• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 77/22 Stock option

Re: RIMFIRE MAGNUM VARMINT Stock

I emailed McMillian last night when I made this post and this is the response I got from Dick Davis:

"We do have a version of this stock that we inlet for the ruger 77/22 series of rifles. We can inlet it for either the standard sporter or a bull barrel of your specs. There is a full price list of all our stocks on the web-site at www.mcmillanusa.com, just click on "stock pricing" on the left hand menu in the "STOCKS" section, but a finished stock with a Decelerator recoil pad and two studs would cost $488 plus shipping. On the site please click on "ordering" at the top of the page to access a PDF of our order form to see all the things we will need to know to make you a stock. You can place an order by calling our toll-free order line at 877-365-6148.
Regards, McMillans"

Price maybe a bit steep, but it sounds like to me a viable option for an aftermarket stock for those of shooting the Ruger 77/22.

I went with a laminate, hogged out the barrel channel, full bed job, and it turned out pretty good. The Mcmillan was on my list for a while but I spent the money on optics instead. Minimal choices out there for 77/22 stocks.

If I do this project it would be my first. What I'm thinking of doing is this: trigger job, bull barrel probably 20", and as of now the McMillian stock. The barrel and trigger job would be done by Clark Custom Guns simply because they do work on the Ruger 77/22. Being a college student this would be done in stages. I just hate to see that beautiful walnut stock get tossed away. As it sits my Ruger is pretty much stock minus the Bushnell 1-4.5x scope it's wearing on top.

might check out pdc custom for a stock also. I like them, and if I remember correctly he said he would/could do one for the 77/22. price is similar to mcmillan though.

good luck

dgwelsh: after looking at pdc custom stocks they are interesting in their design, but not what I'm looking for. McMillain's stock is pretty much what I'm looking for.

Last email i got from Craig at PDC Custom, they were spec'ing a 77/22 stock.

No word back yet. However, i'd more than gladly pay for the PDC stock, because i know that the ergo's will destroy McMillans rimfire varmint. (I choose how it feels, vs spending more and getting stuck)

Also, if you're into laminates, Look at Primary Weapons Systems Stingray stock.

Several years ago I put together a Custom Ruger 77/22. I used a Clack Custom Guns 20" Bull Barrel and did my own trigger job (super crisp at 1 1/4 pounds). In addition to my own trigger job my local gunsmith drilled and tapped my receiver for a trigger overtravel screw.

I set the barreled action in a Volquartsen Laminated Wood Stock (that I have learned to hate). Twice now I have tried reshaping the pistol grip area and it is still not right.

I phoned McMillan today and inquired about their Rimfire Magnum Varmint Stock. The very nice lady on the phone answered all of my questions, including what the time frame is from ordering till I would receive the stock, which she said would be about 3 months.

I am thinking I am going to save up my pennies, nickels and dimes and have to get me a McMillan Rimfire Magnum Varmint Stock.

Thanks for posting the above link.

Larry

Not much options for stocks on the 77/22 so I did my own from a 700 stock but have been doing small custom stuff on guns for a bit.

As for a trigger job its amazing what a Volquartsen sear does. It lightend my trigger to 1 1/2 pounds and little to no creep at all, and $35 from Midway. If you can punch pins out and use a screw driver you can install it.

I'm gratefull for this info, I am new to the site and I have been looking for a long time for a stock for my 77/22. I sanded the original stock on my stainless model down and had a friend duracoat it, it looks ok but I like that tactical feel. I have a scope for it that I am vary happy with for the price, it is a weaver Kaspa tactical 3-12. It comes with aluminated reticale and was about 207 dollars. It's 30 mm tube as well. It has a lot to offer and has great glass for the price. I plan to get a better stock and have my barrel threaded for a suppressor. Then it's to the range to see how she will perform. I also appreciate all the good info on ammunition. I'll have to try all the recommendations. Anyone know of a manufacturer who is puting out something with a ballistic tip for the 22lr? That would be sweet.

Re: Ruger 77/22 Stock option

Scroll to the bottom of this page to look at the 77/22 stocks. (See link below) I have the T-Rex design stock for my 10/22. If I were in the market for a7 7/22 stock I would consider this brand.

"In July of 2010, Primary Weapons Systems, Inc purchased Predator Gun Stocks, LLC in order to bring a line of rimfire rifles and accessories to market with the quality and styling that PWS is known for."

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=23

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yellow Jacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm gratefull for this info, I am new to the site and I have been looking for a long time for a stock for my 77/22. I sanded the original stock on my stainless model down and had a friend duracoat it, it looks ok but I like that tactical feel. I have a scope for it that I am vary happy with for the price, it is a weaver Kaspa tactical 3-12. It comes with aluminated reticale and was about 207 dollars. It's 30 mm tube as well. It has a lot to offer and has great glass for the price. I plan to get a better stock and have my barrel threaded for a suppressor. Then it's to the range to see how she will perform. I also appreciate all the good info on ammunition. I'll have to try all the recommendations. Anyone know of a manufacturer who is puting out something with a ballistic tip for the 22lr? That would be sweet. </div></div>

This is exactly where I am going with mine. I have the paper work for my suppressor in the works and then I plan to cut my barrel down to 22" and threaded for my soon to be home suppressor.

I need to get some new pictures of that thing already.
DSC_8121.jpg

The only reason I still kind of lean towards the McMillian is because of the tactical feel and that's what I'm shooting for honestly, but the price gets me every time I look at the McMillian.

Question for all of you with custom Ruger 77/22s would you mind post pictures and specs on your rifles ? If not, no big deal. Just wanted to see what others are running.

I ordered a McMillan Rimfire Magnum Varmint Stock today for my Custom Ruger 77/22. Yeah it was a lot of $$$ but then I have way more in this rifle than I should anyway.

I ordered mine 50% Black, 25% Light Grey & 25% White Marble. Not going to be real tactical looking but then it is going to be used mostly for Indoor Bench Rest Competition at the local club, and well as smacking small varmints. In talking to the nice ladies at McMillan on the phone I learned that they will add weight to the stock to make it any weight I wanted it. When I asked about the options I was told one way was to have the buttstock portion solid fiberglass instead of foam filled. I was also told this option would add about a pound to the stock so that is what I ordered. To make it heavier yet would mean adding lead at a cost of $51.00 more.

I also ordered a Weaver V24 6x24x42mm AO with the Varminter Reticle fof it (actually am ordering it in the morning).

The hard part is going to be the 3 month wait.

CustomRuger7722-1.jpg

Above is my 77/22 in it's current configuration. The trigger has been totally reworked, plus an overtravel screw installed. The trigger breaks like glass at 1 1/4 pounds. The Barrel is a Clark Custom Guns 20" Stainless-Bull Barrel that was a super tight fit in the action. The Stock (which I have already sold) is a Volquartsen Laminated Wood Stock that I have reshaped and refinished. This stock never did feel right to me thus the reason for ordering the McMillan.

Thanks for reading.

Larry

I am working on it....

Give me some actual 'hard numbers' and I will do my best to convince Revolution to make a laminate A-5 style(Tacticool) stock for the 77/**. I should have at least a prototype done w/in a month or so w/ an approximate price range.

Re: I am working on it....

Maxpower I've read a few threads where guys have been looking for Ruger 77/22 stocks, but couldn't give you any 'hard numbers.' I like the A5 style stock and so far McMillain is the only company that comes close to the design of it, but that comes at a price and time of 3months to wait as well.

Re: Ruger 77/22 Stock option

Nathan, I can't make any timeframe promise that will be any better than 3 months but you WILL like the price better by a long shot. Look for a new thread in the next week or so....

Re: I am working on it....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maxpower</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give me some actual 'hard numbers' and I will do my best to convince Revolution to make a laminate A-5 style(Tacticool) stock for the 77/**. I should have at least a prototype done w/in a month or so w/ an approximate price range. </div></div>

I'm looking forward to what happens with this also. I handled a Savage with the Tacticool stock and I liked the feel of it. I even came close to buying the rifle and I probably would have if I had a few extra bucks.

On a side note, has anyone ever tried to put a 77/22 in a 10-22 stock? Is it even feasible or are the differences to great for the effort?
JMC