• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Rucking weight placement

D1gger

GDI
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 12, 2017
    Staunton, VA
    I'm trying to get some training in for a sniper challenge early next year, walking with my pack 3-4 days a week.
    I'm starting to add more weight to it, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. In my mind, the heavy stuff should be low in the pack, but it also tends to want to move or bounce more.
    Should you pack the heavy stuff low, like on my lower back or higher up on the shoulders?
    Thanks

So, it depends a lot on the load carriage system/suspension of the pack, but generally speaking for any backpack, weight should be distributed so that the heaviest things are higher up and closer to the part of the pack closest to your back (your midline).

The most important thing regardless of weight is to have a good backpack/suspension system that is set up properly to your body. It will make a WORLD of difference. Even if the pack's weight alone is a bit heavier, if the suspension and hip-belt are good, you will notice much less fatigue and much greater comfort with light and heavy loads alike compared to a lighter pack with less robust of a suspension.

If you are using a buttpack/wildland firefighting pack-style setup, the heavy stuff should still be as tight to your midline/as high in the pack as possible, and you should invest in a good suspension system.

Also, if you have weight in a pack and the pack's volume isn't filled entirely, make sure that you stuff the pack with filler (pillows/blankets etc.) below the weight and cinch it down tight so that your weight bumps around less/moves less.

Also, don't just train with weight, but also train with similar pieces of gear that will sit at an angle or on one side of a pack for an extended period of time; you would be amazed at just how much a few pounds of gear hanging off-centerline will affect fatigue/overall performance.

This coming from lots of time carrying heavy/bulky stuff in a variety of backpack and suspension systems across distances.

Hope this helps.

OK, that makes sense. I'm using a Eberlestock X31 Lo-drag pack. Prior to yesterday, I just had my PC in the pack with a 10 lb weight plate to get a feel for weight. Yesterday, I had it loaded similar to what I would carry for the match, with my Cole Tac ammo novel with about 100 rds and most of my other shooting stuff. The weight was fine, but it seemed to bounce a lot. I had the heaviest stuff low, and it just seemed wrong-that's why I asked.
    I did not have my rifle. I'll add that as well
    Thanks

Sounds like you've got things well thought out!

Another thing to note - if you're going to be moving with a PC and a pack on, You'll quickly find what works (and what is a total pain) when it comes to straps and load carriage. Pack straps dig into you and slide around in odd ways if you're wearing plates, and can get super annoying.

Another good trick is to buy a pipe (metal or PVC), fill it to your desired weight with sand or lead shot etc., and take that with you as your training buddy if you can't bring your rifle. Sledgehammers work well for this too, but the majority of the weight is in the head.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    I've thought about making a PVC "rifle" to train with as far as rucking goes. It'll be a little more PC in my neighborhood. My AR with the stock collapsed is pretty much completely concealed.

You could drop a lot of weight by changing packs. 3-4 lbs. That matters. If you can swing it, think about it.

what would you suggest as far as packs? This is my first one of this type. I have to admit, it's a good pack, but it is kind of small.

what would you suggest as far as packs? This is my first one of this type. I have to admit, it's a good pack, but it is kind of small.
    Is it really small or are you trying to carry too much?

As others have said keep the weight high and close to you. This keeps your posture better and reduces the amount your core has to work to keep you vertical.

For training don’t worry much about adding weight every week. Pick days to go heavy and days to go fast. Vary the surfaces/terrain as much as possible which will give better overall fitness and reduce overuse injuries. Also don’t forget you might get a lot more out of two high intensity rucks in a day over one show slog of the same distance. And don’t slack on keeping the feet tough and healthy.

Reactions: Leftie
    Kifaru packs of the same size will save you some weight. More importantly they will carry a lot lighter. Hill People gear, made by First Spear, is great. I use a Ute for most things, and it is about 1.5 lbs lighter with double the capacity. Carries great as well. You could go even lighter with something like Exo, that is really a backcountry hunting pack. All of these are going to have better suspension systems than Eberlestock in my opinion.

I've thought about making a PVC "rifle" to train with as far as rucking goes. It'll be a little more PC in my neighborhood. My AR with the stock collapsed is pretty much completely concealed.
    A heavy sledgehammer is a good rifle substitute for ruck runs.

As mentioned by others, keep the weight high and distributed evenly.

Honestly man, train with the setup you’ll actually have during the comp. load it down with your water, ammo, gear, etc and train that way. You’ll quickly find what works and what doesn’t as well as how everything shifts around while moving across ground. My MR3DAP with my actual shooting gear rides and feels much different than my Alice mountain ruck that’s loaded with a 50# sandbag in the radio pouch. Two different packs with different loads for different purposes. Train as you fight and you’ll find little ways to make your gear more efficient.

Best of luck with the train up and the comp man. 🍻

Is it really small or are you trying to carry too much?
    I don't think I'm carrying too much. Most of what I have fits in my small range pack, except for my 15X binos. I've got the ammo novel, 2 magpul AICS mags, a small tool pouch, 1.5L camelback, lightweight rain jacket, eyepro. That's about it. There's space, but not much. For the match, I'll need to add pistol ammo, maybe a small rear bag. Probably a rangefinder too. I'll add the tripod to the outside. I'll need some food too. By the time I have my full loadout, it's going to be REALLY full
    On the Kifaru, do they have a way to carry a rifle? That's why I went with the Eberlestock, but I'm not sure if that is worth it. I could carry it crucifix style on a larger pack I guess

There's a lot of great information in this thread, and I second what sea2summit said regarding keeping feet tough and healthy. I've found that this book is probably the best I've come across, and everyone's feet respond differently (either better or worse) to different foot care/prevention methods.

Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes by John Vonhof

Figure out what works with your feet/footwear combination way in advance of your competition, and you will be miles ahead (maybe literally) of others who haven't done their proper preparation.

Also make sure that you break in your footwear of choice well before the event, or you will be miserable.

Reactions: D1gger
    Figure out what works with your feet/footwear combination way in advance of your competition, and you will be miles ahead (maybe literally) of others who haven't done their proper preparation.

Also make sure that you break in your footwear of choice well before the event, or you will be miserable.

Not claiming to be an expert, and only quoting from direct experience - as a civilian I've done a number of long multi-day hikes with ~60lbs, the most recent of which was last month in the Alps (10 days and 100+miles) with lots of elevation change. Those on the trip who had never bothered to break in shoes or evaluate shoe + sock combo had the worst time, beyond those who did no training.

I personally like a light non-waterproof trail runner with appropriate cushioned socks, which may not be appropriate for you, but the point still stands on foot comfort no matter your preference.

And for pack loading, balance can be a factor, heavy items close to body seems to be a primary rule, and then position high or low on the body can depend somewhat on how much torso movement you expect. I prefer heavier lower, as it causes the lease center of gravity shift - but again, that may be task specific if you are going to be mostly upright on flat terrain.

And drop weight wherever you can.

Not much to add but, I’m 20 miles into a mystery ranch sawtooth and I’m very happy with it. The compression straps are great for squeezing down the load close to the body for when the volume isn’t quite there. And just a little tip, fight the urge to excessively break at the waist (or maybe that’s just a problem I have). It’s not necessary if the pack fits appropriately.

You could drop a lot of weight by changing packs. 3-4 lbs. That matters. If you can swing it, think about it.

As the owner of a GSII I can agree EB's are heavy to start.

I also find the Vietnamese built harness designed more for them than your typical American.

I love mine but it wouldnt be my rucking pack if I actually rucked.

Not claiming to be an expert, and only quoting from direct experience - as a civilian I've done a number of long multi-day hikes with ~60lbs, the most recent of which was last month in the Alps (10 days and 100+miles) with lots of elevation change. Those on the trip who had never bothered to break in shoes or evaluate shoe + sock combo had the worst time, beyond those who did no training.

I personally like a light non-waterproof trail runner with appropriate cushioned socks, which may not be appropriate for you, but the point still stands on foot comfort no matter your preference.

And for pack loading, balance can be a factor, heavy items close to body seems to be a primary rule, and then position high or low on the body can depend somewhat on how much torso movement you expect. I prefer heavier lower, as it causes the lease center of gravity shift - but again, that may be task specific if you are going to be mostly upright on flat terrain.

And drop weight wherever you can.

If I knew than what I know now about socks humps in the suck might not have sucked so much.

For me personally make mine a thin natural silk liner sock with a quality wool cushioning sock - Smartwool as an example.

Uphill is a dream.

You might start to get some hot soul on a long pounding downhill which you could probably mitigate with fresh socks prior to descent.

Reactions: XLR308
    What is the max weight you will be hauling around?? 10lbs? 25lbs?? 45lbs???

As the owner of a GSII I can agree EB's are heavy to start.

I also find the Vietnamese built harness designed more for them than your typical American.

Agree wholeheartedly, I've suffered under the weight and poor fit of my GS II for too long so I just got a Mystery Ranch 2 DAP. It's like night and day when it comes to the fit and feel between these two packs. And the fucking compression straps on the GS II were such a pain in my ass. If the pack wasn't packed full then you had to run the upper horizontal strap over the two vertical straps to keep the whole thing from feeling like a floppy piece of shit. When I had my GS II loaded up for a match or range trip it felt like I was hauling around double the weight and in the MS loaded up with the stuff stuff the pack feels more nimble.

Reactions: pmclaine
    As the above have mention carry heavy higher on the back.

I used the chest/sternum strap to keep the shoulder straps in place. Weight tended to ride on the hips/waist, adjust the shoulder straps to keep it aligned where it fits best for you and your stride. I could run a higher weight with a little less shoulder strap tension helping me to "walk" more upright instead of bending over due to the weight.

I liked to use water containers in my training. That allowed me some "relief" when I needed it...god knows when you aren't ready for 40lbs your body will tell you. Easier to dump water so your not crushed calling for help cause you can't get home...LOL

Good luck !!

.......crushed calling for help cause you can't get home......

Haha

Been there a few times. But I wasn't crushed, my knee locked up and I couldn't take another step. That was before I knew what IT band syndrome is....its a bitch is what it is. It's been 3 years and it's still fucked up.

The water idea is brilliant. Never thought of that.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
    Like @striped1, I like MR packs a lot, and I'm reasonably certain that their suspension systems are the reason that my body isn't more jacked up.

Regarding weight, it's important to start with a baseline - so, what's your baseline? Are you able to do a 3-miler with 10 lbs in 45 minutes or less? how about the same time/distance with double that? When working up on weight, sometimes it's important to confidence test yourself as well. I tend to do this by taking a known weight amount that I have done the speed/distance with that I am using as my goal, and then throw a couple things that I don't know weights to off the top of my head into the pack. If I'm feeling like a glutton for punishment, I'll put a known weight into the pack, and then add a few random bits, just to mess with myself.

The water as weight idea that @HeavyAssault mentioned works well, and also means that you'll stay hydrated, which is super important!

Also, don't underestimate the importance of good stretching, your body will thank you, and you will be far less prone to injury when you start approaching the 40lb+ pack weight.

@corey4 : Crushed in a sense of painful injury. LOL....as you experienced.

Yea..I've been in the "back 40" plenty of times trying to get back to the start point after maybe bitting off too much....Glad I had "water weight" to dump to get home in one piece. I was amazed how much a change in 10 lbs in the load made when walking.

As @Leftie mentioned the water had a dual purpose. If you were out with a friend you can share if needed. We generally had two drinking systems in/on the pack that were used for personal hydration. Any additional water we packed for weight was there for the trip, getting dumped (if needed), or used as the back up hydration source.

For training, I use a 40lb “sand baby” (sandbag wrapped in tape). You can also use this for sand baby murph workouts to simulate log pt.

Anything more than that and I’d use water in case you need to ditch it as anything over 40lbs for training can cause issues. As others have said, keep it up high and have good kidney pad and waist strap. If running an actual classic ruck, the tactical tailor frame and pad are gucci comfortable.

I use a 10lb sledge to simulate carrying a rifle.