• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS Leveling heads- RRS TVC-33 & Feisol 3372 + Anvil 30 comment

Diver,
Thank you for your work on explaining the differences on the tripods and heads, I have a set of Series 3 RRS legs headed my way and I need to decide on the head and mounting system. I'm prepared to pull the trigger on the TA-3 leveling head but I was interested to know what mounting plate you used on your AICS stock in the first picture of this thread?
Thanks, Scott
Sorry - I think I missed this? If I not sorry again for the double reply!

RRS SOAR adapter on 2 AICS AX and also on a AT .

One AT I have a 1.5” dovetail in the bottom slots. Most my others and hunting rifles also uses just a standard 1.5” dovetail. But be careful, the Arca style with the cheap Chinese offerings, can be loose in a RRS clamp.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great write up! For the people that went to shot show, did anyone get preliminary pricing for the Anvil 30?

Driver a great write up. I think I just might save for the RRS TVC-33, the new RRS Avil-30 Ballhead and a RRS Chassis Plate for my 6.5 AIAT. Thanks again for the great write up.

@Diver - I got the chance to checkout the new Anvil-30 head from RRS at SHOT this year. It looks to be a game changer in terms of comparison between the leveling bases vs heads:

Ha- I think that is Frank in the background talking as well :)

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I’m curious about how the Anvil 30 RRS Setup shown at Shot will compare to the TVC33 and Fiesol 3372. I’d love to hear some more info from those who have seen it.

I was convinced that the 3372 w/ RRS leveling base was going to be the ticket for me. If this thing is a game changer then I’m more receptive to saving up for the RRS.

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I’m curious about how the Anvil 30 RRS Setup shown at Shot will compare to the TVC33 and Fiesol 3372. I’d love to hear some more info from those who have seen it.

I was convinced that the 3372 w/ RRS leveling base was going to be the ticket for me. If this thing is a game changer then I’m more receptive to saving up for the RRS.

The new Anvil-30 head is really nice. It seems much more flexible than the leveling base with more angle, but as strong of clamping power, and with a low center of gravity like a leveling base. I think the goal was to get the best of both worlds from a leveling base/head. I haven't been able to shoot one yet, just play with it at SHOT, but from what I have seen, its a really smart design improvement specifically for shooters.

Reactions: skatz11
You have the exact setup as I do on the Feisol and I could not be happier. I like the fact that the Feisol has a higher weight rating than the RRS. This and a few hundred dollar savings is why I chose the Feisol over the RRS tripod.

Haha

IMG_6055.PNG

Good thread. THanks for the write up Diver.

I was on the fence between the Leofoto or the Feisol, and got a decent deal on a Feisol 3372. Not to get a head for it. I will order the anvil when it ships, but in meantime might get the U LB so it can be transferred to a hunting tripod later. Who knows when the anvil will ship.

DT

Just another fast on off carry option. I use the flush cups so that I can run it on the side of a tiny pack and still access all my pockets. It comes on and off with the push of a flush cup.

In the pocket is my 15x spotter. The front strap over my chest, my PLRF and Kestrel

I leave the attachments on the pack:

RRS Flush cups.jpg
RRS attaches with QR.jpg

#3 S-biner https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Siz...e=UTF8&qid=1549064437&sr=1-5&keywords=s-biner

It was actually cheaper than using the tab gear attachments I had, buying a entire sling for $9.99 on Amazon. The price is gone up a bit to $13.99 still cheap. I then just cut the metal buckle off..https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JA9E45I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
That Sitka bag is great. Been running one as an EDC bag for about a year. Perfect size for everything and really durable, mine still looks new.

Does the tripod bang around when worn like that?

Does the tripod bang around when worn like that?
If I was Running, but not at all hiking. You can also run a strap over it..

On my bigger pack I run it upside down in a side pocket, with the top compression strap over the leg.. but might switch to just using the flush cup on that too. The flush cup on the outer most leg keeps the other legs locked in.
KUIU-RRS.jpg

@Stpilot12

I no longer have my 3372 - can you use your calipers and post the DIA?

The only downside I see is that you'd need 2 collars as the Apex flush cup will not easily go one the Feisol apex.

@Stpilot12

I no longer have my 3372 - can you use your calipers and post the DIA?

The only downside I see is that you'd need 2 collars as the Apex flush cup will not easily go one the Feisol apex.

Yes.... I’ll post that up this afternoon. Yeah, it would prolly be $$ but I was thinking I could run 2 collars if they fit

Edited main post to add/ toss of the difference in stability between the RRS head offerings BH55, TA-UL-LC, ANVIL 30 and TA-3.

Just ordered my Cretac 3372 today with leveling head and arca rail quick release today, I'll post pics when they get in, had to save up for it, but pumped....

Just ordered my Cretac 3372 today with leveling head and arca rail quick release today, I'll post pics when they get in, had to save up for it, but pumped....

Please do. Interested to see if the bowl is the same.

I have not seen the new Cretac 3372. I think the only change is that the legs fold up backwards. This of course would be great for a ball head, but might not add any advantage to the TA-3 because you'll still have the 4" handle now sticking out of the bottom.

Mike has some details on how we might use the Anvil 30 as a universal. For some this might be a game changer.

Hoping to add his comments once he is done with his service to the USA

@MPHReallyRightStuff

Btw I love my RRS setup for matches; but more than humble brag, my son waxed this hog on a RRS at about 450 yards running as fast as I have ever seen one run with a 120gmx in a 6.5. I was spotting, I saw dust of the impact, it did a huge summersaulte and stopped dead. The only other shot I have ever seen like this is the Quigley Down Under movie lol

A2C8265C-BB22-4DF3-90E1-2F7CCF5BE204.jpeg

Love the RRS stuff - it has changed the game

To the OP: As someone in the market for a tripod upgrade - I thank you Sir for this informative review & subsequent thread...

Reactions: Diver160651
Updated to add a few more images of the Anvil 30 at the same standing height as the larger Apex needed for the TA-3 leveling head.

Mike sent over some Anvil 30 images for universal use. But I am still waiting until he sends over more info. I will update again shortly.

Just wanted to add a couple things I've received a few PM's on using the flush cups.

1. The Flush cups are available on the RRS website.
  2. For the leveling base, you want this set. Note in the images below that you can make it work not only on the RRS TV33/34, but also the 3372 if you are willing to tap 2 10/32 holes. http://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/RRS-Pod-QD-Strap-Set?quantity=1&custcol58=1
  3. Yes they are also available for the Anvil 30 but you need these two items.
    1. QD Mont for the Anvil 30 Apex http://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/QD-Mount-for-TFCT
    2. Leg Collar for the #3 series (assuming you have the #3) http://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/RRS-Pod-QD-Collar
The Anvil 30 mounts on the side vrs the bottom of the leveling base's Apex. The leg collar is as previously shown.
Unknown-4.jpeg

Unknown-5.jpeg

For the 3372 - You need to drill and Tap 2 10/32 or a course thread will work like this.
3372-flush-cup-base.jpg

Below is the Series 3 collar on the 3372 legs without modification:
Unknown-9.jpeg

Diver160651 this thread has been a great help to me and I'm sure to many others who are trying to navigate the tripod arena. After reading all of your posts, am I correct in thinking your favorite combination is the RRS TVC-33 coupled with the RRS TA-3? This is assuming money and movement beyond 15 degrees are not part of the equation. And also assuming stability, compatability, and overall function are the priorities. I will be using my purchase for shooting off of but also for spotting and for a range finder. Do you think the TVC-33 is tall enough for the second two purposes for a 5' 10'' old fart who doesn't like to bend over or should one consider the added height of the RRS TVC-34L? Thanks again.

Diver160651 this thread has been a great help to me and I'm sure to many others who are trying to navigate the tripod arena. After reading all of your posts, am I correct in thinking your favorite combination is the RRS TVC-33 coupled with the RRS TA-3? This is assuming money and movement beyond 15 degrees are not part of the equation. And also assuming stability, compatability, and overall function are the priorities. I will be using my purchase for shooting off of but also for spotting and for a range finder. Do you think the TVC-33 is tall enough for the second two purposes for a 5' 10'' old fart who doesn't like to bend over or should one consider the added height of the RRS TVC-34L? Thanks again.

We’ll not so simple.

First I am 5’10” and I am nowhere near maxed on on the leveling base, ball head or Anvil.

No matter what, you need to bend at the waist and put as little shooter into the bipod as you can while still managing recoil if you want tinny groups.

Here is the complicated part. I am willing to give up maybe a 1/4 moa <.1 to gain the flexibility, speed of setup of the Anvil; yet, if seconds between shots matter, the leveling base seems a hair faster. If you have a 3372 the leveling base also will play into your choice.

In a bit Shell, if you want the very, very best in accuracy because your shooting paper get the leveling base, if you are missing interested in flexibility lol to the anvil 30.

Did that make any sence?

Reactions: jafo96
BTW there is a option to add the Anvil 30 to your Feisol or similar where the TA-3 would work. I have not tried it but it is the same base plate diameter at the TA-3 or the standard top cap for the Apex on the TV-33.
Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 8.38.02 AM.png

Any idea if there is an Anvil 30 that would work with the smaller Feisol 3342?

Great post. I am looking at the 3372 tripod with either the Anvil or the TA3. I have gone back and forth, but I think the TA3 will end being the better buy for PRS.

Any idea if there is an Anvil 30 that would work with the smaller Feisol 3342?
I'm currently experimenting doing this exact thing, and it appears to be working fine. I was originally thinking about throwing some thread locker onto the 3/8 stud, but it seems to work fine so far
IMG_20190123_172333.jpg

I certainly can, give me some ideas of what you are looking for in particular and I'll work on it when I get off work today

Just how it looks mounted -
is there any place you can put a "set screw"
What tripod you used etc..

Here ya go @Diver160651

Anvil just screwed directly into the feisol base
IMG_20190128_165601.jpg

There are some other threaded holes around the 3/8 (these are how they attached to the RRS adapters is my understanding after talking to Michael over at RRS), but they are too close to get something into from the bottom in my case I believe
IMG_20190128_165553.jpg

Unit folds up onto itself and still fits in my bag as well
IMG_20190128_165631.jpg

Somewhere along here is about where I'm running it for tension when using it
IMG_20190128_165614.jpg

So when I want to mount it into the tripod or take it off I just clamp it completely down like below, and use the rifle to gain leverage to tighten and loosen.
IMG_20190128_165534.jpg

I have not accidently taken it loose yet, not even close. I might tomorrow though... But disclaimer, I'm not all high speed low drag fighting from rooftops or PRS on a clock... I just like to shoot stuff and hunt a little bit

Here ya go @Diver160651

Anvil just screwed directly into the feisol base
View attachment 7013506
There are some other threaded holes around the 3/8 (these are how they attached to the RRS adapters is my understanding after talking to Michael over at RRS), but they are too close to get something into from the bottom in my case I believe
View attachment 7013507
Unit folds up onto itself and still fits in my bag as wellView attachment 7013509
Somewhere along here is about where I'm running it for tension when using it
View attachment 7013510
So when I want to mount it into the tripod or take it off I just clamp it completely down like below, and use the rifle to gain leverage to tighten and loosen.
View attachment 7013511
I have not accidently taken it loose yet, not even close. I might tomorrow though... But disclaimer, I'm not all high speed low drag fighting from rooftops or PRS on a clock... I just like to shoot stuff and hunt a little bit

Nice - I do not have my 3342 anymore any chance you can measure the apex plate when you get a chance. Your post is answering a lot of PMs I've had - so I am sure somebody will be grateful.

Thats one light setup!

Nice - I do not have my 3342 anymore any chance you can measure the apex plate when you get a chance. Your post is answering a lot of PMs I've had - so I am sure somebody will be grateful.

Thats one light setup!

I think I know what you are after and the question is what led me to speak with Michael at RRS, he was incredibly helpful in comparing measurements to the RRS bowl options compared to the Feisol.

If you are thinking what I believe I can confirm simply there is no bowl option even remotely close for the smaller Feisol.

If you are after something else, I will try to get all the dimensions I can if you let me know what you are thinking

I think I know what you are after and the question is what led me to speak with Michael at RRS, he was incredibly helpful in comparing measurements to the RRS bowl options compared to the Feisol.

If you are thinking what I believe I can confirm simply there is no bowl option even remotely close for the smaller Feisol.

If you are after something else, I will try to get all the dimensions I can if you let me know what you are thinking
Yes, your images showed the top nicely, the other question you just answered :) thanks!

Reactions: Brent Parker
diver, any thoughts on the rigidity and whether this would come back online with the ta-3 if the anvil was direct mounted to the original apex and plate?
when everyone tried to tell me that a shrunk down apex and that tiny ass ball head was going to be as rigid as the og apex and leveling base i knew it was bullshit. physics and stuff....lol