• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Rucksack as a rifle rest

Re: Rucksack as a rifle rest

Elderstock makes some in Coyote, heres a pic mine:
Lima6310.jpg

not sure about a ruck as a rest but ive seen a deltaforce rucksack used for a carry case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not sure about a ruck as a rest but ive seen a deltaforce rucksack used for a carry case.</div></div>

this I have seen, not pleasant

I think it should be noted that the ruck sack for a shooting platform is generally only used for a quick, (I need to shoot now!) front rest, when you don't have time to make a better rest. Such as walking through the woods hunting & your pack is full of equipment, when you see that awesome game off in the distance. You simply take off the pack prop it up on a log, rock....etc. lay the rifle across it, range & fire.

I think it was meant to be used in this manner.....I mean the backpack would still be full of your supplies, & you wouldn't really be making more than 1 or 2 shots.....just my 2 cents.

When using an old school metal framed mountain ruck (known as a Large Alice Pack) we used to weld a metal bracket onto the bottom position of the frame and glue "iso mat" into the frame. This allowed your position to remain the same regardless of the contents of the pack.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of the mount on an Alice Pack. It works very well and it is rock solid in the prone, particularly when your pack weighs over 80lbs.

Of course this was out of necessity because the M40A1 had no provision for a bipod, and we were not authorized to remove the front sling swivel and install a bipod stud on a Govt issued rifle. I shoot with bipods now.

Also, I was never overly concerned about shooting in the prone position anyway, because in almost every situation where a rifle would be employed, it was always sitting in a house on someones table/couch/pile of rubble in order to see enough of the target area and over ledges, walls, and through windows, etc. Nice, comfy, super stable prone positions are a luxury that rarely present themselves in real environments, particularly in urban environments.

I'll try to dig up a photo for those interested in trying it.

I have a rest that sits on my pack. It is made by Voodoo Tactical and it attached by velcro. I use it when I shoot movers.

I also have a photo of a shooting rest used on an ALICE pack. I will try and find it.

SP15.JPG

Well, I saw the light as a result of this thread. I put my Harris on my AR10 (which I never really used too much in the past other than as a rest for cleaning), set up behind the rifle nice and square, preloaded the legs, and got first round hits on 6" diameter rocks (milled) at 682 and 849 yards (little to no wind).

When used properly, the bi-pod really does make it easier to follow your shots, and presents a stable, repeatable platform versus the ruck, which was forever moving around and getting squashed down.

I would like to try a tripod rest though, as that would provide a taller platform and would approach, in the field, what I get off of a bench. Thanks for all the knowledge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wanna use something other than a bipod, then sling-up. The sling works in any position, providing about 60% more support than bone alone. Learn to use a loop sling, as well as the hasty sling and you'll have the support necessary for most any need. </div></div>

When you advise the use of the loop sling, are you referring to the same loop sling as taught on Parris Island?

Since leaving the USMC, I've not used a loop sling for anything other than shooting an AR-15. Perhaps I've done a tremendous disservice to myself for opting to copy the guys on the range instead of following my training. I currently shoot a Remington 700P chambered in .308. Could you shorten the learning curve by making a specific recommendation for a good sling for this platform?

I also prefer to shoot movers off the ruck because the gun travels so smoothly that way.

It's not as accurate as the bipod because it's not repeatable. That said, it is a tool and can be used like one. e.g. If I stand it up edgewise, I can get height with it that I can't with the bipod.

I would never <span style="font-style: italic">prefer</span> it to the bipod for regular shooting but if it's the handiest thing around for a problem that needs solving, it's getting employed.

--Fargo007

I have had to use ruck before. I dont hate it, it has advantages and disadvantages like any other type of gear including bipods.

I have used a ruck when shooting turtles out of a pond. Bipod didnt give me enough height to see over shin high grass, nor did it give me the ability to pan my rifle to cover all parts of the pond. Shooting into a pond thats 80 yards wide from 100 yards means you have about 40 degrees to cover. I found it easier to use a ruck for this type of application. I cant think of many other situations that i found a ruck to be more advantageous than a bipod but it definitely was for that application.

I would say that Lowlight seems to have it right.
Be consistent with the small things, like finger position on the trigger, check weld, etc, does increase ones capability to make shots.
However, often there are times when one does not have a weapon equipped with a bipod, M1A, M4, whatever and one must IOA-improvise, overcome and adapt.
I think this what what the original post was asking, not whether its "better" then a bipod.
Just how do i do it correctly if its all I have?

Depending on where you are and what you are doing and what's available. In 1985 I killed a caribou in the southern pennisular of Alaska with a 14inch contender. At the moment all I had to rest the forearm on was my 10x binos. I set them up and pulled the eyecups together and rested the gun on the eyecups and hit the caribou where I aimed. He was about 150 yds. out. Now that I think of it I shot an antelope in Wyoming using the same method. As the saying goes; improvise, adapt, overcome!!

Wow, dead thread resurrection!
Like has been said, use what works best in that situation. Means need to practice each. Nothing is going to beat your fundamentals