• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rimfire AR uppers?

memilanuk

F'ing nuke
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2002
    East Wenatchee WA
    Just curious if there is anyone here with experience using rimfire AR uppers, like the ones from Keystone or Compass Lake (or others)?

Been thinking about building a Kidd 10/22, but have heard some recommendations in other venues touting the AR variants over the 10/22 route.

Honestly, I'd originally had the impression that outside of people practicing with an AR for shooting matches with an AR i.e. NRA High Power XTC, either SR or MR... the rimfire ARs didn't have much of a following?

My 5" suppressed .22 AR is more fun than boobs. It's always the first one I break out whenever I'm just looking to make noise on steel in the short bays or when there are new shooters around.

Mine uses an adapter from Redi-Mag (?) so it can accept S&W 15-22 magazines. I forget where the barrel came from. And it uses a dedicated CMMG bolt.

So, it's not a trainer, just a toy.

I purchased one of these from PSA. Put about 500 rounds thru it so far. Been very happy with it.
    Mounted a Sig red dot on it. Using it as a low cost trainer for AR drills.

5165451023.jpg

Reactions: nakoa01
    Rimfire AR's are VERY popular.

It all depends on what you want to do with it, if you are interested in pure accuracy, a Kidd 10/22 or a Compass Lake Match AR upper with a good trigger are about the pinnacle of both these systems.

Both will mechanically shoot under MOA with the right ammo, if you do your part.

The AR may be physically (not mechanically) harder to shoot very well than the Kidd because your trigger finger and grip is further from the bore axis and has more leverage to exasperate any minor tremors you exert.

Compass Lake builds an awesome 22 upper. I have two and both will hold the 10 ring of an International Smallbore target (1 cm) at 50 meters with a coat and sling.

Frank used Douglas barrels for both of mine.

Compass Lake builds an awesome 22 upper. I have two and both will hold the 10 ring of an International Smallbore target (1 cm) at 50 meters with a coat and sling.

Frank used Douglas barrels for both of mine.

This.

My Compass Lake .22LR upper shoots very well.

I may have to look into that after the SWN next year.... I still have the lower from my WOA space gun, complete with Geisselle 2-stage match trigger and Eliseo butt stock; it's been needing an upper and/or purpose for a while.

You really ought to run some words through the search bar before creating a thread.

Well, I was looking more for a direct comparison between the custom AR uppers and the tricked out 10/22's. Might not have worded that the best. Seems like a lot of folks sing the praises of one or the other, but I haven't seen a whole hell of a lot of objective comparisons. Maybe I missed 'em... :unsure::rolleyes:

Milanuk,

Had Keystone build me a complete AR using a 2 groove Benchmade barrel as their base, been very pleased with it, accurate with a good range of ammunition. Had the barrel OD slightly larger than standard to balance the heavy stock. Functions flawlessly

4B9199E4-3196-40B7-B59B-7A8E4442A241.jpeg

I have been down the 10/22 route a couple of times but always ended up feeling like I had just had expensive 1st rifle at the end or it all (if you get my drift?). The AR actually ‘feels’ like a rifle.

But as always what do you want out of the rifles - it is after all just a tool?

Brgds T

Reactions: kthomas
    My go-to AR rimfire platform is the JP Rifles JP-22. I have the complete rifle, but they sell the uppers also.

MB

I have this as well, and really like it.

I purchased one of these from PSA. Put about 500 rounds thru it so far. Been very happy with it.
    Mounted a Sig red dot on it. Using it as a low cost trainer for AR drills.

View attachment 7205226

Ok , seems like the CL gets the most nods ? But I have a tacsol and a cmg carbine that use black dog mags , so I would like to go JP or keystone , is the CL on average that much better than the other two ? Anyone have the CL and one or both of the others ? I have thought about this for a while .

Keep in mind that the CLE uses M-261 mag adaptors. That pretty much means your locked into 10 rounds. If the 10 round deal is a deal breaker for you then for sure grab the JP.

Keep in mind that the CLE uses M-261 mag adaptors. That pretty much means your locked into 10 rounds. If the 10 round deal is a deal breaker for you then for sure grab the JP.
    Black Dog makes 25 round mags for the M261.

After a lot of research I had a JP 22R upper built. It has been ~1/2" with CCI SV and very relialble with a TT trigger. I could not be happier with the JP. I use BDM mags and they run like a top.

Reactions: nakoa01
    My 5" suppressed .22 AR is more fun than boobs.

^^^THIS^^^

Building a .22LR AR Upper is even easier than building a regular AR Upper. I built my 4.5". All your buying is the barrel and the bolt assembly and a charging handle. All other parts are exactly the same and you have a metal gun not a plastic M&P15-22 (have one of those too are great though, but boobs are more fun)

I intend to build a JP AR .22 upper to mirror my match gun with a giessele mk18 ARCA rail on it. If your looking for match grade accuracy, go with JP, rifle, Upper, or barrel alone. And tell them "spring it for subs" to make sure it runs match grade subs well.

My CMMG is pop can accurate but not NRL accurate. Still crazy fun.

I evidently botched the quoting thing above. Let's try this again, sorry guys!

WNC Seabee is right. My 4.5" .22lr upper is the most fun gun I own. My friend has the same upper on an auto lower. Whole new meaning to giggle switch.

Building a .22LR AR Upper is even easier than building a regular AR Upper. I built my 4.5". All your buying is the barrel and the bolt assembly and a charging handle. All other parts are exactly the same and you have a metal gun not a plastic M&P15-22 (have one of those too are great though, but boobs are more fun)

I intend to build a JP AR .22 upper to mirror my match gun with a giessele mk18 ARCA rail on it. If your looking for match grade accuracy, go with JP, rifle, Upper, or barrel alone. And tell them "spring it for subs" to make sure it runs match grade subs well.

My CMMG is pop can accurate but not NRL accurate. Still crazy fun.

I bought a Rainer Arms .22 upper and I put it on my KAC lower whenever I want to shoot it.

It's a hell of a lot of fun, and has been really reliable with full power loads. Suppressor based ammo has a tendency to double feed. I don't have a suppressor for it yet, but will work on getting one for it for 2020 and see how the suppressor ammo works for it.

Overall, it's super fun to shoot. I think everyone should have one.