• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rocksett - why is it necessary?

chungus

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2022
Texas
I have a couple rifles with cherry bombs to attach the suppressor to. The first rifle I put the cherry bomb on with nothing a few years ago and frankly didn’t even know you were supposed to use rocksett at the time. I wanted to put the can on a different rifle and couldn’t get the cherry bomb off. I didn’t try anything crazy and probably could get it off somehow if I had to but it definitely wasn’t coming loose on its own. I ordered another cherry bomb to put on the other rifle and was reading about using rocksett to secure it. Is this really necessary? I have never had an issue with the other one coming loose.

I used the crap Surefire sent with their SOCOM closed tine flash suppressor. (whatever that is) Is sat unused for months while my can was in ATF jail.
First day on the range with the can... damn thing came loose.
No... I didn't do a "meltdown" style burn in either.
Took it to the gunsmith and told him to use Rocksett. I almost made him P&W it.

I've installed 4 Keymo adapters with Rocksett and on the 5th, thought I would experiment. I put high temp anti seize on the threads, timed and torqued to 25 ft lbs as suggested by Deadair, so far no issues. I witnessed marked it, been about 15 cycles.
You may have carbon lock on that CB, soak with a good penetrant for a day and try again. Clamp the barrel, use a tight fitting wrench and pop with a hammer.

It’s all fun and games until you bury that cherry bomb (no external wrench flats) in a Q can that’s not HUB compatible, carbon lock it to the can, and it comes off with the can. Now it’s stuck there and you have a new puzzle…

I used the crap Surefire sent with their SOCOM closed tine flash suppressor. (whatever that is) Is sat unused for months while my can was in ATF jail.
First day on the range with the can... damn thing came loose.
No... I didn't do a "meltdown" style burn in either.
Took it to the gunsmith and told him to use Rocksett. I almost made him P&W it.
The junk Surefire included with my 3 prong was all gummed up useless coming out the tube I didn't even bother trying to use it. For $135 you would think the bottom line would allow for some useable product in a tube... Guess margins are tight these days.

The junk Surefire included with my 3 prong was all gummed up useless coming out the tube I didn't even bother trying to use it. For $135 you would think the bottom line would allow for some useable product in a tube... Guess margins are tight these days.
Those little single serve tubes of rock set are hot garbage. At roughly $20, a 2 oz bottle seems spendy, but I’ve had much better success with it than the free-bee thread locker. And, it’s sat in a hot garage for a couple of years without going “off.” I’m not sure what the deal is with the singles, but they suck.

It’s all fun and games until you bury that cherry bomb (no external wrench flats) in a Q can that’s not HUB compatible, carbon lock it to the can, and it comes off with the can. Now it’s stuck there and you have a new puzzle…

Yup.

I like the Plan B mounting system, but the Q mounts are asking for trouble.

Rearden is the way to go for Plan B.

It was necessary because before I used it, I never listened to my heart nor did I know anyone who had the look.

-Stan

IMG_1426.jpeg

Use Rocksett and be done, it just works. In time you'll realize it was a good idea and after awhile you won't even think about it.

Rocksett or red loctite it doesn’t matter. Too much torque or product and you’ll destroy whatever if you’re a gorilla.

Reactions: BAMAboy18
Everything Kevin touches is hot garbage...The AAC mounting systems, the first SIG suppressors, and now the Q stuff...

Personal bias aside...This is why I strongly recommend against buying Q products...They just plain suck. They're overpriced, overhyped by fanboys, and overrated in performance.

Rocksett or red loctite it doesn’t matter. Too much torque or product and you’ll destroy whatever if you’re a gorilla.
That's me! I wanted to move a muzzle brake from my AR to a bolt gun. I didn't own a reaction rod, then now I have both small & large. I sheared off the index pin on the barrel extension, even after soaking it. Diamondback fixed it and removed the MB! I have 2 Surefire MBs and probably 10 Warcomps, most were bought used so I bought the 2oz bottle. So my experience is, be sure I want it before committing myself, because I expect it to be pretty well permanent. As far as carbon lock, Surefire has an awesome solution, just unlock the collar & shoot the can off!