• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS level base hog tripod used with spotter and rifle

Timetoshoot

Bullet driver
Minuteman
May 7, 2013
Carbondale
Just received the RRS leveling base to use with pig saddle and pig tripod. This set up Will be used with conventionally stocked rifles. Decided to try out direct mount with my AR 10, exceptionally stable still working on technique but capable hitting one MOA targets to 400 yard. Spent the weekend scouting for elk. Used RRS leveling base instead of ballhead. I was surprised at ease of use and stability of the total package. Easy enough to adjust for extra movement needed beyond 15° by sliding leg up or down. I was scouting in high Rockies of Colorado, so I was mostly looking down or up seldom on the same plane.

i've had the opportunity to try RRS and other premium tripod. They are a bit more stable but not by much for practical field and match use. If I were consistently competing for top 20 PRS placing or trying for some reason to shoot mostly sub MOA targets I would spend the dollars on the premium tripods. For me that money is better spent on reloading components or get out of jail cards with the wife.

Attachments

• photo69000.jpg
    photo69000.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 172
  • photo69001.jpg
    photo69001.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
Nice, just ordered that exact setup today (minus the Pig Saddle, I'm also direct mounting) so glad to hear it's working well for you.

Timetoshoot I agree totally with your thinking I am looking for a head for my pig Tri pod that I have on order also.
I know it's been a while on this post but what RRS leveling base were u actually using on the hog tripod.

the ta 2u lb universal leveling base is the current base they offer , I believe the one in this thread is discontinued,

you can buy it with or without the clamp which works on pic or dovetail
I just purchased one and am also running it with pig tripod and saddle.

here is a link
TA-2U Leveling Base | TA-2U-LB

the ta 2u lb universal leveling base is the current base they offer , I believe the one in this thread is discontinued,

you can buy it with or without the clamp which works on pic or dovetail
I just purchased one and am also running it with pig tripod and saddle.

here is a link
TA-2U Leveling Base | TA-2U-LB

Thanks for the info but I decided to go with the bh-55 because of the panning smoothness and probably better for coyote hunting.