• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rings question(Unbiased answers only)

Re: Rings question(Unbiased answers only)

I've run both the NF DirectMount and Seekins. They've never failed in any way or left marks on the scopes. Ask yourself if someone would buy some lapped rings from you. I wouldn't since they're now particular to your scope and action. I'd probably buy your scope even with ring marks on it but some people won't.

Hitnbombs28
Warne makes fine rings and rails (fixed or tactical) several on my last team used Warne and we had Warne make several items that were not stock products also.

What is inexpensive? For myself it's the rings and bases that are in the $20 or less range. Excellent rings and bases can be purchased in the $50 range (including Warne).

With many years of tactical and long range shooting my experience is that rings and bases in the $100-$200 range do not do anything better than quality rings and bases from the $40-$70 price range.

Many optic manufacturers also make rings as well as mounts. The same school of thought goes to ring quality. Makers like badger, leupold, seekins..ect, all put a little more into making the rings. I used standard steel weaver rings, the cap screw heads stripped out from taking them off and on. I then got some Millet aluminum rings. The crossbolts on both stripped out and there wasnt enough material to re-trhread it, and the aluminum was just too soft. Now I got the steel Leupold PRW rings. I couldnt be happier, they are smooth on and off, and there is no concern of me having similar issues. More ecpensive rings all have diffrent offerings to the purchaser.

i was never an operator....so i can't comment one way or another

but as a non-operator......

As far as rings go? When I bought my IOR gen 1 a few years back I got IOR rings with it. They worked fine.

They were medium rings, and low rings were what I really wanted to get the scope down for a better cheekweld. When it was time to buy new rings, I researched my A$$ off. When the dust settled, I owned a set of Seekins rings. Did I believe that they were the one and only good set of rings being made? NO! At the time, I truly believed that they were the best overall bang for the buck.

To this day, because of that research spree, I buy only Burris Signature Zee, or Seekins. Obviously for two entirely different sets of criteria. I will go on record as saying I do *NOT* believe my 2 choices are the only good ones to be made! There are many very good and workable choices for base and ring combinations out there!

Off Topic:
Hey Glen,

Have you ever considered making a set of rings with spherical inserts ,similar in nature to Zee rings, but made out of steel or aluminium? For offsets / 34-35mm adaptors ect...? I would be first in line to try a set out
smile.gif

Have a good one,
Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hitnbombs , you can get some very good (inexpensive) rings like TPS , Leupold PRW , Warren , ect. They will serve the puropse very good for holding the scope on the rifle securely if properly installed. However they can be a little more difficult if you need to swap scops around or remove your scope for maintence for some reason. That being said the less expensive rings are fine if thats wat you want , but I think we have all been here at one point in time and usualy end up at some point upgrading for one reason or another. So my point is its usually cheeper in the long rin to buy the best the first time around. Enjoy your new rifle! </div></div>

My 30mm low TPS TSR-W's have had at least a dozen scopes in them and run fine to this day. TPS TSR rings would be same category as Leupy MK4's, not PRWs (they just cost less than MK4's).

So at the end of the day I would like a recommendation: Long range hunting application, NF Optic, appreciation for quality equipment, desire to buy once. What rings do I buy?

I do not currently own any rings that cost $150. I owned some Jewell rings when I shot benchrest and those are the most expensive single set of rings I have owned to date. I will be ordering a set of Badger rings before midnight on the 30th, I too have a limited budget and that birthday discount beats dealer cost.
I have 2 sets of Burris XTR rings and they are very good rings for the price but one set was in serious need of aggressive lapping to fit correctly. I have a drawer full of garbage rings I have wasted money on over the years. These rings ranged in price from $9.99 to $35, all were ill fitting scope scratchers. The fact that I know my scope is scratched or dinged to hell has nothing to do with how much I shoot. It actually means I shoot a great deal but cannot afford a scope for every rifle or pistol I own. If I spend $1500 for a scope I don't want the fargin thing scratched to hell by the rings. The rings do NOT have to "bite" the scope to effectively hold it in place. Call me crazy.

A scope that is in a bind will not function correctly. Cheap rings that are unlapped will usually bind a scope, in my experience.

If economy rings work for you why ask someone else to justify your choice. The OP has answered his own question and I am left to wonder the true purpose of his post.

I must be odd. When I buy a set of rings for a weapon my primary considerations are their height, their material and their availability. It seems to me that I go through a lot of aggravation to find the ones I want and they always seem to be the good quality ones. Must be a personal problem.