• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing RPR Barrel Upgrade Advice Needed

ChuckP65

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2019
My RPR is showing an alarming drop off in accuracy after maybe 800 rounds with the factory barrel. Must be too soft. I’m looking at a Bartlein or Krieger stainless 1 in 8 @ 26 inches. I want the Bartlein but getting one in less tha 6 months means going to Bug Hole who is too expensive and disorganized. We are taking a difference of at least $125 and the Krieger is satin finished ready to go. Need advice on Best Buy at best price. I don’t want to get it and chase chamber reamer owners and an additional $300 putting a $1k barrel on a $1.1k rifle. Krieger delivers it ready to install but I want some expert input. Also is 7.5 twist necessary or desirable? 1 in 8 seems to stabilize 6.5 CM even in 147 grain just fine normally. Thanks!

Take this for what its worth. My first match rifle was a Ruger RPR in 6.5CM. First of all I would check the throat of your factory barrel for a carbon ring. I had a lot of problems with carbon rings in my 6.5CM. Caused accuracy and pressure issues.
Secondly. When I replaced my barrel I used Bugholes. Greg is fast and his timelines are always accurate. I went through 2 Bartlein pre-fits for the Ruger and I think the time lines were 6 weeks from order to door step. I haven't seen any disorganization from him and I think his prices are good especially for the time lines and quality of product you get.
Thirdly. If you really want a cheap replacement barrel get ahold of Proof Research. They have RPR pre-fits and they're pretty cheap last time I checked.

There are a ton of options for prefits, use your Google fu and find the best deal available. LRI, Proof, Krieger, Lothar Walter, PVA, etc. Most of these are on the shelf and you can have one in just a few short days.

What ever you get, I would specify a chamber for the projectile you shoot. I was very impressed with the Krieger I owned.

Take this for what its worth. My first match rifle was a Ruger RPR in 6.5CM. First of all I would check the throat of your factory barrel for a carbon ring. I had a lot of problems with carbon rings in my 6.5CM. Caused accuracy and pressure issues.
Secondly. When I replaced my barrel I used Bugholes. Greg is fast and his timelines are always accurate. I went through 2 Bartlein pre-fits for the Ruger and I think the time lines were 6 weeks from order to door step. I haven't seen any disorganization from him and I think his prices are good especially for the time lines and quality of product you get.
Thirdly. If you really want a cheap replacement barrel get ahold of Proof Research. They have RPR pre-fits and they're pretty cheap last time I checked.
I appreciate your reply but a chambered Proof (non carbon fiber) and a chambered Bartlein are about the same price so not following the cheap angle.

Wanting a new barrel is fine. But doubt that barrel is shot out. Just had a buddy at exactly 800rd in his RPR was no longer accurate. Told him to scrub it down good probably a carbon ring. Sure enough, he did that and accuracy was right back to where it always had been.

Greg is top notch. What did you find disorganized about Greg? Or was this something you were told buy a 3rd party?

Keystone Accuracy has short wait times, like a few weeks and has button and Kreigers on the shelf...

I talked t
Wanting a new barrel is fine. But doubt that barrel is shot out. Just had a buddy at exactly 800rd in his RPR was no longer accurate. Told him to scrub it down good probably a carbon ring. Sure enough, he did that and accuracy was right back to where it always had been.

Greg is top notch. What did you find disorganized about Greg? Or was this something you were told buy a 3rd party?

Keystone Accuracy has short wait times, like a few weeks and has button and Kreigers on the shelf...

Mine has had two stainless Proofs and currently a Crieterion barrel. All 1-8 twist and the 147s did and do great with them.

I talked t
o Russ and then Greg never called so I called again. Greg finally called and the invoice he sent was totally different than what Russ sold me on. Russ has stated a Bartlein Remington varmint and Rich wrote an M24. I finally got an explanation that the M24 required less metal to be removed than the other barrel to fit the RPR. This of course led to uncertainty about what I would actually get and no polish of any type was mentioned even though everyone else offers and finally no crown was listed. When I inquired only then was I told 11 degrees was standard and included. The final issue is they want a check or ACH meaning I have to give them my account number at my bank or pay a 3% up charge. That’s not how you run a business.

The bug nut set up Greg done for me shot lights out .

He called me back a couple times later in the evening surprised me.

Great company, accurate fast lead times

He does charge 3 percent on plastic... he also has a giant inventory of barrels and good prices on everything I’ve compared him on and most importantly it’s in stock

How do you do this requesting a chamber?
The first step is to know which projectile you plan to run. Especially so if reloading. Then make a dummy round and send it to the smith. Tell them you want the dummy to be seated x distance off the lands. I like to use 0.015 off. Biggest issue with the RPR is that you are limited in OAL. This means a custom barrel will shoot better and offer better results when reloading. (Theoretically)

Not sure if you reload but have you checked your "jump" to the lands recently?

How so? It takes the same aics mags as everything else.
You are absolutely correct. It totally slipped my mind. I ran Omaha mostly. I also had difficulty running 10 round AICS MAGS.