Some flyers. Focus. Practice Squeeze.

Then my groups really started to open to where I couldn't hit squat. Very inconsistent. I was using crap ammo (Remington) but if I was shooting 4 MOA i was lucky. I really tried to focus on a good position and could sometimes bring things back, but it was hot and I was getting frustrated.

Weird thing: My 50 yard groups were really really bad today. I brought the 22 as a backup after doing some work on an M1A that I got sorted. So i know I was doing okay with the M1, but the 22 was just ass after those first 20 shots or so. How much does bad head and body position cause a shift in impacts. I was really trying to do excellent shooting fundamentals, to the point where I could see my trace at 50 yards and it still was ass.

I know I was frustrated with scope picture--something with my vision was screwed up today (eyes are getting old), but I can do good groups with e CF rifle, why is this 22 kicking my ass as 50 yards.
Hard to say much with that ammo in my experience. I can drill a half dollar at 100yds with high velocity cci but the Remington cheapo stuff is all over the place, even at 50 yds in my built gun. It does a lot better in my old 22 rifles for some reason, but the old ones won't do what my built gun will do with high velocity, decent ammo either.

Last edited:
I love Remington 700's... But I'm an honest guy, so I'll just say it like it is... Remington ammo (rimfire & centerfire) is shit. Their brass sucks. And their primers are inconsistent and shitty. I don't use any of it.

Try finding you some CCI Standard Velocity 1070 FPS .22 ammo. Should be about $4.99-$5.99 a box of 50. Give it a try. It shoots amazing in both of my .22 rifles. And even cycles in my 10/22, while staying subsonic (suppressed).

Simply stated, drawing any kind of "accuracy" conclusions with that ammo is a true exercise in futility. CCI SV is a huge step up... even then, as big an improvement as it is, CCI SV is still very marginal for consistency at 100 yards or more... or even 50, depending on the rifle.

Reactions: RTH1800