• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Rings vs integreal mount; pros and cons of each?

alman1531

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2014
Colorado
I have a Nightforce BEAST and an AI AX308MC on backorder with Mile High and am putting some thinking into what mounting system to get. This will be a target shooting/competition system. What are your thoughts and experience on good quality rings vs good quality integral mounts.

Integral mounts like the Larues generally mount the optic way too high to get behind comfortably without building up the comb a lot or using an adjustable comb. They are made for AR style rifles. Get a good set of proper height rings.

Another option is a Near Alpha mount. Nice solid mount and you can speak to Richard Near to have a specified height made.

Why not SPUHR you already spent that much of monney on scope and rifle.. now when u squized that trigger and didnt go to the same hole!! U know its on u :)

I have an 18 MOA AI mount on my AW and don't find that it sits too high. I think it will be fine on an AXMC but can't recall if the MCs will be coming with any MOA built into the rail.

The only positives I see for rings are:
potential (minor?) cost difference, very minor weight savings for certain applications, and odd fitments. You don't have to worry about at least two of those.....

I could see someone having an issue with a short LOP and eye relief with an integral mount if they had a shorter length base/finicky optic...I think your AI would accommodate even a t-rex LOP/eye relief with that top rail.

Spuhr or Near mounts for me.

+1

Spuhr is the best solution I've ever found. I'll go with the rings, just for the sake of mounting flexibility.

Why not SPUHR you already spent that much of monney on scope and rifle.. now when u squized that trigger and didnt go to the same hole!! U know its on u :)

Will defiantly look into Spuhr mounts. You are correct about the equipment; only one thing to fix if results are not up to par, and it isn't the equipment.:)

I've got both Near Alpha and Spuhr. Both are very nice. The near is lower but the lowest spuhr is not much higher. I wouldn't go higher than that unless it's on a chassis with long top rail where you need the clearance.

The main advantage to a unimount is that they are machined aligned and can overcome slight variations that might be in a picatinny scope base. Nothing wrong with good set of rings though and they give you a bit more flexibility for positioning the scope.

This might be a question for a new thread, but what height would be recommended for a Nightforce BEAST on the AX308MC with the 20MOA rail?

Integral mounts like the Larues generally mount the optic way too high to get behind comfortably without building up the comb a lot or using an adjustable comb. They are made for AR style rifles. Get a good set of proper height rings.

What he said!

I love a nice one piece mount, but they are best suited for an AR style rifle where you need the optic lifted a pinch.