• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American Hunter and Factory Ammo

BIg_John

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2022
Colorado Western Slope
Brand new here, but.....

Recently purchased a Ruger American Hunter in a .308, with medium/heavy, 20" ported barrel with a Magpul Stock and a Vortex 6-24x scope.

I have made a single trip to the range to get it zero'd and this little dude is a shooter as she is. I am hunting for the right factory pills and have gone through a few that are fantastic, but I am seeking the 1k cartridge that will be my huckleberry.

Anyway, I just ordered some of these and wonder what everyone's opinion is.... and if you have additional tips and advice.

Federal 308 Win Ammunition Gold Medal GM308BH185 185 Grain Berger Hybrid Open Tip Match 20 rounds

3k1HyHQ.jpg

hjnX4oF.png

Brand new here, but.....

Recently purchased a Ruger American Hunter in a .308, with medium/heavy, 20" ported barrel with a Magpul Stock and a Vortex 6-24x scope.

I have made a single trip to the range to get it zero'd and this little dude is a shooter as she is. I am hunting for the right factory pills and have gone through a few that are fantastic, but I am seeking the 1k cartridge that will be my huckleberry.

Anyway, I just ordered some of these and wonder what everyone's opinion is.... and if you have additional tips and advice.

3k1HyHQ.jpg

hjnX4oF.png
The Rugers are a hammer. My Predator does 1/4 MOA all day if I do my part. Try the 168 ELD match- work great.

I've heard the 168's are darn good out to 600 yards but the 185's and even 200's are far better for 1k shooting.

Wonder what every thinks about that????

I think when it comes to 168s, it's the 168 SMK that people don't generally like for longer ranges.

I believe the 168 ELDM should do better but I have yet to try those in my particular rifle.

This barrel is a 1-10 twist that should stabilize the longer pills.

.... that is, at least up to 200 grainers. Beyond that it is anyones guess. But in a .308, I don't intend to ever get heavier than 185's.

I've heard the 168's are darn good out to 600 yards but the 185's and even 200's are far better for 1k shooting.

Wonder what every thinks about that????

Haven’t tried the 185s and 200s yet. 168s ELDMs have done ok to 1K. Typically do 1/3 to 1 MOA at 1K depending on wind conditions.. 600 and under - does 1/4 to 1/2 MOA in that rifle. Great for a factory rifle with factory ammo in that inexpensive factory stock! Heavier longer pills you may need a different twist rate..

Haven’t tried the 185s and 200s yet. 168s ELDMs have done ok to 1K. Typically do 1/3 to 1 MOA at 1K depending on wind conditions.. 600 and under - does 1/4 to 1/2 MOA in that rifle. Great for a factory rifle with factory ammo in that inexpensive factory stock! Heavier longer pills you may need a different twist rate..
Your Magpul stock is much stiffer than my Predator factory stock so it will do better. Especially if using a bipod

Can we see some pics of those groups while you're doing your part.

Show us some that are all shot on the same target.

What is your technique?

This was the first trip to the range with the gun, so I spent 90% of my time, dialing it in and didn't take any pics of the paper. I had three guns and I would shoot three rounds and would rotate to the next gun, so that the barrels never got hot and I cleaned the barrels, breaking them in properly. But, those three round groups were very, very tight, despite them being off the bullseye.

I am going back to the range, probably next Monday and will take pics of the paper.

As for technique, I was sitting at a cement bench for all the shots. Nothing prone, just a basic tripod rest up front and a sand bag at the back.

Your Magpul stock is much stiffer than my Predator factory stock so it will do better. Especially if using a bipod

Bipod is ordered and on the way. The Magpul requires M-Rail and I couldn't find one locally.

Reactions: AlabamaSlammer2
I sure hope this is the round my gun loves. The calculators reveal really awesome numbers, holding above 1,000 fps out to 1,400 yards.

The Berger Juggernaut 185gr has a G1BC of 0.552.

Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 12.36.23 PM.png

Here's the paper you guys wanted to see on my Ruger American Hunter .308.

I got to the range about 10am and shot up the rest of the box of Hornady Match. It's not bad, but I think this gun deserves better. I was getting right at 1" groups at a 100 yards. I then switched over to the Federal Match 175gr Sierra's and this is my best 3 round group. Once again, at 100 yards. (I took three guns... would shoot three rounds and rotate to the next gun.)

After I finished the 175gr box, I was about to start on the 185gr box with the Berger bullets, but a front blew in and the winds went to 20mph+, so I packed up and left. Supposed to snow tomorrow, so I will try to get back to the range next Monday or Tuesday, but this time I will sit the 200 yard range.

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 2.55.02 PM.png

Brand new here, but.....

Federal 308 Win Ammunition Gold Medal GM308BH185 185 Grain Berger Hybrid Open Tip Match 20 rounds

3k1HyHQ.jpg

hjnX4oF.png
What height of rings you got on there?

Anyone with the ruger american chambered in .308 here, how do you like the rifle so far, what factory ammo are you shooting through it, what’s been most accurate? Wanting to purchase one of these rifles in .308, because 308 is so readily available to purchase, any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Anyone with the ruger american chambered in .308 here, how do you like the rifle so far, what factory ammo are you shooting through it, what’s been most accurate? Wanting to purchase one of these rifles in .308, because 308 is so readily available to purchase, any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Ruger american Hunter**