• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RPR 556 Alternative?

sevenplagues

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 21, 2019
    Orlando, FL
    Hey guys, im looking to do a trainer rifle / DMR in 5.56 and my mind instantly gravitated towards the Ruger Precision Rifle Series in 556.

What are your thoughts on this rifle?
    I know it didn't sell particularly well, but other than that, it seems to be a pretty good choice. Specially since they're selling for around 950 new and have a wide range of features packed in.

Also - what are some good alternatives to this magazine fed bolt gun (without overspending)

Thanks in advance

The only issues I ever really heard about them was that some people had issues with cratered primers. Simple bolt bushing from a smith and that's solved. Majority of people love them. I went the route of a Big Horn Origin build or I would have one of the RPRs.

Since you're asking about alternatives.....you could go with a Ruger American Predator or a Howa 1500 barreled action and an Oryx chassis for less $ than the RPR.

I picked one up used for $775 last year as a high power/ across the course match rifle. The only modification I made to it was a White Oak match rifle handguard that accepts a handstop for shooting from the sling.

It's a hammer with 69 and 80 SMK's, although I do get primer cratering like others have mentioned. I'm planning on getting the bolt bushed this fall after the shooting season is over.

Last time I had it out, I shot a 595-31X at a 3x600 prone match. Dang good score for a $800 rifle.

If the rain holds off this weekend, I'm going to try to keep some 90's in the black at 1000. The few I loaded up as a trial run at 600 yards show some promise.

Attachments

• 20190618_012846.jpg
      20190618_012846.jpg
      258.2 KB · Views: 124
    • 20190618_012916.jpg
      20190618_012916.jpg
      275.8 KB · Views: 143
    • 20190618_012935.jpg
      20190618_012935.jpg
      254.5 KB · Views: 130
    Last edited:
    I picked one up used for $775 last year as a high power/ across the course match rifle. The only modification I made to it was a White Oak match rifle handguard that accepts a handstop for shooting from the sling.

It's a hammer with 69 and 80 SMK's, although I do get primer cratering like others have mentioned. I'm planning on getting the bolt bushed this fall after the shooting season is over.

Last time I had it out, I shot a 595-31X at a 3x600 prone match. Dang good score for a $800 rifle.

If the rain holds off this weekend, I'm going to try to keep some 90's in the black at 1000. The few I loaded up as a trial run at 600 yards show some promise.

You picked up the RPR in 556 ?

No complaints other than the primer cratering issue, and high dollar magazines. I ended up buying 4 plus a single feed sled for it for use in matches.

I just bought one on sale too last one they had in stock. I haven’t done any load development yet with the 80gr SMK but it loves 77gr PMC X-Tac.

Not yet I only have around 75rds through it. After the barrel breaks in I plan on stretching it out I am going to use it for a trainer and the local 600yd PRS/NRL club matches. The group shot above was rds 11-15.

Lot of people that I talk to seem to think this rifle is useless, and keep telling me it was discontinued for a reason.

Yeah I still find myself interested in it

Well I am happy with mine it appears it will do exactly what I want which is a midrange trainer. Only mod so far is an Arca rail.
    This was rounds 16-20 during break in off bipod and rear bag.

Yes I shagged one it was not the rifle. If it ever stops raining here I will shoot it out to 600yds this weekend.

I have an RPR in 556 and it shoots very well. It does crater primers like others have stated using hot loads. If I use a mag primer it is less of an issue. It shoots 75 eld and 85 nosler rdf both very well. Also MDT 223 magazines work great in the system. I would recommend one no problem.

I too have one in 5.56 with a White Oak Match Handguard. I have only shot it prone, not across the course. That one does not crater primers, got lucky I suppose.

A Remington 7.5 primer is one tough primer to crater. I would try some. I also have a RPR 5.56 and I have no complaints it works just fine.

Reactions: Rumblingdwarf
    Loved mine and wish I still had it but sold it to finish out this custom that I was way more excited about before I actually finished it

Since you're asking about alternatives.....you could go with a Ruger American Predator or a Howa 1500 barreled action and an Oryx chassis for less $ than the RPR.
    Do any of these alternatives allow for magazine feed of 2.5" OAL cartridges like the RPR does? That's the appeal of the RPR in 5.56 to me. The 5.56 is like a whole different animal when you start loading 80+ grainers at 2.5". Of course it would need a 1:7 twist like the RPR.

Last edited:
    Reactions: sevenplagues
    Do any of these alternatives allow for magazine feed of 2.5" OAL cartridges like the RPR does? That's the appeal of the RPR in 5.56 to me. The 5.56 is like a whole different animal when you start loading 80+ grainers at 2.5". Of course it would need a 1:7 twist like the RPR.
    MDT (the company that makes the Oryx chassis) offers 5.56 mags that go 2.55".

As far as twist rate goes, there's more to bullet stabilization than just bullet weight and twist rate. My RAP is a 1:8, and it shoots 75gr pills better than I can. I haven't tried any 80gr+ yet.
    The Howa 1500 mini-action is also a 1:8 (and is available from Howa in an Oryx chassis -MSRP $1,050).

Last edited:
    I bought one a year ago for $800 as a donor rifle. I think what slowed down the sales was the factory barrel length. The action, twist, and magazine allow for nearly 2.6" 223 and they put a 20" barrel on it?
    I chambered a 26" 1:7 Bartein for it and absolutely love the gun. Slickest feeding 223 bolt gun I've tried. I shoot the 75 ELDm at 3030 fps. Had a few primers blank at 3060 fps when the gun was new, but it's gtg now.

@tomcatfan has been shooting his at distance.

We recently took it to the range and it gave up nothing to my Nucleus custom barreled rifle.

I picked one up when they first came out and have had the issue with cratered primers. I sent it back to Ruger and while I was extremely satisfied with their level of customer service, I wasn’t so impressed with their ability to solve the problem. I just sent out my bolt to get bushed. Overall I love the rifle. I’ve had it out to 1000 yds using 80 go eld’s running about 2830 fps and it would make consistent hits. Guys I was shooting with didn’t think the 223 could do it until they saw the magnetospeed hit indicator light up, shot after shot. This is a group from shighting it in using Norma 77gr match. The new barrel from Ruger is more accurate than the first. For the price they go for I would buy one in a heart beat, even with bushing the bolt.

One of these would be very interesting to me in something like 6.5 grendel or 224v if the bolt face could be opened up relatively easily. Really wish one of the 6mm Wildcats would take hold in a mini action. I think a 100ish grain bullet would really shine in this case capacity

One of these would be very interesting to me in something like 6.5 grendel or 224v if the bolt face could be opened up relatively easily. Really wish one of the 6mm Wildcats would take hold in a mini action. I think a 100ish grain bullet would really shine in this case capacity
    The Howa 1500 Mini-Action is available in 6.5Grendel.

Ruger already did, they made it in 6mm creedmoore. Barrel life isn’t ideal, but the 6mm creed in a bolt gun does everything that a 224V can do but much better. If I were them I wouldn’t waste any time with anything smaller than the creed, unless they bring back the 556.

Ruger already did, they made it in 6mm creedmoore. Barrel life isn’t ideal, but the 6mm creed in a bolt gun does everything that a 224V can do but much better. If I were them I wouldn’t waste any time with anything smaller than the creed, unless they bring back the 556.

I think hes talking about the 6XC, 6 DASHER, 6 BR ...etc etcc

The creedmoor is a longer action. Something like a 6mmAR or fat rat would be great. 2800 fps with 105gr bullets much longer barrel life than the 6mm creedmoor with significantly less wind drift than 223. Also would be the perfect trainer. Shoot the same bullets with the same bc as match gun but less powder and fewer barrels. Most of these rounds are based of 6.5 grendel so lapua brass. Kind of all the pluses that Frank talks about with the valkyrie but more energy down range.

The creedmoor is a longer action. Something like a 6mmAR or fat rat would be great. 2800 fps with 105gr bullets much longer barrel life than the 6mm creedmoor with significantly less wind drift than 223. Also would be the perfect trainer. Shoot the same bullets with the same bc as match gun but less powder and fewer barrels. Most of these rounds are based of 6.5 grendel so lapua brass. Kind of all the pluses that Frank talks about with the valkyrie but more energy down range.

So what round are you advocating for here?

Who cares if it's a longer action. It's a bolt gun. Doesn't make sense to have to run a 4' longer barrel on a .3' shorter action to match velocity. I love 6 Creed. To me it makes more sense than 6.5 Creed. Barrels are cheap in comparison to everything else a shooter spends their money on...

Who cares if it's a longer action. It's a bolt gun. Doesn't make sense to have to run a 4' longer barrel on a .3' shorter action to match velocity. I love 6 Creed. To me it makes more sense than 6.5 Creed. Barrels are cheap in comparison to everything else a shooter spends their money on...

So an RPR chambered in 6MM creedmoor > 5.56 RPR?
    Pros - cons?

A 6mm variant that will fit in a mini action. Seems like there are several floating around but none have a ton of support. If ruger would partner with hornady and standardize a 6mm mini action cartridge I think it would be super popular. The rpr already has a ton of market traction and rightfully so. A good gun at a reasonable price. They already have short action, long action, and rimfire variations. These cartridges are very popular in high power events because of the reduced wind drift and ballistics over the 223 even with 80gr loads.

Reactions: sevenplagues
    Could be potential magazine issues, feeding issues, ejection issues with the shorter cases. The RPR is a great rifle in that $800 range but for the $1200 RPR I would recommend going with a Bighorn Origin type build and that would handle a short fat case much better imo.

6mm creedmoor vs 223 pros and cons

6mm creedmoor
    Pros

Superior ballistics
    Less wind drift

Cons
    Less barrel life
    More expensive ammo
    Harder to find factory ammo
    More recoil

Pros
    Cheap factory ammo
    Lots of factory options for ammo
    Extremely long barrel life
    Little recoil

Cons
    Lots of wind drift
    Little downrange energy
    Limited range < 600 yards for most applications

Lot of people that I talk to seem to think this rifle is useless, and keep telling me it was discontinued for a reason.
    There's a lot of stupidity in the world, and it seems to be concentrated in the shooting world.

Learn how to make your own decisions with little input from others.

Could be potential magazine issues, feeding issues, ejection issues with the shorter cases. The RPR is a great rifle in that $800 range but for the $1200 RPR I would recommend going with a Bighorn Origin type build and that would handle a short fat case much better imo.

They seem to have no problem in AR15s. Just use grendel mags and grendel bolt. Would think it would be simpler in a bolt gun.

Nor does it need it. What aftermarket support is there for Howas is more than enough.

Most aftermarket support for the howa is for the short action. Very little for the mini action. Atleast most of the rpr is compatible with ar15 parts so there are literally tons of options for buttstocks, forends, pistol grips. Just pick your flavor.

I guess to wrap up my thoughts on it the rpr would be a great option for the OP. I just think ruger missed the mark by not offering it in a 6mm mini action with hornady factory support.

So an RPR chambered in 6MM creedmoor > 5.56 RPR?
    Pros - cons?
    Pros are obvious. Way more performance. Pushing a 115 grain at 3000 is another realm vs a 5.56 maybe pushing a 90 grain at 2700.

Cons aren't much actually. When running a 5.56 to max potential it requires hand loading and thus really isn't much cheaper. Less recoil of course but it's not an issue anyway. 6mm Creed Match ammo is readily available where I am and I can't find 5.56 loaded over 77grains.

Same with 224 Valkyrie. It just isn't worth it now that Ar10 systems are being improved so fast.

Reactions: tomcatfan
    Pros are obvious. Way more performance. Pushing a 115 grain at 3000 is another realm vs a 5.56 maybe pushing a 90 grain at 2700.

Cons aren't much actually. When running a 5.56 to max potential it requires hand loading and thus really isn't much cheaper. Less recoil of course but it's not an issue anyway. 6mm Creed Match ammo is readily available where I am and I can't find 5.56 loaded over 77grains.

Same with 224 Valkyrie. It just isn't worth it now that Ar10 systems are being improved so fast.

So feeding an RPR in 6CM would cost me about the same as handloading 5.56 to its max potential, and the performance is significantly better but the other downside would be.... barrel life goes down significantly.

I guess to wrap up my thoughts on it the rpr would be a great option for the OP. I just think ruger missed the mark by not offering it in a 6mm mini action with hornady factory support.
    You keep saying miniaction, you do know that the RPR in 556 uses the same action as the RPR in 6 creed, 6.5 creed, 308, etc? It isn’t an AR.

So feeding an RPR in 6CM would cost me about the same as handloading 5.56 to its max potential, and the performance is significantly better but the other downside would be.... barrel life goes down significantly.
    Yes, the 6mm creed will give you much more performance with out much more recoil. The factory offerings for 6 creed are way better for long range than 223/556. I wish someone would load 80/90 grain 223 offerings. My only gripe about 6 creed is you have to chase the lands as throat errosion is so bad.

No one is ever going to do that commercially for a multitude of reasons.
    I get it, pressures are generally a little bit higher, they don't fit in AR magazines, and everyone without a 1 in 7 twist barrel would complain that it shoots like crap.