• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RIP brothers

Re: RIP brothers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saw the news today about CPO Chris Kyle. What a true waste. </div></div>
yeah, what insanity was that?! truly sad...

IMG_1777_zps741fdde4.jpg

Cpl. Michael W. Ouellette
KIA Afghanistan 22 MAR 2009

JUST A COMMON SOLDIER
(A Soldier Died Today)
by A. Lawrence Vaincourt

He was getting old and paunchy and his hair was falling fast,
And he sat around the Legion, telling stories of the past.
Of a war that he had fought in and the deeds that he had done,
In his exploits with his buddies; they were heroes, every one.

And tho' sometimes, to his neighbors, his tales became a joke,
All his Legion buddies listened, for they knew whereof he spoke.
But we'll hear his tales no longer for old Bill has passed away,
And the world's a little poorer, for a soldier died today.

He will not be mourned by many, just his children and his wife,
For he lived an ordinary and quite uneventful life.
Held a job and raised a family, quietly going his own way,
And the world won't note his passing, though a soldier died today.

When politicians leave this earth, their bodies lie in state,
While thousands note their passing and proclaim that they were great.
Papers tell their whole life stories, from the time that they were young,
But the passing of a soldier goes unnoticed and unsung.

Is the greatest contribution to the welfare of our land
A guy who breaks his promises and cons his fellow man?
Or the ordinary fellow who, in times of war and strife,
Goes off to serve his Country and offers up his life?

A politician's stipend and the style in which he lives
Are sometimes disproportionate to the service that he gives.
While the ordinary soldier, who offered up his all,
Is paid off with a medal and perhaps, a pension small.

It's so easy to forget them for it was so long ago,
That the old Bills of our Country went to battle, but we know
It was not the politicians, with their compromise and ploys,
Who won for us the freedom that our Country now enjoys.

Should you find yourself in danger, with your enemies at hand,
Would you want a politician with his ever-shifting stand?
Or would you prefer a soldier, who has sworn to defend
His home, his kin and Country and would fight until the end?

He was just a common soldier and his ranks are growing thin,
But his presence should remind us we may need his like again.
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.

If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.
Perhaps just a simple headline in a paper that would say,
Our Country is in mourning, for a soldier died today.

I lost my son, on November 18th.2012.I feel the loss, of the other parents, on this site. I can't say what I feel. I can't say anything, to heal the loss.The words, are under the stones. Maybe that he died, serving the "greater cause", of serving others.I only know that HE forgives our transgressions. I hope that is enough.

Last edited:
RIP Solo. You were awesome, and I'm better off having known you.

SSG Juan M Solorio - YouTube

I can't watch this tribute without crying. He died assisting wounded soldiers and some parent's kids came home because of him, but at least a couple children didn't see dad come back home.

Even sadder, he replaced MSG Mack after he got hit.

All of us were SDM instructors at the SBASC, and it was like family around that place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucky1
Passing of Major Richard O. Culver Jr. USMC Ret

On 24 FEB 14, Major Richard O. Culver Jr. USMC Retired, passed away after suffering a fall related to a stroke.

The Major's website Welcome to Culver's Shooting Page

Richard O. “Dick” Culver, Jr. went to join his Marine Corps brothers in Valhalla on February 24, 2014, at Hospice House in Hayden, Idaho, at the age of 77 years.

Dick was born on April 9, 1936, on Alcatraz Island), California (in the infirmary, because they couldn’t get to the mainland), to Richard O. Culver, Sr., and Sara Culver. His father was a lieutenant of the guards at Alcatraz when the federal prison opened in 1934. We are not aware of anyone else who was actually born on Alcatraz Island while it was a federal prison; the Culver family lived on the island from 1934 until 1938.

Dick’s family moved to Hopewell, VA, when he was a young lad, where his dad was the warden at the federal reformatory, and he was raised and obtained his grade school and secondary school education.

Dick graduated from high school in 1953, and then attended Virginia Military Institute (VMI) as a member of the Marine Corps Reserves. Upon his graduation from VMI with a Bachelor’s Degree in Physics, he waited until the day of the birthday of the Marine Corps and enlisted into active service on November 11, 1958. During his time at VMI, Dick competed as captain on the VMI Pistol team, and on the Marine Corps Reserve Rifle and Pistol team at the National Matches.

Dick later received his Master’s Degree in Physics at graduate school in Monterey, CA.

Dick went through the ranks as an enlisted man and attended officer Candidate School (OCS), where he was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant. He was eventually promoted to Major, which rank he held when he retired. Dick was a third generation retired U.S. Marine Corps officer.

While in the Marine Corps, Dick and his wife had one son, James R. Culver, who survived him in Alabama. Dick and his wife were later divorced.

Dick married Gloria Bjorkland on March 2, 1987, in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, who also survives him.

Dick was stationed for 2 tours in Vietnam, the first one from 1967-1968, where he received a Purple Heart for wounds he sustained on his first day of combat. He recovered from those wounds and led Force Recon patrols, completing his first tour of duty in Vietnam. Also during his first tour, Dick was awarded the Silver Star for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action. While serving as the Commanding Officer of Company H, Second Battalion, Third Marines, Ninth Marine Amphibious Brigade, during a firefight with a North Vietnamese Army company Captain Culver exposed himself to hostile enemy fire several times, rallied his Marines, coordinated fire and medevacs, called in artillery and air support, and forced the enemy to break contact after suffering numerous casualties. By his superior leadership, bold initiative and selfless devotion to duty at great personal risk, Captain Culver upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service.

Dick returned to Vietnam for a second tour of duty in 1971-1972, toward the end of the conflict. In the last days of the conflict, he supervised the evacuation of embassy personal and civilians from the rooftop of the U.S. Embassy in Saigon.

After Dick returned from Vietnam, he, USMC Captain Jack Cuddy, and USMC Lt. Col. Charles Reynolds started the Scout Sniper Instructor School at Quantico, VA, in March 1977. Marine sniper Carlos Hathcock (93 confirmed sniper kills in Vietnam) worked for them as the NCOIC. The story of the USMC Scout Sniper School is played in reruns on the history Channel, and/or the Military Channel, where you can watch it; look for its scheduling.

Dick also competed on the Marine Corps Rifle and Pistol team, receiving numerous medals, and later becoming the CO of the team.

After retiring Dick traveled to Saudi Arabia with a contract to train the Saudi Arabia Marine Corps school. After four years Dick returned to the United States, where he was the Kellogg, Idaho, High School J.R.O.T.C. senior instructor for five years.

Dick authored many articles on the Marine Corps as well as his experiences reviewing testing various rifles, including several in Soldier of Fortune Magazine, Guns and Ammo, and various other magazines.

Dick was a Life Member of VFW Post 889 in Coeur d’Alene.

After Dick and Gloria retired,they traveled extensively throughout the world, renewing acquaintances and making many friends in the many countries they visited.

Dick is survived by his wife, Gloria, and his son, James. He was preceded by his parents, USMC Lieutenant Colonel, Ret. Richard O. Culver Sr., and Sara Culver, of Dothan, Alabama.

Funeral services with full military honors will be at 2:00 pm on Monday, March 10, 2014, at English Funeral Chapel, at 1133 N. 4th St., Coeur d’Alene, ID. After the service, there will be a reception at VFW Post 889 at 406 N. 4th St. in Coeur d’Alene, at 3:00 pm.

Viewing will be from 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm on Sunday, March 9, and again on Monday, March, from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm.

Major Dick Culver’s final resting place will be at Arlington National Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, donations to Toys for Tots or Hospice would be appreciated.

Obituary
In Memory of Richard Otis Culver, Jr. -- English Funeral Chapels & Crematory, Coeur d'Alene, ID

Funeral Video
In Memory of Richard Otis Culver, Jr. -- English Funeral Chapels & Crematory

LCPL Marcus Mahdee FWB FL
OEF 09 May 2005

Marcus was a good friend of mine i played football with since middle school. Class act and good man. He was 19 years old.

These last ten years have been rough to say the least. Ive lost 3 friends that I went to boot/schools and fleet with. We all easd at the same time and I was the only one who got out of the corp. Within 1 year of my eas, they were all killed in iraq and 1 in bala murghad(msot 8222). This has bothered me immensly these last few years, that I left and moved on. But Ill never forget the good times and bad, and the honor to fight with such men has been and will be the climax of my life. Weve lost too many good men, and I can barely look at their pictures now without crying. I always feel like I left them, and that Im responsible and its tough. Semper FI ( never forget you devils)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

SGT Eric Williams. KIA 23JUL2012. Best friend and fellow medic.

RIP to the fallen and here is to a fast and full recovery to the injured. Your sacrifice will always be remembered!

RIP boys

SGT Joshua P. Rodgers and SGT Cameron H. Thomas

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/pjbVQ1d.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Well Solo, it's been over 12 years and I still miss you and Mack and all the guys at the SBASC. Best time of my life. Wish you were still around, you'd have liked this site and the guys on it. You'd also be pleased to know that every one of our SDM students came back, except Swindell who died of a heart attack --way too young.

So here goes, we still haven't forgotten you:

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
A sad farewell to a total non-warrior... who was one of my best friends in High School. A brother for sure.

His older brother served with me. His younger brother rode Harley's with me. He... was an actuary for an insurance company. Never had a beer before he turned 18. Didn't leave the state for college. Don't think he ever left the USA.... Same wife for 28 years. Two great sons. Church every Sunday. The biggest risk he ever took was buying a Buick... instead of a Chevy. We played Dungeons and Dragons together a lot as kids... Part of a group of 6 of us who were inseparable growing up.

10 days ago, he was at the gym... being healthy... when he threw a clot. Stroked out. Never woke up. Died at 6AM yesterday. Age 51.

Not a warrior... Unless you count epic D&D battles. But a brother nonetheless. RIP Sumu. Hope Gunny and Babs are waiting to greet you.

Sadly,

Sirhr

I did not personally know this warrior, but am still saddened by the loss of a brother. http://www.alcornfuneralhome.com/obituaries/matthew-paul-brinker/323/

1532799277217.png

Matthew Paul Brinker, 36, of Hawthorn, passed away on Friday, July 20, 2018. Born on February 13, 1982 in Brookville, he was a son of Gary L. and Linda R. (Lehner) Brinker.

He is survived by his parents, Gary L. Brinker of DuBois and Linda R. Brinker of Hawthorn, a sister; Melissa Persing and her husband D.J. of Franklin; four brothers, Burton Brinker and his wife Kristin of Silver Springs MD., Bruce Brinker of Pittsburgh, Ben Brinker and his wife Nicki of Distant, and Brandon Brinker and his wife Brandy of Hawthorn. He had many nieces and nephews he enjoyed loving on and showering with gifts and activities.

He is preceded in death by his maternal grandparents, Eugene and Rose Lehner and paternal grandparents, Jay and Ethel Brinker
Matt graduated from Redbank Valley High School in 2000. He was an outstanding wrestler where he was a PIAA state medalist, placing 7th. He was a member of the St. Charles Catholic Church in New Bethlehem. He loved to visiting and spending time in monasteries and had a special devotion to St. Michael the Archangel.

Matt was also very loved by his friends, to whom he was very loyal and patient. He loved to hunt and spend time in the outdoors, which directly led him into his military career.

Matt served his country as a scout sniper 4 years and 5 months in the Marine Corps with one deployment to Afghanistan and two to Iraq. He then moved to the Navy, where he successfully completed Basic Underwater Demolition/Seal (BUD/S) training and became a SEAL. Matt served 6 year and 7 months as a SEAL, with one national tasking deployment. He was one of the highest trained and capable snipers in the Navy and the Marines. He received two combat action ribbons, an Afghanistan Campaign Ribbon, two Iraq Campaign Ribbons and was an expert riflemen and pistol expert. He was a member of the Walter W. Craig Post 354 of New Bethlehem American Legion.

Visitation will be held on Monday, July 23, from 1 – 8 at the Alcorn Funeral Home in Hawthorn. A Rosary Service will be held at 12:30 pm preceding the visitation. A Mass of Christian Burial will be on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 11:00 am at the St. Charles Catholic Church in New Bethlehem with Rev. Father Sam Bungo, presiding. Interment will be in the Hawthorn Cemetery with full military honors.

In lieu of flowers the family suggests that memorial donation may be sent to https://www.gofundme.com/matthew-brinker-funeral-expenses to help with funeral costs. Any excess amount will go to a veteran association.

Online condolences may be sent to Matt’s family at www.alcornfuneralhome.com.

Reactions: MarinePMI
My good friend William "Bill" Ruger died this morning. He has been battling illness a long time, but we all thought he had beat it.

Great engineer, gun designer, car guy par-excellence... and a great all-around person. You could not ask for a better friend.

RIP Bill. You weren't one of the good guys. You were one of the great guys.

Sirhr

Reactions: cornhusker86
Just becuase people need to remember what was given. I Love you dad, I can only hope to be half the man you were. RIP WWII Vets

"Hi Jimmy,

Hope your day is going well. I do have dads diary. His entry was about his visit to Hiroshima and not Nagasaki. Is there another entry somewhat that talks about Nagasaki? His diary says his ship the USS Holland was in Nogoya, Japan on January 15, 1946 and they went over to Hiroshima sometime between January 15th and January 17th. He wrote “…went over to Hiroshima and to see what was left of it, ”not much” . Dad didn’t say anymore in his diary about it. I can only imagine the feelings he must have felt on seeing the impact of the nuclear bomb strike. I attached a pic of his ship, it is listed as a submarine tender. A bit of history, the Holland was re-classified from submarine tender AS-3 to repair ship ARG-18. Dad did talk about in his diary about a ship that was tied to their ship that sank and that most of the crew was lost. He said he new several members of the crew. Dad drew a sketch of the ship in his diary. I am sorry that his diary doesn’t discuss the Hiroshima visit in more detail."

I was honored to share the Nagaski discussion with my dad over a bottle tres generation sauza tequilia. Some shit is just not written down. It will live with me until I'm no more. Thank you dad for the gift of your respect.

My pa, bless his heart passed on to me the diary which i gave to my older bro. He's more reliable than me :). Not to be be shortshiftd: god bless my bro who shared this info. He also did some shit which got medal/photo op.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
RIP & a quick/full recovery to the injured

This is for a guy I knew named David. We were more acquaintances than close friends, but we saw each other a lot because he worked at a pub I frequent. He just passed earlier this week so it's fresh on my mind when I saw this thread.

Guy was mid-twenties like myself. Went Army right out of high school and did multiple tours in the middle east. Got out maybe two years ago and started working at a local place in my town. About 16 months ago, at the young age of 25, David was diagnosed with stage-four liver cancer.

I can't imagine going through hell over there and coming home just to go out like that...

RIP buddy, next rounds on me when we meet again.

Reactions: amos
My neighbor passed away yesterday. Danny “Danno” O’Shea. Great guy. Was in the Army and was stationed in Germany quite a while back. Will miss your commentary during the Rangers games.

My good friend William "Bill" Ruger died this morning. He has been battling illness a long time, but we all thought he had beat it.

Great engineer, gun designer, car guy par-excellence... and a great all-around person. You could not ask for a better friend.

RIP Bill. You weren't one of the good guys. You were one of the great guys.

Sirhr

A man I wish I would have been fortunate enough to meet , let alone befriend.

JUST A COMMON SOLDIER
(A Soldier Died Today)
by A. Lawrence Vaincourt

He was getting old and paunchy and his hair was falling fast,
And he sat around the Legion, telling stories of the past.
Of a war that he had fought in and the deeds that he had done,
In his exploits with his buddies; they were heroes, every one.

And tho' sometimes, to his neighbors, his tales became a joke,
All his Legion buddies listened, for they knew whereof he spoke.
But we'll hear his tales no longer for old Bill has passed away,
And the world's a little poorer, for a soldier died today.

He will not be mourned by many, just his children and his wife,
For he lived an ordinary and quite uneventful life.
Held a job and raised a family, quietly going his own way,
And the world won't note his passing, though a soldier died today.

When politicians leave this earth, their bodies lie in state,
While thousands note their passing and proclaim that they were great.
Papers tell their whole life stories, from the time that they were young,
But the passing of a soldier goes unnoticed and unsung.

Is the greatest contribution to the welfare of our land
A guy who breaks his promises and cons his fellow man?
Or the ordinary fellow who, in times of war and strife,
Goes off to serve his Country and offers up his life?

A politician's stipend and the style in which he lives
Are sometimes disproportionate to the service that he gives.
While the ordinary soldier, who offered up his all,
Is paid off with a medal and perhaps, a pension small.

It's so easy to forget them for it was so long ago,
That the old Bills of our Country went to battle, but we know
It was not the politicians, with their compromise and ploys,
Who won for us the freedom that our Country now enjoys.

Should you find yourself in danger, with your enemies at hand,
Would you want a politician with his ever-shifting stand?
Or would you prefer a soldier, who has sworn to defend
His home, his kin and Country and would fight until the end?

He was just a common soldier and his ranks are growing thin,
But his presence should remind us we may need his like again.
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.

If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.
Perhaps just a simple headline in a paper that would say,
Our Country is in mourning, for a soldier died today.

I am both surprised and saddened that mine was the only "like" that this poem received.

Man this day hurts.

RIP men of the sword. We raise arms, and bow together - Honor

Fathers, Brothers, Sons, Family, Friends, you did it. From the 6th Regiment Enlisted of the New York Militia in the Revolutionary War to the latest frakus. Liberty, it's on our DNA. This family-MyFamily-God Bless America.

Liberty

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate