• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRA Varmint Report+Question

JLP2003

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
Houston, Texas
So I just got my RRA 20" varmint in .223 put together, worked up a few loads and took it out to the range.

Saw some wildly varying groups and got some that I thought were pretty good. Turned out that my best groups were with 60gr Nosler BTs sitting on 25gr of Varget running around 2650fps.

Had some questions about what the guys at the range were calling my groups. I got a few 100yd, 5-shot groups that were 7/8" across the widest spread and some other shooters were telling me that I should subtract the caliber from the outside measurement.

By my math that's .65 at 100 yds. Is that reasonable to expect from this rifle? Or were some old farts having a bit of sport with me?

Either way, I think she's ready to go bust some dogs at the deer camp!

Re: RRA Varmint Report+Question

Group size is measured center to center. Or, at the widest outside points, minus the diameter of the bullet. Same size in the end.

.65 for a semi rifle is pretty damn good!

Re: RRA Varmint Report+Question

For measuring your groups, measure the extreme outside edge to outside edge distance of the furthest bullets apart, then subtract 1 bullet diameter from the total.

i.e. - You get a group of 0.875" (or 7/8") measuring the outside edges of the two holes furthest apart. Then subtract 0.224" (the diameter of the bullet) from that which yields a group of 0.651".

I'd say you've got a great build in the works. With some load development and trigger time, you could have a 1/2MOA rifle.