• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RL15 to Varget

Duffy1298

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Jacksonville
Thinking about making the switch. I feel like RL15 is rather temp sensative. I hear that varget isnt as bad, have you guys had good accuracy with varget? I like RL15 alot, I just want less sensitive powder.

Re: RL15 to Varget

I use Varget and have not had an issue with temps. My adjustments come more from Density Altitude than velocity. Even then, its only a few 10ths of a mil. Guess the best thing would be to find an accuracy node for the Varget and compare the two. We should be in the hottest part of the year right now, then try some in the winter.

i have done so with rl 15 and noticed quite significant changes. hense this post haha. i just ordered a keg of varget lets see how it does.

VArget is great stuff especiaaly when you have large temp variations thru out the year. I love RL 15, but I had problems with it in different temps aswell.

Switched to Varget and now it is very consistent all year long!!

Good Luck!!

Different caliber but Varget for .223, AR-15 Service Rifle loads year round.

the diminished temp sensitivity of Varget was one of the reasons i choose it for my center-fire powder of choice.

that and it would work for my AR15, my 30-06 and my (then future) plans of adding of a .308 to my collection.

i've found sub ½ moa groups for the ar and the 30-06 so far, and think i have one for the 308 (as long as i do my part). I'm more than pleased with the results so far
smile.gif

I've used both RL-15 and Varget (43gr w/175 gr SMK) and get the same muzzle velocity in my AIAW.

Regarding temp sensitivity of RL-15, I've shot this load - over 10,000 rounds - from 20 degrees to just over 100 degrees and have not experienced any appreciable performance issues at all.

I was an RL-15 fan, made the switch to Varget. Until I went to pick up another 8 pounder. The IMR rep was in there. And well he threw his pitch to me about the 8208 XBR. Of course I was like, yeah, yeah. Pushing your stuff onto me. So he gave me a free pound. So I held off on the Varget.
Loaded up some of my 308, 223, and 6x45 with it. Thinking hell, it was free lets give it a shot. To my surprise, WOW. I really liked this stuff. And ended up getting the 8 pounder of 8208. So I loaded some 6.5 grendel with it. Nothing but good with it. It covers so much of my loads, I am so hooked on this stuff. On the web site it states that it is not sensitive to temp.
So you might want to take a look at IMR 8208 XBR, it is now my do all powder.

IMR-8208 is great with light and medium weight bullets but not so good with the heavier weight bullets in .308.

IMR-8208 works well up to 80-gr bullets in .223 but some AR-15's have short-stroke issues with it.

I use the longer 155gr lapua's with 8208. Forgot to mention that part. But I have never went with the heavier bullets yet. But that is some good advice on that. Thanks, saved me a few bucks trying a heavier bullet. Thats why a guy has to love these forums with the real world advice that can be picked up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shumate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was an RL-15 fan, made the switch to Varget. Until I went to pick up another 8 pounder. The IMR rep was in there. And well he threw his pitch to me about the 8208 XBR. Of course I was like, yeah, yeah. Pushing your stuff onto me. So he gave me a free pound. So I held off on the Varget.
Loaded up some of my 308, 223, and 6x45 with it. Thinking hell, it was free lets give it a shot. To my surprise, WOW. I really liked this stuff. And ended up getting the 8 pounder of 8208. So I loaded some 6.5 grendel with it. Nothing but good with it. It covers so much of my loads, I am so hooked on this stuff. On the web site it states that it is not sensitive to temp.
So you might want to take a look at IMR 8208 XBR, it is now my do all powder. </div></div>

As was stated it's best for the lighter bullets in .308 it has a larger temp stability range than Varget, but suffers the same lot to lot variation of late. When you pick up your next jug of XBR 8208 be sure to drop your charge weight down a little bit and work back up.