• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS tripods...Which one is better for sitting shots?

gigamortis

Habitual Sender
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2013
For those that have done some tripod time in the sitting position, what's your experiences with leg positions? What are the pros and cons of leg position 1 vs leg position 2 while sitting? Does any of these 2 positions interfere with a comfortable leg placement? Does one leg position feel more stable than the other?

I'm trying to decide between the TFCT-34 and the TFCT-33. The 33 looks to be a little tall for sitting shots with the legs fully retracted in the 1st position, but plenty low enough if the legs are spread out to the 2nd position. The 34 has a low enough height with retracted legs in the 1st position for sitting. I do like the 33 since there are only 3 leg sections and quicker to set up, but I don't want to cut myself short on any useful benefit the 4 section 34 might have.

1st position for standing. 2nd position for sitting. 3rd position for prone. I have yet to try prone but the other two I have much experience. My leg length for standing in the 1st position coincidentally, or not, is perfect for kneeling/sitting in the 2nd position.

seated is easy to accomplish with both 33 and 34. If you want to settle in much deeper with the 33 you might have to open one leg lock to the next position as long as your head has enough adjustment. With either you’ll find a fast easy way to set it up on an extremely fast time table.
As far as some positions of the legs in seated I like one leg forward. Sometimes with one leg to the 1o’clock. In that case I can rest my right leg on the right leg of the tripod to enable less hop if high caliber rifles or free recoiling more

Reactions: Jefe's Dope