• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rothco or TAD Jackets

CaptRob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2010
Mississippi
Im looking at buying a new jacket and really like the TAD Stealth hoodie nd the Rothco Special Ops Tactical but haven't seen either in person. I would love ome input from someone that has one.

Re: Rothco or TAD Jackets

I've owned a TAD Stealth for a couple years +, I've been quite pleased with it. I chose the TAD, because at the time, was the only one I could fi d that I liked with a waterproof membrane. I wasn't too worried about the breathibility of it, as I wasn't going to be using it for hight output activities. I'm also located in WA state where it's plenty damp and cold 8 months out of the year.
All and all I can't really name any faults with the coat. It is a bit pricey, but so are any of the other decent options out there. Plus it looks as good as it did the day I got it. You can find some pretty extensive reviews on Military Moron's. He covers pretty much everything you need to know.

I highly recommend the TAD stealth, I wear my Recon hoodie almost every day, my stealth when it's moist out, and my Spectre hard shell when the heavy stuff is coming down
wink.gif

TAD stuff is really nice, but for their price (and my limited budget) I could never justify abusing it in field conditions. For the simple job of keeping me warm and dry my Rothco jacket does that, is made well enough that it's not going to fall apart on me, and I won't be out the cost of a decent pistol when I have to buy another one if/when it gets caught on that barbed wire fence and rips open. Yes, the Rothco stitching isn't as nice, and the zipper isn't as good of quality, but do I feel that a marginally better zipper and stitching job is worth an extra $250? Not at all...

I'm not going to bash a guy for buying a Ferrari, but at the end of the day a Honda Civic can get you from point A to B just as easily...different strokes for different folks.

I have put my TAD Spectre shell through some very good field use and it has held up very well. Like my other TAD jackets, it performs well and takes a lot of abuse. It is every bit as good as my dedicated mountaineering kit from other high end manufacturers. I was bone dry in cold, wet, high activity conditions in Utah for the RO High Angle class last year- unlike several others wearing equally expensive gear. I have zero complaints with any of my TAD jackets.

Thanks for the input. I found someone that has a new Rothco that I'm going to give a try and if it doesn't stand p then I'll order the TAD.

I wish I could speak favorably of my TAD Gear Battle Hoodie (discontinued these days from what I see), but I've been pretty unhappy with the wear on the cuffs and waist fabric... unraveling.. (completely frayed to the point of disintegration Within two years of purchase. .. elastic exposed... etc.) Granted I thought the thing was pretty damn cool when I got it(2009). Its not like I'm a high speed guy either: I'm not low crawling or really beating up on the thing. In comparison, I've got a 10 year old mountain hardware jacket that I wore 50+ ski days a season when I was on the National Ski Patrol, and its still going strong- other than some slightly worn velcro.. the thing is bomb proof. I expected a LOT more "use" from a jacket at the price TAD gear charges.

I have a couple Rothco jackets and do not have a TAD jacket. I have tried them on at matches, seen them in person, felt them, talked with those that have them and I must say, they are a full step above the Rothco jackets.

But are also a full step above in price as well. You get what you pay for. BUT, if your going to lay down in the dirt and bushes, shoot lots, which I do, I would go for the Rothco jacket from deltaoutdoorsman.com

If you want to look pretty hanging around in a circle talking with your buddies, go TAD and dont look back.

I like wearing my rothco jackets from Ceylon B. They are awesome.

I got a Rothco soft shell for Christmas and have been very pleased with it so far. Dont get me wrong its no TAD but it works good for my field use and everyday wear plus it keeps me dry. If i had the money i might try a TAD but the Rothco has yet to let me down. Keep in mind that the Rothco is sized small so if you try one go one size bigger.

Just received my Rothco soft shell and from just looking at it I think it is a great jacket for the money. Now lets see how it holds up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .308 USER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just spend the money and buy a TAD, It will be worth it. Never had a problem with mine. </div></div>

I'm sure I will but right now im trying to save a few dollars so I can start a new rifle build.

Does the TAD have the Velcro? In the pics on their website it doesn't look like it.