• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American Rifle - thoughts?

jt-jt

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2007
CA
I'm looking to buy a new rifle and Ruger's new American rifle in 308 has me intrigued. Here are my purposes:
1) Hunting. I hunt whitetail primarily.
2) Long range sport shooting. I've always been a rem700 guy for inexpensive, non-competition bench shooting, but I no longer have one of those. I suppose this is where I'm looking for input. I know the American will serve me just fine for hunting whitetail, but I'm not sure what I'm giving up in terms of long range accuracy to a 700 or similar offering from Ruger, Savage, Winchester, Tikka, etc...

I guess my question is; Is the American fundamentally a less accurate platform than market offering at the 800-1000$ price point? Of course answer this given all other variables are controlled.

Does anyone have one of these rifles? What's your experience? It seems like a fantastic rifle for the money, but I'm no expert.

Re: Ruger American Rifle - thoughts?

Well, if you're of the "you get what you pay for" school, then I would say yes...

With an MSRP of $449, it's a bit more than the Savage Axis.

They're on allocation (like the LC9's were when first introduced) so they're obviously selling them.

While they might make a good hunting platform if the accuracy proves out, keep in mind that every long range shooter I know- including myself- like the ability to customize...

I like Ruger to a point- particularly their handguns- but they have never been a player in the precision rifle field, and their aftermarket support is as close to zero as I've seen...

I would still stick with Remington 700 or Savage actions for your intentions.

It's hardly a fantastic rifle by any stretch, and while I appreciate quality custom built rifles, I have to say these look to be more than decent hunting rifles for the money.

It's an inexpensive design to manufacture, but well made by Ruger, and the few examples that I've seen to date have been sub-moa accurate with cheap factory ammo. That's pretty good for a factory rifle, I've seen custom rigs that can't manage that with otc ammo.

I think this has more to do with improved barrel manufacturing process on Ruger's part, and the innovative method of locking the action to the stock.

At this point in time, I would have a lot more faith in Ruger QC than what is coming out of the Rem factory these days, but there is no upgrade path to these, and frankly I don't know why anyone would bother to invest money to customize one of these anyway.

For a $350 street price, it's a throw-away when it's shot out.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a $350 street price, it's a throw-away when it's shot out.</div></div>

Do you say that because of some design feature that would prevent re-barreling it?

I'm not much of a customizer with my hunting tools, but I do shoot a lot and would like to be able to keep the weapon past the first barrel. Then again, I'm using 308 for this one so maybe it's a moot point.

No, I wasn't referring to the design aspects, just purely economic considerations.

I am saying that it's so inexpensive that once it's shot out, the owner likely got his money's worth, and as re-barreling would cost around 5-600, the economics wouldn't logically favor going that route.

But then again, some folks have thrown more money at less likely candidates.

In the end it's only money, and personal choices...there are no right or wrong decisions either way.

These rifles are new, so no one has had the opportunity to fully evaluate their potential over time, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one now as a toss-it-in-the-back-of-the-truck rugged ranch gun; or for that price, maybe a couple or two for backup.

But as a future basis for a custom rifle, I would have other actions in mind. Win, Weatherby, Rem, Savage...in that order.

TC

Great input Top Cat, much appreciated. Since a custom rig isn't the intent here, I think I'll give the American a go. If I don't like the feel, it'll sit as a spare.

Maybe I'll pick up a Tikka T3 too;)

Maybe it'll turn out to be like the Remington 788 was. 788's would shoot as good or better than the M700's for less than half the price. Give us a range report!

The reports I've read have all been more than favorable.

Minute groups (or less) with a wide variety of non-match factory ammo.

Impressive for a rifle at this price point.

I'm kind of interested to hear how long of a round the magazines will take on both the long action and the short action. I could be tempted by one in a creedmoor if they ever decide to make one. As mentioned above it might be a handy cheap rifle to leave in the truck.

Bb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or just pick up one M70 and get a real recoil lug as part of the deal...:)

TC </div></div>

What do you mean? Can you explain the difference in design to me?

If all I wanted was a hunter/truck type gun I'd jump at this rifle. Since I am already stocked up on hunters, I can let this offering pass without remorse.

If I really wanted to improve on it for my own personal purposes, I'd like another two more inches of barrel (but I always want that no matter what) and another two to three more inches of LOP (Same paranthetical comment).

Ruger? It's always been a <span style="font-style: italic">good</span> word in my vocabulary.

Long range sport shooting doesn't leave me with a clear picture. If you're seeking a rifle which will deliver semi-match type accuracy over a sustained curse of fire; I doubt any of these 'hunter specials' types are going to please. That kind of performance probably can't be obtained at such a price. IMHO, these guns tend to 'open up' their POI's after about 5 rounds of sustained fire.

Personally, I think they can be improved upon somewhat with bedding, maybe a barrel channel pressure point, and good ammo selection; but expenditures and efforts beyond that are probably not cost effective, and really take away from these rifles' actual strengths.

Cartridge length questons would be answered, for me, by sticking with commercial hunting ammo. I have a personal aversion to handloading hunting ammo.

Greg

Another cheap rifle with lots of plastic that makes me shake my head wondering what happened to true craftsmanship in rifle building. Mass produced quality that just makes me sick.

Do the actions screws still go through the stock on an angle?
The old wood stock Rugers were a real PIA to bed...

This model has aluminum V-shaped bedding blocks at the action screw locations...
No receiver bedding needed (and due to the design, you couldn't do it if you wanted).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30378</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another cheap rifle with lots of plastic that makes me shake my head wondering what happened to true craftsmanship in rifle building. Mass produced quality that just makes me sick. </div></div>

I sympathize with your sentiment here, I'm usually the type to spend a bit more time and money to find true craftsmanship in my things. If you ever want a hand crafted bicycle let me know; I make them by hand, silver brazed and with good steel;)

However, for this weapon I'm more interested in utility. I want meat in the fridge and I don't want to spend a ton putting it there. It seems like this little ruger may just fit the bill. And it meets a critical criteria for me: made in the USA.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll give the rifle a whirl once my dealer has one in stock.