• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rotary vs Vibratory/Rotary Tumbler

Re: Rotary vs Vibratory/Rotary Tumbler

I use both - a vibrating for reg and a cement mixer for big batches - IMO the vibrating does the job a little faster/ more efficient

I use corn cob fine, as large likes to stick in the flash hole

stainless media, ultrasonic, walnut all have their own fans

Those are both vibratory. If that's the HF one I'm thinking of, it's incredibly aggressive and ridiculously loud. Not recommended for brass cases.

I have no experience with the Hornady, but I'm using a Lyman, and it works great. Very quiet.

As for media, I recommend 14/20 (medium-fine) corn cob with a bit of Flitz polish. The Flitz really makes a world of difference. Here's a good deal on corn cob:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/499763/econoline_526020g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

Rotary tumblers work best with stainless media.

Yup, that's the right one. The first time, use a bit more. Maybe .5-1 oz. Then every 5 batches or so, add another capful. I fill the bowl about 3/4 full of media. The brass should be pretty clean within an hour, but will get shinier depending on how long you leave it. I often used to put mine in at night and cleaned it out in the morning.

I too use the lyman with walnut media (I get at harbor freight for 10 bux a box) with a cap-full of flitz (every 5 batches or so). I have noticed if you add a "splash" of water to each batch that doesn't recieve the flitz, the brass shines up nicely.

Drillspot is a great place for bulk tumbling media.

I have a vibratory (Lyman) and rotary (Thumlers)cae cleaner.

The lyman and corn cob are used for my pistol brass. Gets the outside shiny and the inside clean enough.

The thumlers uses stainless steel pins and is used for all my rifle brass. Deprime prior to cleaning, run them in the rotary for an hour, and bamcis. Your brass lloks factory new or better. Inside, outside, primer pocket are all squeaky clean.

At an estate sale I got about 50lbs of Lyman media, all kinds. I use that plus kitty litter, to save the media. Also tear up a dryer sheet and put in the tumbler as well, it catches all the dirt and crude on the cases instead of dirting your media up. I use viberatory tumbler and wont look for anything else.

I use a thumblers tumbler with stainless steel media. Never wears out and works great in about 2 hours. Been using the tumbler about 20 years and it is getting so it doesn't start every time and I have to give it a turn to get it rolling. Probably need to get a new one. Will do 15 lbs at a time.

How much .223 or .308 brass will a 15 lb Thumler hold? There are some good deals on 2x3lb Thumler units available right now, and I'd end up paying as much for one of those as for a 5 lb Hornady tumler.

P.S. Stainless Steel vs ceramic media for a rotary tumbler, thoughts?