• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Road rage incident AAR

HeathenRifleman

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2011
Puget Sound, WA
Thought I would share this with you all and see what you think.

I was coming home from a friends about 3 weeks ago driving in the slow lane doing probably just under 65. I'm in the slow lane 'cause my exit is coming up and as I look in my rearview a honda accord is coming up fast behind me. As he slows down behind me and starts tailgating me he starts honking his horn. I think ok he probably wants to get past me. Keep in mind this is on I-5 north and it's about 5 lanes wide on a sunday no traffic. The only reason I don't get over and let him pass immediately is becuase there is a big tourbus on the side and behind me. Roughly at my 7:30. I accelerate to allow myself and the car behind me to clear the bus and when they clear the bus and pass me it's two big "homies" mad dogging me and shouting. As they pass on my left. I didn't want to stare directly at them and antagonize them more but I didn't want to take my eyes off the fuckers either. You never know. As we both got off on the same exit I passed them as the exit splits in two. I went left and they stayed in the right exit. Wow.

I'm curious what you guys think. I think the best thing in this situation is just defensive driving. But suppose they pull a gun and are intent on "bussin' a cap in my ass"? Hit the brakes? Pull over and run into the woods? lol I don't know. Luckily the freeway was wide open so I could have manuevered if I needed to. Last time I had an incident like this was in bumper-to-bumper in LA on a saturday night some guy got out of his car and kicked my driver side door. When we turned and looked at him his eyes got a little bigger, I guess he was expecting the volvo wagon to be filled with emo's. I threw it in park and me and my friend, who's not exactly the nicest looking fellow, got out and asked him what his problem was. Apparently he didn't have one. We talked about it afterwards and realized that we didn't make the smartest move. He could have shot us dead for all we knew. I didn't handle that one as smart as I did this one so I guess I've improved. I swear, for some reason these idiots always find me even though I'm a super calm driver. Anywho...

Re: Road rage incident AAR

They're just looking for a fight, they'll find one with somebody eventually, your job is to not be the one they find it with.

My life, family and freedom are far more important than proving my masculinity to a random thug/douche-bag.

I've had similar run ins with drivers and I posed the same question to my brother-in-law. I figured to slam on the brakes, but he brought up a fair point- depending on the position of the other car, why not try a pit maneuver/ram them. If they're dead set on getting at you, as long as their car is running they can.

I guess it boils down to the threat level you feel at the time. I wouldn't attempt that without a gun being brandished. To date I've responded with everything from brake-checking tailgaters and blowing kisses as they scream profanities to calmly pulling over and letting them pass.

In Seattle/Tacoma if you fight back or do anything agressive you both go to jail.

Best thing to just chill, be prepared and be able to out drive them...which isn't hard to do most times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeathenRifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious what you guys think. I think the best thing in this situation is just defensive driving. But suppose they pull a gun and are intent on "bussin' a cap in my ass"? </div></div>

I agree that the best approach is defensive driving.

If someone still wants to escalate the situation by brandishing a weapon, I am going to attempt to create space ASAP. If for some reason that option fails me, I have nearly four tons of HD truck that can be used to convince someone to pursue other means of entertainment. The problem here is that an inability to create space kinda implies that there is a lot of surrounding traffic, and I don't relish the idea of playing smash-'em-up in heavy traffic.

This is a fun mental exercise, but the most likely vehicular threat in my AO is some mouthbreather who is distracted by a cell phone. I got rear-ended by one of those last month in a construction zone
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeathenRifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious what you guys think. I think the best thing in this situation is just defensive driving. But suppose they pull a gun and are intent on "bussin' a cap in my ass"? Hit the brakes? Pull over and run into the woods?</div></div>

Would you feel better if they were to haul out bespoke Holland & Holland over-and-unders?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TZaRUpXO-0Q"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TZaRUpXO-0Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

One of the best road rage incidents I have ever seen started as many do - knucklehead A rolls down the ramp and enters I-5 at a high rate of speed until he starts riding knucklehead B's bumper. Knucklehead B taps his brakes. Now it is on.

Near 100 mph schinanigans ensue for @ 1 mile. Since I was in the left lane as knucklehead A came down the ramp I had a front row seat for the whole thing. It spun out of control immediately and was f*cked up enough that I just dialed 911 and rolled at a safe distance behind.

Knucklehead A, is now in the right lane with knucklehead B in the left - they are window to window and running their yaps. A starts to pull slightly ahead of B and then turns again to look out the window to confirm his PU's position relative to B's minivan; then cuts the wheel hard left and drills B. Remember we're rolling @ 100 mph here.... exciting doesn't even begin to describe it. Grace of God and all that kept the wheels down on knucklehead B's rig. At this point B totally gets out of it and moves to the right lane. While A makes a run for it. I roll with A while still on the phone with dispatch. After a mile or two A realizes why I am pacing behind him and gets off the freeway and parks at a McDonald's with me still on the phone @ 75 yards away. He is a 20 some odd yr old dipshit and dipshit B was a 40 something family man that had gone from Chuck Bronson to looking like a scared, pasty faced, middle aged man that had soiled himself.

People are passive aggressive in a vehicle. People love to run their yap and behave as if they are 10' tall and bulletproof from the relative safety of their vehicle. Most folks aren't going to press the issue if you just calmly get out of their way. However, there are definitely some folks out there who will loose their shit over passive aggressive behavior - even when they are in the wrong. Sadly it can easily cost someone's life.

Good luck

Dude... this is Washington... Almost no one ever pulls a gun here. Hell, I have a hard time getting people to want to even pull over and settle it on the shoulder. People drive full retard in WA to the point that you have to speed/pass in the slow lane because the fast lane is filled with smug bastards in their Prius that think they're saving the environment but never stop to ask themselves what happens to the batteries when they need replaced. If it's sunny they slow down because they're scared... If it's raining they slow down because their scared... If there's a WSP with someone pulled over 10 lanes across the road facing the other direction they slow down because their scared...

Next time give them a nice little brake check and invite them to stop on the shoulder for some negotiation. If they pull over once you stop and get out they'll just speed off back into traffic giving you the finger because they now feel some false sense of courage...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell, I have a hard time getting people to want to even pull over and settle it on the shoulder.</div></div>

I would be extremely leery of this approach, because the type of person who takes someone up on an offer to "settle it on the shoulder" is not going to be the type of person to offer a logical and well-reasoned conversation about their conduct behind the wheel. The odds of this ending poorly are far too high for my personal comfort level.

It would suck to sit in a courtroom and explain to a jury why you decided to start such a confrontation, and how that confrontation escalated to the point where you needed to employ force in the name of self-defense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell, I have a hard time getting people to want to even pull over and settle it on the shoulder.</div></div>

I would be extremely leery of this approach, because the type of person who takes someone up on an offer to "settle it on the shoulder" is not going to be the type of person to offer a logical and well-reasoned conversation about their conduct behind the wheel. The odds of this ending poorly are far too high for my personal comfort level.

It would suck to sit in a courtroom and explain to a jury why you decided to start such a confrontation, and how that confrontation escalated to the point where you needed to employ force in the name of self-defense. </div></div>

Lol... It's all about how you start the conversation. I'd say if you get what I mean by that, but I don't think you will.
grin.gif

<span style="font-style: italic">"Gee officer, I pulled over to the side because that gentleman was honking his horn at me and tailgating, so I wanted to get out of his way. He pulled over behind me and ran up to me with his fist clench and screaming. When I realized I was in imminent danger I reacted defensively and broke his nose with my elbow. The kidney shots were merely to immobilize him as he was still screaming threats of violence."</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">"Why did I get out of my vehicle? Once he pulled over behind me I thought he might have been trying to inform me of something wrong with my vehicle or some other emergency, so I wanted to meet him on the side of the road away from traffic for his safety."</span>

Did you say Volvo?
Was it pink?
Does it have a Kerry-Edwards bumper sticker on it?

If that's your idea of a good time, great - have fun, and let me know if a jury accepts your explanation of how the conflict started and escalated. I'd rather get home in one piece, and not force my wife to explain to my son why daddy isn't coming home because he couldn't let it go when someone was tailgating him a bit too closely.

i had a fun one the other day. while driving my 350Z on an on ramp to the 35W south, an older f-150 flies up right behind me and starts honking. the second i merge onto the highway i slam on the brakes and punch it, im a bit of an instigator. this guy flies past me (middle finger out the window of course, gotta stay classy, he looks like a methhead) and proceeds to pass on the shoulder. im pretty confident that i can keep up with this guy so i follow him at a safe distance for a bit. i pass him and he tries to ram me, i get by and he passes a few more cars on the shoulder. i notice we are going 110 (thought 97ish f-150's had govnrs) and back off, i really didnt want to get a "racing" ticket. figured i would let him get one and i could honk at him as i pass.

there are never cops around when this stuff happens.

Best thing is to drive defensively enough not to get pulled in to start with. Sometimes... however... that is not possible.

Create space, drive straight and make a hands free call. If you get ran off the road or otherwise attacked, then by all means, defend yourself, by whatever means appropriate to the situation.

Had a "tough guy 20 yr old urban yute" get PO'ed at me a couple years ago, returning from duck hunt in LA to TX. I'm in the slow lane on a divided state highway, in a suburban area. He pulls alongside screaming at me, pulls in front and slams on his brakes. Now.... he is in a small little rice burner, I'm in an F350, pulling a boat trailer. Dodged him, kept on going. He catches back up and is waving a small paintball pistol at me - says he is gonna "f#@% me up". Not with that, boy, you ain't gonna.

So while he is screaming his adolescent head off, he fails to notice the light in front of us, looks up to see nowhere to go. Jerks it into the median, goes thru the intersection backwards, spinning into the weeds on the other side. Into the ditch, wheels off the ground. Ha.. Karma arrived just in time sucker!

Meanwhile, I am thinking, OK if it comes to a fight, which of the half dozen guns in the car to reach for and have ready???? Worry about the press later, gotta live first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If that's your idea of a good time, great - have fun, and let me know if a jury accepts your explanation of how the conflict started and escalated. I'd rather get home in one piece, and not force my wife to explain to my son why daddy isn't coming home because he couldn't let it go when someone was tailgating him a bit too closely.
</div></div>

Do you drive a Prius? I'll be it has a "Coexist" sticker on it doesn't it? There's a difference between someone tailgating and someone who's doing so while blaring their horn and aggressively trying to fuck my tailpipe while putting both mine and everyone elses life at risk if I have to emergency stop for any reason. Of course you're one of those people that I'm sure tells your kids "If the bully picks on you just walk away and you'll be a big boy for it." 1/2 the problem with our Society these days is the "walk away" mentality which allows the stupidity to progress and rewards morons for bad behavior.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you drive a Prius?</div></div>

Na, I'm not quite manly enough for a Prius, so I have to get by with a couple of really wimpy vehicles:

IMAG0058.jpg

2012-04-12_19-43-12_737.jpg

There aren't any stickers to be found on either - the Ford just covers its rear bumper with exhaust soot, so it wouldn't matter much anyways. I know that neither one comes close to a Mustang on 22s with Lambo doors, so I don't expect you to be impressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course you're one of those people that I'm sure tells your kids "If the bully picks on you just walk away and you'll be a big boy for it." 1/2 the problem with our Society these days is the "walk away" mentality which allows the stupidity to progress and rewards morons for bad behavior. </div></div>

My kid is busy learning the less-subtle points of non-violence, such as not kicking me while I change his diaper - but thanks for your concern about his upbringing. Rest assured that he will learn that there is little excuse for escalating the level of violence, but he will also learn how to respond to anyone who unwisely makes the choice to escalate.

In the meantime, enjoy your impromptu roadside toughman contests. I also hope that lying to the cops works out well for you. With even a modicum of success in either endeavor, you will certainly have proved yourself to be a far bigger man than myself.

Its always best not to get sucked into someone else's bullshit attitude. Its so hard sometimes,because there are some real stupid people in this world,but its always best to shake it off and live to fight another day.

I guess I'm just more even-tempered than most, I don't get too pizzed off with idiot drivers. If I see someone driving like an idiot I try and keep my distance and hold my course. I just drive my own pace and if someone gets angry or road rage with me I don't pay them much attention, though I do like the idea of blowing them a kiss.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HeathenRifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious what you guys think. I think the best thing in this situation is just defensive driving. But suppose they pull a gun and are intent on "bussin' a cap in my ass"? Hit the brakes? Pull over and run into the woods?</div></div>

Would you feel better if they were to haul out bespoke Holland & Holland over-and-unders?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TZaRUpXO-0Q"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TZaRUpXO-0Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

As long as they're bespoke it's fine with me haha
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if someone gets angry or road rage with me I don't pay them much attention, though I do like the idea of blowing them a kiss. </div></div>

i've had plenty of good laughs waiving @ angry drivers
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course you're one of those people that I'm sure tells your kids "If the bully picks on you just walk away and you'll be a big boy for it." 1/2 the problem with our Society these days is the "walk away" mentality which allows the stupidity to progress and rewards morons for bad behavior. </div></div>

So your family is in the car, wife and children, and you're gonna pick a fight in a vehicle going 65+ mph with two unknown subjects?

You aren't comparing apples to apples here. A bully on the playground at school isn't driving a couple of tons of steel at high speeds and possibly a crack head, or gang member in his 20's hopped up on youthful testosterone.

Your life isn't worth more than that? Mine is, and my families lives are worth WAY more than that. And even if it was just myself, I provide for my family. If I'm dead, who is going to take care of them and protect them?

That's my job. If someone wants to take that job from me, I'll defend against that, but I'm not going to provoke it, nor do I feel the need to act "tough" and make someone else feel scared. I've nothing to prove to scum like that.

You don't have to be a victim, but you don't have to escalate situations either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

IMAG0058.jpg

2012-04-12_19-43-12_737.jpg

I know that neither one comes close to a Mustang on 22s with Lambo doors, so I don't expect you to be impressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course you're one of those people that I'm sure tells your kids "If the bully picks on you just walk away and you'll be a big boy for it." 1/2 the problem with our Society these days is the "walk away" mentality which allows the stupidity to progress and rewards morons for bad behavior. </div></div>

In the meantime, enjoy your impromptu roadside toughman contests. I also hope that lying to the cops works out well for you. With even a modicum of success in either endeavor, you will certainly have proved yourself to be a far bigger man than myself.
</div></div>

See now if you actually read what I said back when I posted the photo of my old car, you would have read that I said I like all cars (Minus the Prius) and I don't sit around comparing my car to everyone elses... but you didn't. I would love to comment that you have great taste in vehicles and I wish I had a 300 SRT8, but I'll let you make all the assumptions you want...

As for the 2nd part... Who's lying. Anytime an incident has occurred it's been the other idiot running up to me like a "toughman". I prefer to think of it as Natural Selection. And I don't know where you got the assumption that this had anything to do with who's a bigger man or that I said you lacked in that dept, so I'll assume you have some insecurity issue from somewhere else and like many others in here you naturally assume someones attacking your manhood just because they disagree with you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdkidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course you're one of those people that I'm sure tells your kids "If the bully picks on you just walk away and you'll be a big boy for it." 1/2 the problem with our Society these days is the "walk away" mentality which allows the stupidity to progress and rewards morons for bad behavior. </div></div>

So your family is in the car, wife and children, and you're gonna pick a fight in a vehicle going 65+ mph with two unknown subjects?

You aren't comparing apples to apples here. A bully on the playground at school isn't driving a couple of tons of steel at high speeds and possibly a crack head, or gang member in his 20's hopped up on youthful testosterone.

Your life isn't worth more than that? Mine is, and my families lives are worth WAY more than that. And even if it was just myself, I provide for my family. If I'm dead, who is going to take care of them and protect them?

That's my job. If someone wants to take that job from me, I'll defend against that, but I'm not going to provoke it, nor do I feel the need to act "tough" and make someone else feel scared. I've nothing to prove to scum like that.

You don't have to be a victim, but you don't have to escalate situations either. </div></div>

I don't with my family in the car, the OP never said he had family in his car, and I never gave any indication that anyone should act in that manner with family present. I was speaking as if I were in the same position as the OP ie solo and driving down the road. But why is it anytime someone mentions anything with violence in any manner here comes some ass to insinuate someone is trying to look "tough" and give the impression that they're above all of it? What do expect for a response? I don't give care whether you think I'm "tough" or not. You do you and I'll do me and unless we're ever doing each other you won't have to worry about it lol...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell, I have a hard time getting people to want to even pull over and settle it on the shoulder.
</div></div>

I'm curious, just how many of these vehicular disagreements have you settled on the side of the road? You sound like you speak from a position of numerous experiences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I realized I was in imminent danger I reacted defensively and broke his nose with my elbow.

</div></div>

Same question on the number of noses you've broken with your elbow.

You just make it sound so much easier than I imagined it would be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell, I have a hard time getting people to want to even pull over and settle it on the shoulder.
</div></div>

I'm curious, just how many of these vehicular disagreements have you settled on the side of the road? You sound like you speak from a position of numerous experiences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I realized I was in imminent danger I reacted defensively and broke his nose with my elbow.

</div></div>

Same question on the number of noses you've broken with your elbow.

You just make it sound so much easier than I imagined it would be. </div></div>

Lol... I've had 3 roadside "disagreements" and none ended in a broken nose for the other party as most people aren't quick to get physical but talk tough from the other side of their door. One of them the guy was with his kids and I felt bad for the kids so I left it alone. As for breaking noses with an elbow it's not as hard as you would think Jason...

The only way to beat an asshole...is to be a bigger asshole.
And you guys would NOT believe how many times I gotta' tell myself that everyday.

I'm a former tractor trailer driver and I take driving REALLY REALLY seriously.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only way to beat an asshole...is to be a bigger asshole.
And you guys would NOT believe how many times I gotta' tell myself that everyday.

</div></div>

I couldn't be a truck driver. I've seen how stupid people get around you guys and I'd end up playing Mad Max with a Semi... lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only way to beat an asshole...is to be a bigger asshole.

</div></div>

I couldn't be a truck driver. I've seen how stupid people get around you guys and I'd end up playing Mad Max with a Semi... lol </div></div>
no kidding, i just made a uhaul drive for 1300 miles and now have a new respect for those guys.

Usually when I get tail gated, the tail gater finds himself going slower and slower until he changes lanes. I don't hit the brakes or otherwise encourage his wrath, I just go slow. Sure makes people mad.
I would like to have a bumper sticker "The closer you get, the slower I go".
It is also to make the collision less if I do have to stop in an emergency.
I had a deputy sheriff tailgating me one night, and I did slam on the brakes in a panic. He stopped me, of course, and I asked him didn't he see that big black dog that ran out in front of me. Of course he said no, so I explained to him that if he hadn't been so damned close to my bumper, he would have.
It all ended well....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And I don't know where you got the assumption that this had anything to do with who's a bigger man or that I said you lacked in that dept, so I'll assume you have some insecurity issue from somewhere else and like many others in here you naturally assume someones attacking your manhood just because they disagree with you.</div></div>

So you didn't mean to attack my manhold when you accused me of raising my child in a certain fashion, or when you assumed I drove a particular type of vehicle that you associate with less-than-manly behavior? Yeah, uh huh, <span style="font-style: italic">sure</span>. We'll leave it to everyone else to decide who has the insecurities, but in my experience in the world, the type of person who starts fights and then brags of it in public has their own share of issues.

Besides, you're still overlooking the major issue in starting a fight on the shoulder of a busy road:

1) There is a high probability of eyewitnesses who may fail to agree with your side of the story.

2) If you escalate the fight and end up using force, you are going to get Zimmerman'd. In my state of residence, if I am not on my own property, I can only use deadly force if there is no other alternative. Initiating the fight potentially fails that simple test, even if the fight starts off with much lower levels of force. You might have the time and money to defend yourself against manslaughter charges in court, but I sure don't... not unless my life or the life of an innocent third party absolutely depends upon it.

3) If you escalate the fight and it results in the death of the other person, do you want to live with that for the rest of your life? I certainly do not.

4) If you escalate the fight and end up in the hospital or a pine box because you pick on someone who is bigger, better trained, or better armed, is it really worth it? Not for me.

As I said above, and I'll say it again in all sincerity - I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. If you can use the threat of violence to change someone's ways, great. My experience with the sort of assholes who commit serial acts of roadrage suggests that they won't be swayed one bit, but maybe that's because of my own failings in this area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And I don't know where you got the assumption that this had anything to do with who's a bigger man or that I said you lacked in that dept, so I'll assume you have some insecurity issue from somewhere else and like many others in here you naturally assume someones attacking your manhood just because they disagree with you.</div></div>

So you didn't mean to attack my manhold when you accused me of raising my child in a certain fashion, or when you assumed I drove a particular type of vehicle that you associate with less-than-manly behavior? Yeah, uh huh, <span style="font-style: italic">sure</span>. We'll leave it to everyone else to decide who has the insecurities, but in my experience in the world, the type of person who starts fights and then brags of it in public has their own share of issues.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Nope... but apparently you think manhood equates to the car you drive. I can see how you would have gotten it from the comment about raising kids though so I will apologize for that. As for my own share of issues, who doesn't? Oh wait... apparently your a model citizen with no issues as by your condescending attitude.</span>

Besides, you're still overlooking the major issue in starting a fight on the shoulder of a busy road:

1) There is a high probability of eyewitnesses who may fail to agree with your side of the story.

<span style="color: #FF0000">That's if people bothered to pay attention or care around here, and they don't unless it's a cop involved.</span>

2) If you escalate the fight and end up using force, you are going to get Zimmerman'd. In my state of residence, if I am not on my own property, I can only use deadly force if there is no other alternative. Initiating the fight potentially fails that simple test, even if the fight starts off with much lower levels of force. You might have the time and money to defend yourself against manslaughter charges in court, but I sure don't... not unless my life or the life of an innocent third party absolutely depends upon it.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Here's your problem... You assume I'm going to go to the point of shooting an idiot. You also assume that I will throw the first blow without cause. In this state the second you're combative & aggressive, or the second you so much as clench a fist, I own you... </span>

3) If you escalate the fight and it results in the death of the other person, do you want to live with that for the rest of your life? I certainly do not.

<span style="color: #FF0000">I'm an asshole, so frankly it doesn't bother me...</span>

4) If you escalate the fight and end up in the hospital or a pine box because you pick on someone who is bigger, better trained, or better armed, is it really worth it? Not for me.

<span style="color: #FF0000">2 words... Natural Selection... You reap what you sow, but unlike everybody else that gets there ass kicked I'm not going to blame the other party if I'm the instigator. And I've received my share of ass whoopings...</span>

As I said above, and I'll say it again in all sincerity - I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. If you can use the threat of violence to change someone's ways, great. My experience with the sort of assholes who commit serial acts of roadrage suggests that they won't be swayed one bit, but maybe that's because of my own failings in this area.

<span style="color: #FF0000">The threat of violence assumes I'm getting out of the car and I automatically start swinging. I meet force with force. If some fuckhead gets out of his car and starts screaming and coming at me in a combative manner then I meet them with equal force. Is that method for everyone, nope. Is it reckless... sure. Will I ever look myself in the mirror and feel regret for allowing some idiot to sway me in my life to move over so as to not risk any harm to myself while they go on placing others in fear... fuck no. Ask yourself this. Do you think those same aggressive assholes only do it to male drivers? Do you think their behavior stops at driving?
</span>
</div></div>

Eric, I was at the Starbuck's drive thru a few months ago in Gig Harbor. Now since you're not from here the drive thru entry here is confusing as it's attached to a bank parking lot. Either way, I'm pulling forward and a lady accidentally cut someone off pulling in the line because she didn't realize how the drive thru is setup (there's a waiting area on the other side of lane of traffic so people don't realize there's other people waiting across the street essentially). I look in my side mirror as I hear a male go up to the drivers window and pound his fist on it screaming at the lady "You're in such a hurry to get your coffee... blah blah blah". The lady apologized several times and was obviously scared as this asshole I highly doubt would have approached a male in the same manner. He still continued to scream at her despite her apologies and what did everyone else do in line... nothing. What did I do... I stepped out of my SUV, in a suit I might add, and walked back to the guy saying "She apologized already so let it go..." His response... "Fuck you mind your own business" My response... "I'm now minding your business..." He then decides he's going to walk-up on me like he's tough mouthing off "What are you going to do... swing at me?" My response... "Nope... I'm going to break your shit off, choke you out, call the cops, have you arrested for assaulting the woman, then sue your ass since you drive a nice Lexus and have a lot more to lose than me... Start walking..." His response... walking.

Could he have possibly pulled again, maybe. Does that mean I should have stayed in my car when every other male in the area didn't have the balls to do what was right... Nope. The result... not the woman being berated, but the woman in the car in front of me payed for my drink and food and told them what happened. The gal behind me told them what happened confirming it, and the Starbuck's told the fuckhead his business was not welcome there anymore. This whole state has become filled with voyeurs who would rather watch then get involved and I'm not going to be one of them.

I was a passenger in the car while my wife was driving a couple months ago, had a big truck come flying up on our ass in the fast lane and start tailgating us really bad. We were doing 75-80 which is the norm for fast lane on 91 in CT and this a$$hole keeps tailgating us, I tell my wife to just ignore it, few ticks later he passes us on the right cuts us off and slams on his breaks coming extremely close to causing a major accident with me, my wife and my dog in the car. I should have probably followed him and knocked him senseless but he wasn't worth going to jail for. Some people are just always looking for trouble, and with any luck people like this will find that trouble someday and it will bite them in the ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treymchattie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had a fun one the other day. while driving my 350Z on an on ramp to the 35W south, an older f-150 flies up right behind me and starts honking. the second i merge onto the highway i slam on the brakes and punch it, im a bit of an instigator. this guy flies past me (middle finger out the window of course, gotta stay classy, he looks like a methhead) and proceeds to pass on the shoulder. im pretty confident that i can keep up with this guy so i follow him at a safe distance for a bit. i pass him and he tries to ram me, i get by and he passes a few more cars on the shoulder. i notice we are going 110 (thought 97ish f-150's had govnrs) and back off, i really didnt want to get a "racing" ticket. figured i would let him get one and i could honk at him as i pass.

<span style="font-weight: bold">there are never cops around when this stuff happens.</span> </div></div>

You mean like, one to ticket you for about a half-dozen violations? Acting like an idiot because someone else is acting like an idiot is never a solution.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eric, I was at the Starbuck's drive thru a few months ago in Gig Harbor. Now since you're not from here the drive thru entry here is confusing as it's attached to a bank parking lot. Either way, I'm pulling forward and a lady accidentally cut someone off pulling in the line because she didn't realize how the drive thru is setup (there's a waiting area on the other side of lane of traffic so people don't realize there's other people waiting across the street essentially). I look in my side mirror as I hear a male go up to the drivers window and pound his fist on it screaming at the lady "You're in such a hurry to get your coffee... blah blah blah". The lady apologized several times and was obviously scared as this asshole I highly doubt would have approached a male in the same manner. He still continued to scream at her despite her apologies and what did everyone else do in line... nothing. What did I do... I stepped out of my SUV, in a suit I might add, and walked back to the guy saying "She apologized already so let it go..." His response... "Fuck you mind your own business" My response... "I'm now minding your business..." He then decides he's going to walk-up on me like he's tough mouthing off "What are you going to do... swing at me?" My response... "Nope... I'm going to break your shit off, choke you out, call the cops, have you arrested for assaulting the woman, then sue your ass since you drive a nice Lexus and have a lot more to lose than me... Start walking..." His response... walking.

Could he have possibly pulled again, maybe. Does that mean I should have stayed in my car when every other male in the area didn't have the balls to do what was right... Nope. The result... not the woman being berated, but the woman in the car in front of me payed for my drink and food and told them what happened. The gal behind me told them what happened confirming it, and the Starbuck's told the fuckhead his business was not welcome there anymore. This whole state has become filled with voyeurs who would rather watch then get involved and I'm not going to be one of them. </div></div>

Yep, people will stand around and watch someone get a mud hole stomped in them. Who knows what the fucker would have done. If our society was halfway sane everyone would have rolled down their window and told the homo to get back in the car and leave her alone after he made his little piece. It's not that we started randomly getting soft, it's just that the nanny state has slowly been taking the will out of people to handle business. Call the police, don't stick your neck out! There is no way to sue someone for not helping you when you're in need unless you have a specific duty. As soon as you help someone you're exposing yourself to possible liability. If you're dying on the side of the road and I just happen to drive by, I can stop and watch you bleed out. I have no duty to help you. Great system huh?

At one of my previous jobs in CA I was hosing off the mats in the back one night closing and I look over and I see this guy leaned back against a cab who just got another dude in a rear choke. I'm watching and he's got the choke in good. Usually at this point I would literally be spraying the shit out of him with the hose but he was out of range lol. So I yell at him to let go or I'm going to come over there. Of course he's drunk. The guys arms start drooping so I start cruising over there. Then the guy goes limp. Now I'm sprinting at him telling him I'm gonna make him regret not listening. Wouldn't you know as soon as I just get to the fucker he lets go. The guy that he was choking hits the deck completely limp. I've never seen anyone out from a choke as long as he was. I was pretty worried that he was fucked up. We got the dude awake and I told him that he needs a new friend after I found out they were buddies. Then I gave mr. bjj a piece of my mind.

The funny thing is during this whole episode there were probably 10 people standing there who could have stopped it. Here's the kicker as I walked back to the bar one of the bartenders told me I should not have got involved because of the liability. They got sued a couple years before. Well I wasn't really in the mood to hear that so I told him next time some douche rushes behind the bar I'll sit back and drink my cranberry juice, sprite, and lime!(which is a tasty drink if you can't drink haha)

After writing what I did 2 or 3 pages ago that the only way to beat an asshole is to be a bigger asshole, I've decided an addendum was in order.

How many of us would or have stood up to bullies? How many of us believe the saying that evil will only prevail when good men do nothing? How many of us are outraged when we see people behaving in irresponsible ways that endanger innocent people? Probably every one of us. Right or wrong, I identify idiot drivers (i.e., people driving too fast for traffic, too fast for their OWN skill level, too fast for weather conditions) as bullies. They're little more than "threats" driving a 21 million grain bullet. And they get away with it why? Because no one will or can legally stop them.

So, I just do my driving constantly repeating my mantra of "I am not the world's cop, I cannot right the world's wrongs." Because otherwise, I would take action and then I'd get arrested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was at the Starbuck's drive thru a few months ago in Gig Harbor. Now since you're not from here the drive thru entry here is confusing as it's attached to a bank parking lot. Either way, I'm pulling forward and a lady accidentally cut someone off pulling in the line because she didn't realize how the drive thru is setup (there's a waiting area on the other side of lane of traffic so people don't realize there's other people waiting across the street essentially). I look in my side mirror as I hear a male go up to the drivers window and pound his fist on it screaming at the lady "You're in such a hurry to get your coffee... blah blah blah". The lady apologized several times and was obviously scared as this asshole I highly doubt would have approached a male in the same manner. He still continued to scream at her despite her apologies and what did everyone else do in line... nothing. What did I do... I stepped out of my SUV, in a suit I might add, and walked back to the guy saying "She apologized already so let it go..." His response... "Fuck you mind your own business" My response... "I'm now minding your business..." He then decides he's going to walk-up on me like he's tough mouthing off "What are you going to do... swing at me?" My response... "Nope... I'm going to break your shit off, choke you out, call the cops, have you arrested for assaulting the woman, then sue your ass since you drive a nice Lexus and have a lot more to lose than me... Start walking..." His response... walking.

Could he have possibly pulled again, maybe. Does that mean I should have stayed in my car when every other male in the area didn't have the balls to do what was right... Nope. The result... not the woman being berated, but the woman in the car in front of me payed for my drink and food and told them what happened. The gal behind me told them what happened confirming it, and the Starbuck's told the fuckhead his business was not welcome there anymore. This whole state has become filled with voyeurs who would rather watch then get involved and I'm not going to be one of them. </div></div>
that's awesome!

IF you feel the need to escalate with these road rage jackasses, I would actually prefer you choose Broker's method...so you don't run over my wife and kids on the highway.

I won't try to comment on when it is right or wrong to confront morons....it is all situation dependent. I will say that I do think that with the Starbucks incident above it would be hard not to intervene - but when you do it had better not be because you are pissed, because you need to have a clear head and a plan. Not saying you don't Broker, but if I'm not mistaken I think you mentioned earlier something to the effect that few people up there carry. It sounds like you were implying that many around there dont have either the toughness or equipment to back up their mouth. Just keep in mind that won't always be the case so look for advantages. Good on ya for helping that woman out, I think it was the right thing to do. Just be ready in case the guy is the one in a million badass.