• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger m77 mark II 308

Ghillie man

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2009
pittsburgh pa
just picked one up it was to cheap to pass. is it worth throwing some good glass on it and using it at long rang or just use it for chasing white tale or ground hogs. thanks

Re: Ruger m77 mark II 308

I think just about any rifle is worth putting as good of glass on it as you can afford.

Try it out and see how it shoots and then you can go from there. If it is up to your desires than leave it as is and if it's not you can change parts or the entire rifle platform to a more satisfactory system and keep it for chasing deer or hogs. If you get scope that isn't what you want for hunting you could always move it to a different rifle and use it on that one in the future too.

Ruger's are great hunting rifles but not an popular action used for target grade work. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons for that including the cast receiver, the lack of aftermarket and the angular screw securing the rifle to a stock. None of which mean that it wont potetially work for what you want to do. and you won't know forsure unless you get out and shoot it.

Good Luck with it.
JMC

You might run into problems finding a 20min base if you need one. I ended up using the Burris Ruger-to-Weaver adapters and Burris signature rings with offset inserts.

A friend of mine has one that shoots very well, I have a handful myself in various cals and I guess I got lucky as they all shoot fairly well.

It's definitely a good one for chasing whitetails, groundhogs, & whatever else. I have a standard M77 Mk2 & a M77 Mk2 Target/Varmint model and they both shoot excellent. My brother has one in stainless w/ the composite stock. He likes it too. Get the best glass you can afford without going overboard and you will be good to go.

Although both had to be converted to mortgage payments when things got a bit tighter a few years back; I had a pair of M77VT MKII's. They were chambered in .308 and .22-250. I thought they were outstandingly accurate, and am only middlin' willing to forgive myself for parting with them.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might run into problems finding a 20min base if you need one. I ended up using the Burris Ruger-to-Weaver adapters and Burris signature rings with offset inserts. </div></div>

I'm in the same situation as far as needing an elevated base or ring combination. How have the Burris base and rings held up for you thus far? I can't find any other options for my M77 6.5 Creedmoor...

Great gun. I had one in a .223 - the target version though with the fat fore end. Those sell for $500+ so put a $500 scope on it and be done.

I had a gunsmith make me a rail and it opened up the optics world. My M77 hawkeye in 308 is a good shooter. .5 MOA rifle and ditching the crap Hogue stock, added a BC Carbalite with a full bed job make things even better. From what I hear its hit or miss with Ruger chambers/barrels, see how it goes with some match ammo. The optics mounting options are limited unless you just cough for a custom rail. Thats what I found anyway.