• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ring brand survey

What rings do you use for match shooting/hunting on 30mm and 34mm scopes?

• Total voters
MPA-BA 1.060”
I’ve purchased 2 sets about 6 months apart. One set came with stainless hardware, the other carbon, no preference, no complaints. I did add their top Picatinny adapter for ease of future add-ons.

What do you have against the Spuhr mounts?

It is a bit of a mix. Some personal reasons that do not need to be re-hashed. Some technical reasons too. These mounts are interesting case where they are designed well, but not necessarily engineered well. Spuhr mounts that I saw used conical screw heads. When everything is perfectly machined, that is not an issue. When tolerances stack up a little, these screws do not allow the ring halves to self-center on the scope tube. That results in less tube contact and potential for binding some of the internals. I end up fielding a lot of scope questions and quite a few relate to mount issues. Of all the high end scope mounts, I have seen more scope slip in Spuhr mounts than all others combined. On the other hand, a ton of people clearly use these with good success, so most of the time they seem to work fine.

ILya

It is a bit of a mix. Some personal reasons that do not need to be re-hashed. Some technical reasons too. These mounts are interesting case where they are designed well, but not necessarily engineered well. Spuhr mounts that I saw used conical screw heads. When everything is perfectly machined, that is not an issue. When tolerances stack up a little, these screws do not allow the ring halves to self-center on the scope tube. That results in less tube contact and potential for binding some of the internals. I end up fielding a lot of scope questions and quite a few relate to mount issues. Of all the high end scope mounts, I have seen more scope slip in Spuhr mounts than all others combined. On the other hand, a ton of people clearly use these with good success, so most of the time they seem to work fine.

ILya
Thank you for the info.

I usually use NEAR Mfg Alphamount single piece scope mount.. mounted on a picatinny rail. As good as a Spur mount and 2/3 the price. Don't have to worry about lapping rings.

Is seekins still making vortex rings. I was buying rings a couple years back and couldnt confirm it
Not exactly. I believe it is more like the same manufacture is making mounts for both Seekins and Vortex

If you don’t use the recommended torque specs per ARC the scope risks slipping in the rings - this is coming directly from ARC. I had a ZCO slip in rings because I listened to someone else other then the ring manufacturer which led to the objective bell being pinched under the ring under recoil, damaging the tube. Tighten the ARC rings slowly while frequently checking the parallax function.
Every time I mount a scope in a set of ARCs I close my eyes and cringe while twisting the torque wrench until I hear the click. It's a weird form of Russian roulette that seems to continue to work out time and time again.

Not exactly. I believe it is more like the same manufacture is making mounts for both Seekins and Vortex
Nope, Seekins is making their rings, as they have since 2005, and and mounts. The Vortex Precision Matched rings and mount are made by Seekins.

Reactions: VandelayIndustries
Is seekins still making vortex rings. I was buying rings a couple years back and couldnt confirm it

Only the precision matched rings and mounts. Not all the Vortex rings and mounts.

Nightforce Ultralight. Bought some when I bought a NFscope from Camera Land due to discount. Then found the “demos” for a nice price at Mile High. The first set worked well, so I thought “why not?”. I could always upgrade if I didn’t like the results. Haven’t looked back since. They work.

IF I was looking for a one piece mount, I’d likely try ARC. Wasn’t overly impressed with the Spuhr I had. Especially for the $$$. So I sold it. No ragrats.

Nightforce Ultralight. Bought some when I bought a NFscope from Camera Land due to discount. Then found the “demos” for a nice price at Mile High. The first set worked well, so I thought “why not?”. I could always upgrade if I didn’t like the results. Haven’t looked back since. They work.

IF I was looking for a one piece mount, I’d likely try ARC. Wasn’t overly impressed with the Spuhr I had. Especially for the $$$. So I sold it. No ragrats.
I have more NF Ultralights than anything else, zero issues. Other guys I work with have a boatload as well, zero issues. We probably have 25-30 in use at any given time and have for 6 years or so.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I've been using Seekins the longest, have ADM and NF Unimounts also.

May try the MPA one day.

Leupold
Talley
SIG

Local shop always has Leupold and SIG in stock.

I've also never had a scope slip, damaged, or broken a weaver tactical. So that's what most of my ARs wear.

If they work they work. Probably more often you'll find an issue with Weaver like missing screws or mismatched parts. They still work if they work so I'm not spending even $100 for the rings on a $400 rifle that will never see anything past 500 yards and isn't ever going to be relied on for shtf.

Starting from 30 years ago.
btw,lapped all steel rings.

Leupold Mark 4
Badger Ord. steel. 4 screw and Max 50s
NF steel
NF Unimounts
ARC 34mm
Spuhr mounts 30 and 34mm

They all served me well.

I have used a ton of different kinds, expensive to very very cheap and never had any of any kind fail, slip or mark a scope since i have owned a torque wrench. so properly installed, never a problem with anything even the cheap UTG ones off amazon. That said, i have burris signature on more rifles than anything else, i just like the added cant and inserts.