• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS Leveling heads- RRS TVC-33 & Feisol 3372 + Anvil 30 comment

diver, any thoughts on the rigidity and whether this would come back online with the ta-3 if the anvil was direct mounted to the original apex and plate?
when everyone tried to tell me that a shrunk down apex and that tiny ass ball head was going to be as rigid as the og apex and leveling base i knew it was bullshit. physics and stuff....lol
It certainly is not as rigid as the TA-3; even when mounted in the cup and proper apex. It seem achair less so when I just screwed it to the 3/8 stud on the flat plate. But if you’re in your garage playing with this stuff, even with the old aluminum manfrotos everything seems awesome.

Get out and shoot small targets rather quickly or in 15 to 25 mile an hour wind with a long barrel and the levels of stability and or lower vibration, it is readily apparent.

As you suggest there seems not to be a free lunch.

It certainly is not as rigid as the TA-3; even when mounted in the cup and proper apex. It seem achair less so when I just screwed it to the 3/8 stud on the flat plate. But if you’re in your garage playing with this stuff, even with the old aluminum manfrotos everything seems awesome.

Get out and shoot small targets rather quickly or in 15 to 25 mile an hour wind with a long barrel and the levels of stability and or lower vibration, it is readily apparent.

As you suggest there seems not to be a free lunch.

thanks for the insight bud!

Reactions: Diver160651
thanks for the insight bud!

BTW the garage comments and get out and shoot are not at all directed at you..

We see guys all the time getting a Silk or whatever and first thing they do is mount up the rifle, often with the fulcrum very far forward and rave about the stability and even provide reviews. That is what I was attempting to point out, I know thats is not you in anyway.

BTW the garage comments and get out and shoot are not at all directed at you..

We see guys all the time getting a Silk or whatever and first thing they do is mount up the rifle, often with the fulcrum very far forward and rave about the stability and even provide reviews. That is what I was attempting to point out, I know thats is not you in anyway.

no worries. didnt take it that way at all

Appears to be a little less than 3.5 lbs without being perfectly clean

How much does this vary from your other set ups?

I'm very content for a hunting tripod to haul around, maybe not ideal for some other tasks though...

I think I am 1.4lbs heavier running the larger TV33 RRS setup.

The universal on the 3342 Ferisol was about the same, but lacked the articulation and when the hog was added only about a 1/2lbs lighter than the full sized RRS..

I get asked about where I bought the flush cup mounts every few weeks - so I reposted the picture and added the link.. works with the Anvil 30 the same way.

Just another fast on off carry option. I use the flush cups so that I can run it on the side of a tiny pack and still access all my pockets. It comes on and off with the push of a flush cup.

In the pocket is my 15x spotter. The front strap over my chest, my PLRF and Kestrel

I leave the attachments on the pack:
RRS Flush cups.jpg

#3 S-biner https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Siz...e=UTF8&qid=1549064437&sr=1-5&keywords=s-biner

It was actually cheaper than using the tab gear attachments I had, buying a entire sling for $9.99 on Amazon. The price is gone up a bit to $13.99 still cheap. I then just cut the metal buckle off..https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JA9E45I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: seansmd
Wanted to say thanks to y’all, and @m1match for all the good information. I went with the feisol 3472 and Anvil 30 (type 3) and couldn’t be happier. Like I know what I’ve been missing my whole life! Haha

76F3A262-E308-4CFE-88EF-207B840D0F6A.jpeg

96F017E8-869F-4DE1-8EBA-7610336F140F.jpeg

7F6F6960-1E52-4F54-BE9E-8F9E8601B2B1.jpeg

Perfect height for shooting from any position, packs down small and fits on or in my Eberlestock gunslinger II, no rattle, light but rigid and sturdy! Used it predator hunting the other day with my RRA Operator 2, and made the difference on a couple long night shots.

I’m going to try to get some better pictures with my Nikon and post them up soon.

Reactions: jafo96
Your welcome! Now that I've had my 3472 for a while and shot it in practice and matches, I still think that for the price, the Feisol 3372 or 3472 are a very good value. The only issue that I've had is the locking collar parts are plastic and the anti rotation pieces inside the leg sections can sometimes get dislodged if you twist the leg too much (like when trying to really tighten the locking collar down) and if that happens you have to remove the leg section and reposition the anti rotation piece. The RRS Anvil 30 has been trouble free, works very well, and the Series 3 platform works great in the Feisol 3472.

Reactions: WoobieJ
Try to keep the mounting point as close to the magwell as possible and still be able to remove the mag.

That’s also part of the benifit of using a full length or longer Dove-tail on your forend. So you can slid it close for a near interference fit if stability is the key focus and yet slid it out if a long mag is in the way

Reactions: WoobieJ
I get asked about where I bought the flush cup mounts every few weeks - so I reposted the picture and added the link.. works with the Anvil 30 the same way.

Just another fast on off carry option. I use the flush cups so that I can run it on the side of a tiny pack and still access all my pockets. It comes on and off with the push of a flush cup.

In the pocket is my 15x spotter. The front strap over my chest, my PLRF and Kestrel

I leave the attachments on the pack:
#3 S-biner https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Siz...e=UTF8&qid=1549064437&sr=1-5&keywords=s-biner

It was actually cheaper than using the tab gear attachments I had, buying a entire sling for $9.99 on Amazon. The price is gone up a bit to $13.99 still cheap. I then just cut the metal buckle off..https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JA9E45I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those #3 S-biners are perfect, very creative on the sling and chopping off everything but quick disconnect.

Figured I'd add something to the thread.
I used the "old Gold Standard Manfrotto" without the extra stabilizing stuff like a sling and the same with the RRS and Anvil 30.

Just a dirty non-scientific look thru my night vision on my pest control PCP. Shown to show the difference in stability 350 yards at 14x NOTE that my match gun is way better balanced, heavier and way less shaky in general.

I purposely mounted the gun and unmounted without much technique to show how the vibration, the time it takes to settle or how wind might vibrate the gun. (remember wind causes a lot of issues with vibration.)

I ran 9 steps to show instability, both the same (times below are only for the RRS video)
1. Turned on to see how much vibration takes to settle. Please pay attention to the test in this area. All I did was press firmly on the scopes power button. I did not touch the gun in any other way..
2. Mounting gun, getting comfortable with NPA. 0:12 –o:15​
3a Moving to target - holding the tripod loaded on the target (note you can free recoil and be dead still on the target but I was purposely trying to show realistic shake if your loading the gun) 0:16-0:20​
3b Deciding on target 0:21-023​
3c Holding target 0:34-0:26​
4. On mounting the gun 0:27-0:29​
5. 1st of 2 Tapping HARD on the Butt stock sideways to show how long it takes to settle 0:30
6 2nd of 2 Tapping HARD on the Butt stock sideways to show how long it takes to settle 0:36
7 Mounting the Gun 0:40​
8a Moving to a new Target 0:41-0:46​
8b Setting on Target 0:47​
9. Un-mounting the gun 0:50​
RRS with Anvil 30 stability 1 of 3 comparing Manfrotto Takes :50 to complete even taking extra time, not sure what I was really planning on doing. Also going super slow even though the gun settled.
RRS Anvil test​

RRS with Anvil 30 stability 2 of 3 comparing Manfrotto Takes 1:46 to complete.
Manfrotto with center column UP set to RRS Height. NOTE the first few seconds of this video as all I did was press the power button on the NV just like all three tests, holly smokes, there is a HUGE difference!!

RRS with Anvil 30 stability 2 of 3 comparing Manfrotto Takes 1:02 to complete
Manfrotto center column lowered all the way lower than RRS Height. Again, NOTE the first few seconds of this video as all I did was press the power button on the NV just like all three tests.

Note that the cheap carbon fiber tripod a lot of people are saying works just as good, was to close to the manfrotto to warrant posting

Last edited:
For the folks looking for an Anvil 30, they were back in stock with the fixed apex kit on the RRS as of this morning.

Diver, I just got the 3372 and RRS Ta-3 today. This is what I did for shimming the RRS head... I cut a length of 12 gauge copper wire to wrap in the groove on the RRS head. Its not quite a press fit into the Feisol bowl, 10 gauge might be. The copper wire protects from any screw damage to the base and it lock up tight as hell.

EDIT: The copper wire worked great, but I've since machined an aluminum bushing that is a press fit on the RRS head, and a press fit in the Feisol bowl. Rock solid.
Can you tell me more about this? I am wanting the TA-3 but don't want to use the RT bowl. Have any pics of the bushing you made? Want to make me one on a trade for a rear bag??

Edit- I meant to post this in the RT 90C thread so disregard if you are talking about a different tripod lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: jp67
I recently picked up the Anvil30 tho replace my TA3. Pretty happy so far. I didn't do anything special to mount, just screwed it in like I did with the TA3. I never had the TA3 during any of my matches and only slightly marked the surface from the set screws.

This really is a useful thread, I’m impressed.

However, instead of locking your gun into the tripod, what’s the opinion on a Spec-Rest? I have a cheap bench version that operates in a similar fashion. It’s accurate and fast to get the rifle in/out of.

The Spec-Rest is shown being used by snipers at the Super Bowl and the like, and it seems well reviewed (i.e. on the Military Arms Channel on YT).

Personally, the tripod part looks a little janky but the business part looks awesome.

I think a lot of people on the thread are looking for something that is versatile and transportable. I shoot PRS and need something that I can carry, use my binos, then be able to use the tripod for a rear rest, support or mount the gun for a stage. I would assume a hunter would have the same needs.

No doubt the link you posted is a sweet setup. Just more a dedicated shooting platform.

This really is a useful thread, I’m impressed.

However, instead of locking your gun into the tripod, what’s the opinion on a Spec-Rest? I have a cheap bench version that operates in a similar fashion. It’s accurate and fast to get the rifle in/out of.

The Spec-Rest is shown being used by snipers at the Super Bowl and the like, and it seems well reviewed (i.e. on the Military Arms Channel on YT).

Personally, the tripod part looks a little janky but the business part looks awesome.

I think a lot of people on the thread are looking for something that is versatile and transportable. I shoot PRS and need something that I can carry, use my binos, then be able to use the tripod for a rear rest, support or mount the gun for a stage. I would assume a hunter would have the same needs.

No doubt the link you posted is a sweet setup. Just more a dedicated shooting platform.

Yep super fast in the field, not just PRS; this took 4 of the 6 Elk .. All shots were way better placed too..

With practice it is faster than a bogpod.. and so stable it is not anywhere in the same class. The hunters I was hunting with went from disbelief that this was hunting capable, to ordering them on the ride home after 1o days of watching it in action.

image below after I set my system up for my brother in law.. smoked a bull at the top of the far ridge on our last legal day.
258FBD81-E891-4670-BA99-D65A04623465.jpeg

Last edited:
If anyone has the new Ascend and the 33 love to see a through scope video. I had the pre-ascend or series 1, so I'd love to see if the improved series 1 (ascend is in any way closer to the 33)

Diver , Just checking are you still liking the ta-3 head , or have you switched to the anvil 30 ?
As a hunter first, the compactness and the increased speed for high angles the Anvil provides, win for me. For pure stability, the wider base, lower center of the head provides for less wobble, the leveling base is king.

The truth is that there are not many times other than hunting and practicing for hunting that shooting from the tripod is mandated, so the Anvil is probably the better all-around choice once you get to practice on it.

Reactions: D_TROS and jp67
Has any one used a sirui sr-3203 with an anvil-30 looks comparable to the feisol 3372 just a bit lighter duty. cameraland has a sale on these and was looking at going that route or maybe with a k-30x ball head. Will be used as an all around light range use spotting and hunting setup.