• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS Anvil Ball Head ?

What a great piece of kit! I was out hiking the hills when I received my usps notice...ran home and just put the legs on - heading back out!

0DF36F64-2A61-4CDD-AF73-F723D96DC2FD.jpeg

I just got mine today with its Series 3 platform adapter. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but so far I really like the design. Easy to use seems rock solid. I'm waiting for dovetail plates for my spotting scope, Hog Saddle, and AIAW.

I pulled the 3/8" threaded OEM platform off of my Feisol 3472 tripod and installed the Anvil 30 and it's Series 3 platform. The RRS platform is slightly smaller in diameter than the Feisol platform, but I just tightened up the three setscrews on the tripod a little more. Here are three photos of the installation and you can see that the RRS platform sticks up a little higher above the ring on the tripod. The setscrews lock the platform firmly in the tripod ring and considering it's not an RRS tripod it fits together very well. The hook on the bottom of the platform didn't come with it, I pulled the 3/8" thread bolt from the Feisol platform and installed it on the bottom of the RRS Series 3 platform.
IMG_2447.jpg
IMG_2448.jpg
IMG_2449.jpg

Last edited:
Which non-RRS legs is the better set up for the Anvil and Series 3 platform adapter ? I'm considering the 3372 and the Leofoto 364C and just can't afford 1000$ for the RRS ... I don't mind the extra weight if it gives me extra stability.

@stwcattle you ordered the anvil already attached to the TFCT-24L package. Not a single 24L has left the office yet. All of the preorders for that model should ship by the end of next week depending on how fast our assembly guys are starting Monday!

Just got mine Tuesday. Looks awesome and feels extremely solid. Super intuitive to use. I'm out to the range tomorrow and will follow up with feedback

Will put more images up tomorrow of the actual unit. I have been packing it around the mountains the last few days, scouting various units for game as I need to put in before the end of the month. Shooting at targets, dry firing @ critters (using my 300 Norma Blaser / RRS VYCE for the rifle and my EL 10x32 binocular...waiting on Vectronix RF)

The Anvil 30 is extremely strong but very versatile, smooth and easy to manipulate the from the lightest optic to the rifle. I was only using my Blaser (10 pounds).

The Elk are about 12 miles out, just below the snow level in distant mountant - picture lots of afternoon mirage @ 10000’ with my BTX 95mm/1.8x mag extender = the stability of this unit with my TFCT-34 legs is simply outstanding.

This one tripod and head combo that will work for anything. I really like the fact that it so much more narrow and lighter with the legs attached like this, so easy to pack.

88412A2F-53C6-4D2D-9179-FDD95A826C5F.jpeg
302FC43A-D6D1-45B1-B5AB-7D63FA508BCB.jpeg
02FFB3C7-89A5-46B9-8909-A641D4F11062.jpeg
21DBC9BF-12AD-4D73-9EA4-DB0C1DD28F7D.jpeg
23AB8E96-C75B-4C63-B15E-FA18339BE3EC.jpeg
39736685-42C8-47BA-9DEA-9F5C80B1F461.jpeg
Smaller, lighter, stronger = better.

My crossbow has an arca swiss mount on it and works great with this tripod as well as picatinny railed rifles like my AR’s.

The rock smacks are 2 separate days single cold bore shots 1 at 700 yards # 2 850. I am looking at putting an ARCA plate on my Blaser stock/receiver...in the meanwhile the VYCE works great for rifle/binos or any RF in you don’t mind packing it around.

The little antelope buck was getting a little dry fire practice.

More images of the unit in action itself tomorrow.

Will put more images up tomorrow of the actual unit. I have been packing it around the mountains the last few days, scouting various units for game as I need to put in before the end of the month. Shooting at targets, dry firing @ critters (using my 300 Norma Blaser / RRS VYCE for the rifle and my EL 10x32 binocular...waiting on Vectronix RF)

The Anvil 30 is extremely strong but very versatile, smooth and easy to manipulate the from the lightest optic to the rifle. I was only using my Blaser (10 pounds).

The Elk are about 12 miles out, just below the snow level in distant mountant - picture lots of afternoon mirage @ 10000’ with my BTX 95mm/1.8x mag extender = the stability of this unit with my TFCT-34 legs is simply outstanding.

This one tripod and head combo that will work for anything. I really like the fact that it so much more narrow and lighter with the legs attached like this, so easy to pack.

View attachment 6905004View attachment 6905005View attachment 6905006View attachment 6905008View attachment 6905009View attachment 6905010 Smaller, lighter, stronger = better.

My crossbow has an arca swiss mount on it and works great with this tripod as well as picatinny railed rifles like my AR’s.

The rock smacks are 2 separate days single cold bore shots 1 at 700 yards # 2 850. I am looking at putting an ARCA plate on my Blaser stock/receiver...in the meanwhile the VYCE works great for rifle/binos or any RF in you don’t mind packing it around.

The little antelope buck was getting a little dry fire practice.

More images of the unit in action itself tomorrow.

Nice- everything— even the KUIU pants :)

Trying to decide on one of the Anvil 30 packages, the 24L vs. 34.

Anyone who has shot with both tripods, did you feel any lack of stability with the series 2 tripod compared to the series 3?

I like the added height with the 24L should I choose to use it with my spotting scope, but in all honesty it will be used 95% of the time as a gun mount.

The lever zones are perfect for me. Here are some shots from my backyard, since the fog had us socked in for the higher elevations.

This is so versatile, angles, height, weight, arca, picatinny. I prefer running the lever with my left hand and reversing the locking lever.

C666B85D-B3C6-49E6-83C5-9EE37701DFB7.jpeg
2C37B575-C05F-4562-B388-D5AF916661CA.jpeg
ED5631BC-6322-4EB7-8995-9BE77896A72B.jpeg
91A5979F-FC2D-411A-96A5-1139F33F789E.jpeg
A04E9FF8-B711-4B90-8656-1160BDF2EB8F.jpeg
8C9C6E62-9289-4373-A59E-D393F631208A.jpeg
A2D6B34A-7576-44C9-9FA7-EEEA444F8840.jpeg
F96FBD84-1C07-43D1-A043-817148194163.jpeg
97937F7F-5844-4541-A26E-25E5A7C97B7A.jpeg
D0029DFC-E927-4866-97A7-108B036B04DB.jpeg

I have limited practice with it, but I run it like Detroitrearview as well. Naturally, my left hand is placed near the apex. This allows me to push the tension lever forward with my thumb as required to lock it up while aiming. Also, I can flick the locking lever forward(reversed from how it shipped) whenever I want to get my rifle out. It feels incredibly natural to use, very impressive.

Forgive me if I missed it somewhere, but can you direct thread attach a Vyce to theAnvil 30? Does the clamp come off?

Looking to save some weight and money if I need a rubber clamp...

So a question for the guys who’ve got their anvil, is it all you hoped it would be?

Do you feel like your missing any function over a ball head or leveling base?

Pretty sure this is the route I’m gonna go, just dragging my feet on pulling the trigger.

Reactions: deersniper
I have never used a leveling base, and would like to try it.

That said, my anvil 30 seems to be just fine. I have used a BH55, and this doesnt seem more stable, per se, but it is a lot lighter and more compact, and at least as stable. Seems like the best way to go if you have to carry your gear.

Reactions: Diver160651
i havent compared them actually shooting side by side, but standing in 5-10 mph gusty winds the anvil seems about 95% as solid as the leveling base...it has slightly more movement when torque is applied to the rifle on my series 3 legs...i set up the tripod in my garage and marked the wall then pushed/pulled on the buttstock with a force gauge while filming thru the scope with my side shot...the anvil showed slightly more deflection

i still swapped the leveling base for the anvil due to the controls (much prefer the lever), and how much smaller it packs up...fits way better in my pack...standing gusty 5-10 mph winds and firing rounds as fast i can get/stay on target i still shot back to back 10 shot groups in the 1.5-2 moa range at 100 yds (firing 5 rounds per 20-25 seconds)...seated or kneeling with a knee under my elbow sub moa is still no problem with the anvil

Initial tension adjustments feel pretty good. I like having this on the 24L legs better so far which I'm glad you recommended for my mission.

Will follow up once I really get to push the gear.
Why do you like the 24 legs better?

So a question for the guys who’ve got their anvil, is it all you hoped it would be?

Do you feel like your missing any function over a ball head or leveling base?

Pretty sure this is the route I’m gonna go, just dragging my feet on pulling the trigger.

I just got my TFCT-24L with Anvil 30 ballhead and VYCE and I'm thrilled with it. I also added spotting scope and camera mounts as well to my order.

My application is hunting and I have never used a tri pod in the past. Just a bipod and Primos shooting sticks. This RRS set up is of exceptional quality and I was surprised how much I like the VYCE. This package is going to be a valuable piece of equipment in my hunting pack.

Trying to decide on one of the Anvil 30 packages, the 24L vs. 34.

Anyone who has shot with both tripods, did you feel any lack of stability with the series 2 tripod compared to the series 3?

I like the added height with the 24L should I choose to use it with my spotting scope, but in all honesty it will be used 95% of the time as a gun mount.

I asked this question earlier with no response, but wasn't aware the 24L package was not yet available. Now that both are available, if anyone gets a chance to shoot both I'd be very interested in your comparison comments.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I missed this guys.

I prefer the 24L set-up over my old 34 due to the size, weight, ect

I don't feel like I'm giving up any noticable stability running the 24L (AXMC and AIAT both in 6.5cm)

I also have found I really like the added height

Reactions: Fongman
Finally after much deliberation, I pulled the trigger on an Anvil 30 and Feisol 3372 legs. Also picked up a Vyce clamp from the PX.

I shot a 2 day team match this weekend and I got to shoot off it extensively, glass up targets from it and range the majority of stages with my Sig 2200 in the Vyce. It's seriously such a versatile setup, super stoked on the decision.

I didn't take any pictures all weekend so I've only got driveway shots, I've got to ask my team mate if he did.

JynbA46.jpg

qY6rYDp.jpg

TCKTHYd.jpg

I just got mine today with its Series 3 platform adapter. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but so far I really like the design. Easy to use seems rock solid. I'm waiting for dovetail plates for my spotting scope, Hog Saddle, and AIAW.

I pulled the 3/8" threaded OEM platform off of my Feisol 3472 tripod and installed the Anvil 30 and it's Series 3 platform. The RRS platform is slightly smaller in diameter than the Feisol platform, but I just tightened up the three setscrews on the tripod a little more. Here are three photos of the installation and you can see that the RRS platform sticks up a little higher above the ring on the tripod. The setscrews lock the platform firmly in the tripod ring and considering it's not an RRS tripod it fits together very well. The hook on the bottom of the platform didn't come with it, I pulled the 3/8" thread bolt from the Feisol platform and installed it on the bottom of the RRS Series 3 platform.View attachment 6904336View attachment 6904341View attachment 6904340

Thanks for posting this - I have a Feisol 3342 and I'm about to order the Anvil 30 ballhead with Series 3 platform adapter - before I pull the trigger thought I'd check if your setup has worked out well - given the RRS adaptor isn't a perfect fir with the Feisol wanted to see if you'd run into any issues? Cheers, BP

Thanks, may I ask why you didn't just get the anvil head and mount it to the Feisol base plate?

I cannot speak for him but it looks like the RRS adapter plate has the holes drilled in it already to keep the Anvil from spinning off the threads. Probably a much better option considering it's not much of a cost difference.

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
I cannot speak for him but it looks like the RRS adapter plate has the holes drilled in it already to keep the Anvil from spinning off the threads. Probably a much better option considering it's not much of a cost difference.
That makes perfect sense - thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: TheMammoth