• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RPR Barrel Advice

Skeller185

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2018
Las Vegas
Looking for some advice from the experienced crowd with the Ruger RPR about barrel replacement. Came across a good deal on a RPR 6mm Creedmoor at X-mas time so jumped on it. Been working on load development with some Berger 105g Hybrids and Hornaday 108 ELDM and so far not great but not bad for factory rifle. Shooting in the 0.5-0.7” moa range with best load to date (41.8G H4350, .020 off lands, 3086 FPS). ES and SD numbers not single digits but close. Thinking about improving on this if possible with a new barrel swap. Considering three (3) main options, 1) LRI, 2) Patriot Valley or 3) Proof Carbon Fiber). Curious what you guys are experiencing here and if worth the money to put into this rifle. With the deal I got, decent barrel will cost nearly what I paid for the new rifle ($675.00). On the flip side, since I have so little invested with the core unit, adding the barrel could provide for very accurate rifle still at a minimal price. As far as my shooting, still pretty much a newbie at the long range game but shoot primarily paper and steel out to 1200 yards on regular basis. One big factor and only reason for putting the Proof in there is that I am located in Las Vegas and the temps get crazy here in the summertime. Seriously, 6:00 AM in the morning can be in the 90’s and go up quickly so thinking the carbon fiber barrel could be a plus for fighting barrel temp. Not so interested if going to sacrifice accuracy over the other two companies. Anyway, hopefully somebody has some constructive advice and experience in thes area that they are will to share.

It would be greatly appreciated.

nothing wrong with .5"

are you capable of better? both shooting and reloading wise?

because it's a 6 creed i'd probably just shoot that one out for practice then drop the coin

Reactions: 10ring1
If youre going to swap it out for sure all of them will be great.
Personally I wouldnt go for a proof since, as you said, its going to be hot as shit there and youre going to be running a barrel burner cartridge, thats a lot of money for something that will be on an accelerated path towards expiration just to save a few ounces on a not light weight platform.

I say you throw on the heaviest barrel LRI can get to your door in a week or two.

Reactions: Aimsmall55
My 2 cents..
I too came across a 6 creedmoor at a great price. I've been shooting it for over a year now and it has 1600 rds down the barrel. My load is nearly identical to yours with 41.7 H4350 with the 108 ELD, using hornady brass. My SD's are decent but I have to believe my numbers would likely be better with a better quality brass.
My 5-10 shot groups are generally .6 MOA when I measure them on occasion at 400yds.
I have been shooting field/PRS style matches for around 1.5 years. Improving my group from .6 MOA to .4 or better would likely not change my hit percentage much at all.
Develop your skills with that decent ruger barrel. Burn it out then upgrade.
What your rifle groups when shooting for groups, is different than deviation from your intended point of aim in a dynamic situation. We are the biggest thing you can improve to increase your hit percentages.