• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRA Varmint 80 SMK loads

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
Ready to work up some loads for my RRA 24" varmint Wylde chamber but am having trouble figuring out the Overall length for these. What are these typically loaded to? I'm coming up with 2.430 but I think that might be short.

Alan

Re: RRA Varmint 80 SMK loads

Alan,

2.555" COL is nominal per Sierra, but check the length of the bullets, I've found some lots to be 0.050" short. I've also loaded them to 2.460" COL, with a reduced charge. Powder was N-550 with WLRs, groups at 1k were about 0.5 MOA with prepped brass.

HTH,
DocB

As a rule 80s are loaded too long to feed from mag
They are shot in slow fire single shot

I load mine .015 off the lands in a wylde chamber, .010 in the krieger 556 match. I don't have the oal right now. But I use lapua cases and wolf srm primers with 25.5 of N150. 2820 from a service rifle barrel, no pressure issues and is smooth in recoil and cycling. you might find that 24.7 of Reloder 15 under a Hornady 75 BTHP might serve you better. It doesn't give up much on the 80 sierra and that load seems to shoot in any rifle I try them in, loaded mag length. 2925 out of the 20 in service rifle barrel.

Thanks for the replies. I actually worked up a good load using the 77SMK win brass and 24.7 Varget. Holding .5 and under out to 400 yards. I'm impressed with how well the rock river shoots. I have 100 80 SMK's and was curious how they would do single fed. Is there much to be gained from the 80 over the 77?? I'm only looking to use the 80 around 800 yards or so and maybe play around near 1000 just to see what it will do.

Alan

Good for you. I was never able to get decent accuracy out of the 77SMK loaded to mag-length. I tried it in F-class at the short range (300 yards) and it just didn't do anything for me. The BC is low and the wind plays with the bullet. If you get consistent 2 inch groups out of them at 400 yards, my hat is off to you.

I use the 80gr SMK at 300/500/600 and they have done a good job for me especially at 300. For the longer ranges, 800/900/1000 I went with the 80gr JLK because I found them to be more consistent and they have a better BC than the SMK and at those distances, I need all the wind dodging I can get.

I actually found the 69gr SMK to work better for me inside of 300 yards than the 77SMK, but I use all 80s from 300 on.

I seat the SMK just off the lands and the ogive does vary. I seat the JLK in the lands, about .015 into them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good for you. I was never able to get decent accuracy out of the 77SMK loaded to mag-length. I tried it in F-class at the short range (300 yards) and it just didn't do anything for me. The BC is low and the wind plays with the bullet. If you get consistent 2 inch groups out of them at 400 yards, my hat is off to you.

I use the 80gr SMK at 300/500/600 and they have done a good job for me especially at 300. For the longer ranges, 800/900/1000 I went with the 80gr JLK because I found them to be more consistent and they have a better BC than the SMK and at those distances, I need all the wind dodging I can get.

I actually found the 69gr SMK to work better for me inside of 300 yards than the 77SMK, but I use all 80s from 300 on.

I seat the SMK just off the lands and the ogive does vary. I seat the JLK in the lands, about .015 into them. </div></div>

I tried the 75 Hornady BTHP, but it didn't seem to do as well as the 77 SMK. I'm getting ready to load a few 80SMK's up and do some shooting off the back porch at 100. I will post results later.

Alan

I loaded up some 80SMK at 24.0 Varget and worked up but the groups got worse. Loaded down to 23.5 at a COL of 2.430 and it was grouping under 1/2" at 100. I tried both the 77 and the 80's out at my buddies at 600 and 700 yards. The 77's did very well at 600 ( we were shooting a steel groundhog). 80's did well also but at 700, I noticed the wind really affecting the 77's. The 23.5 80 grain load did great at 700 considering the wind. There was quite a difference in the wind between the two bullets. I am gonna stretch it out to 800 and then 850 later this week.

Alan

Most of the High Power shooters switch to 80's at 600 yards. I haven't rolled my own yet so that's about all I can add here.

group.jpg

80 gr Amaxs out of my 24" Rock River at 300 yards

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snafu12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
group.jpg

80 gr Amaxs out of my 24" Rock River at 300 yards </div></div>

what load are u using and what is the COL?
Thanks,

Alan