• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 10/22 barrel length

Jackalope33B

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Sunny Florida
I am running a suppressor on a bolt action 22 Long rifle. I'm considering getting a Ruger 1022 rifle. Obviously the factory barrel will have to go and I was considering getting a barrel from whistle pig. A few questions I have... Would it be better to get a barrel in either 18" 20" or 22" due to me run a suppressor on it and possibly being quieter vs the 16" barrel? All I plan to run is subsonic rounds through the barrel
Also has anyone used a barrel from whistle pig and do you like it?

No help on the pig barrel. Running subs you will be fine down to 6" or even less. A 16" would be perfect for a non-SBR and still handy with a can on it. I doubt you could hear the difference between a suppressed 16" vs. 22".

On the Whistle Pig
I got a Whistle Pig & shot the shit out of it for couple years . It was the one of most accurate barrels I ever owed for 10/22 . The barrel weight is real nice light also .
I have own many custom 10/22 barrels & am shooting a Quantum right @ this moment . The Whistle Pig is 'the only' 10/22 barrel that I never had the heart to sell .

OK Your talking on the lines of 'ultra light' 10/22 weight sleeve & lined barrels .
The ultra light barrel & .22 rimfire is an acquired taste and total opposite & goes against the grain of the .22 heavy match barrel mindset .
( there are 3 ) , that I have owned & shot the crap out of and that I think are superior in accuracy .
In order of accuracy . The Whistle Pig . VQ carbon tension . Quantum
( All 3 are Real accurate ) with the VQ carbon and the Whistle Pig just edging out my Quantum . But ALL 3 are accurate .

on barrel length
Truthfully. 12" barrel length & Suppressor with 10/22 is supreme . With suppressed subsonic ammo & 12" barrel is no loss in range or accuracy either . Suppressed 16" & 12" barrel length shoot exactly the same & sound exactly the same .
Now I find a 20" barrel is more quiet but only because of the extra barrel length & bore help swallow the expanding muzzle gas on the way to Suppressor .

As suggested above, for the money you can't go wrong with a Kidd barrel. With a can my recommendation is the 16" length as it will keep it much more maneuverable. With a 10/22 you will see much more of a difference in sound with subsonic ammo vs a longer barrel.

Bolt gun will be quieter.

Here is my sixteen inch Kidd. Tony does a super job on the threading. Very accurate.

CZ452 factory 16 inch barrel

Last edited:
I see I'm a little late in the game with responding to this thread but I concure with 16" barrel or shorter. If you have a designated can for this gun you can have the barrel cut down, pin and tac the can and only have to file for one stamp. If you're using a can that you want for several rifles, go 16" or 14.5 (pin and tac) with a QD brake for the guns it goes on.

Regardless, as Chard pointed out... the bolt will be quieter. The action is still pretty loud with a suppressed 10/22... even with a rubber buffer and lighter springs.

Also, I am a HUGE believer in the KIDD barrels. Definitely my favorite. However, several people (including myself) have had issues with the seating of a can on KIDD threads. I tried custom adaptors, shims, etc... spoke to KIDD several times - and finally had to have my threads re-cut. Hopefully they have figured out the issue with their newer barrels because KIDD barrels are HAMMERS.

Look at feddersen barrel. I will have mine on Monday and can get some pics up. Have a 22 Long Rifle .920 Bull 16.25" barrel threaded, $145 for the barrel and $25 for threading.

Have read nothing but awesome reviews on the barrel. Once I get the barrel plan on getting things sighted in with a sparrow on the end. Can report back next week.

Regardless, as Chard pointed out... the bolt will be quieter. The action is still pretty loud with a suppressed 10/22... even with a rubber buffer and lighter springs.

Also, I am a HUGE believer in the KIDD barrels. Definitely my favorite. However, several people (including myself) have had issues with the seating of a can on KIDD threads. I tried custom adaptors, shims, etc... spoke to KIDD several times - and finally had to have my threads re-cut. Hopefully they have figured out the issue with their newer barrels because KIDD barrels are HAMMERS.

What do you mean you had issues with the kidd barrel? Where the threads not cut properly or is it something else

Never could quite get it nailed down 100% what the issue was... my smith and I suspected it was the shoulder the can bumped up to wasn't perfectly square.

The can was/is used on several rimfires - pistols and rifles and no issues what-so-ever. As soon as it went on the 10/22 the rifle went from a laser to a shotgun. We could not find any strikes on the baffles of the can.

Again, this was not an isolated issue as I know of 4 others that had the same issue. Once the threads were re-cut; the rifle was a hammer whether loud or quiet.

Edit... do NOT take this as a knock against KIDD barrels or any of their products. I sure as heck don't... mine shoots WAY too well!!

Last edited:
Tactical Solutions X-Ring Threaded Barrels 16" they are ready to go. You can also get them SBX Barrel.
1453445_633849113324272_2057690268_n.jpg

The SBX barrel has bore length of 12.25” with a permanently attached shroud for an overall length of 16.5” allowing the user to attach a suppressor without adding length. If is a photo of the Tactical Solutions AR upper with the SBX barrel.
Tactical_Solutio_4f99c5266f66c.jpg

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

Last edited:

I had fitment problems with my Kidd/Spectre. Sent the barrel back to Kidd and Tony chased the threads and no more problems. Thought I was the only one with this problem. Still worth the trouble as the Kidd is very accurate.

They are garbage! I ended up going with a complete kidd build and would put my barrel up against any factory Ruger barrel in a heartbeat

I have a few of each (100% Kidd builds and Ruger's with cut/threaded factory barrels) and find there to be valid reasons for owning both. Walking around for a few hours carrying a Kidd isn't exactly pleasant, and a cut/threaded factory tube is perfectly accurate for squirrels at 50-100 yards.