RRA 9mm AR Ammo Question?

wkahler

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2006
Englewood, Ohio
Is it OK to shot +P out of this rifle?? Also what is the best bullet weight from your experience with a 9mm carbine like this. I have a ton of 115 grain but i was thinking to go with the 124, or 147. I was going to load up a few magazines with the 124 +P for the defense end of things but when i was just plinking i was thinking of just shooting the 115 but not sure how big of a difference we are looking at with sighting in!! Was going to set the zero at 50yds, any input would be greatly appreciated!!

ORD

Montani Semper Liberi
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2005
Morgantown, WV, USA
Re: RRA 9mm AR Ammo Question?

I have never had an ammunition-related malfunction or problem with an RRA 9mm Carbine. I have run everything from lightweight frangible loads to 147gr subs, including 124gr +P and 147gr +P offerings. The only problems with the +P loads are that they tend to foul the gun MUCH faster and the recoil is definitely "stouter" than your standard bulk or surplus loads.

For range/plinking use, I run 124gr NATO surplus or 115gr WWB and it functions well.

If your looking at your 9mm CAR as a HD weapon, I would advise against a 50yd zero until you have confirmed the differences in POA and POI with your rifle at distances of say 21ft/7yds versus your 50yd zero. Obviously, you aren't going to be engaging a home invader at 50yds! 21ft/7yds is a much more realistic zero for any HD situation.

wkahler

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2006
Englewood, Ohio

Like your thinking ORD, what i was doing on setting my zero was with a Trijicon on a LaRue quick detach and was only going to have it on if i went to the range, other then that I will be using a flip up rear sight for the HD idea!! Thanks for the info on ammo and was only going to us the +P in a HD magazine not for all the time idea!!

smokshwn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2004
Salt Lake UT

Running a 124 gr bullet at 1400 fps

A 7yd zero starts 1" low at 5 yds 1" high at 10yds and then keeps rising fast until you are 26" high at 100yds.

A 20yd zero will keep you inside a 5-6" circle from 0-130 yds. You will start 1.8" low at 5yds rise to maximum of 3.5" high at about 80 yds and drop back down to 2.5" low at 130.

I think the 20yd zero would be much more versatile.