• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger MKIII, Baffled!

Jackalope33B

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Sunny Florida
I have a MKIII that is new with about 300 rounds down the pipe. I also have a YHM Mite. I WAS using CCI Quiets with the Can attached yesterday and had not one single problem with the pistol cycling (extracting the casings). Yesterday, I cleaned my MKIII, and put it back together properly and lubed her up. Today I go to fire it with the can on and it wont extract the empty shell. Took the can off and same issue. I fired some full power rounds with and without the can, no issues at all with the cases extracting. What am I missing here? Does the spring get stronger with more use lol??

Re: Ruger MKIII, Baffled!

Could simply be the extractor take a look at it and make sure its not damaged. The chamber indicator can also be a problem because it puts tension on the case. I remove both the chamber indicator and the magazine safety cut off. I also replace the extractors with Volquartson exact edge edge extractors.

The extractor looks good no issues there. I see how the chamber indicator puts pressure on the brass. why would that be a problem now and not yesterday?

just did it. same ole crap!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Run a bore snake down bore a few times.

Maybe whatever you use to lube got in the chamber and is making the wax cause a tighter than normal chamber. </div></div>

I have a newer MKIII that never cycled CCI quiet. I'm shocked that you even had it cycle! I hope you figure it out and share here.

I ran two clips through my 22/45 without issue (supressed).Then reloaded the mags and only 3 or 4 ejected per mag? I'm baffled as well

Mine will not function with the CCI Quiet. As for the extractor, being a blow back weapon, it should function without the extractor.
DSC00662.jpg

It will function without the extractor......as a single shot that saves brass in the chamber for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will function without the extractor......as a single shot that saves brass in the chamber for you. </div></div>

The extractor is there for extracting LIVE rounds... not FIRED rounds. It is a blow back action... after ignition the forces of the explosion kick back the bolt and the empty casing hits the ejector... Small tip barrel rimfire Berettas do not even have a extractor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine will not function with the CCI Quiet. As for the extractor, being a blow back weapon, it should function without the extractor.
DSC00662.jpg
</div></div>

That's a sweet looking MKIII! Did you get those grips through VZ Grips?

Ahhh Chard.....got it. So is stovepiping timing or what? A new extractor has fixed my stovepiping problem with a Mark II and Mark II in the past. I can see the gun firing and blowing out the spent case with just blowback but how is the spent round supposed to get thrown out without an extractor? Wouldn't it just come straight back and jam your gun?

Jackalope...also found this that may be helpful for stovepiping: http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/stovepipe.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahhh Chard.....got it. So is stovepiping timing or what? A new extractor has fixed my stovepiping problem with a Mark II and Mark II in the past. I can see the gun firing and blowing out the spent case with just blowback but how is the spent round supposed to get thrown out without an extractor? Wouldn't it just come straight back and jam your gun?

Jackalope...also found this that may be helpful for stovepiping: http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/stovepipe.htm </div></div>

Ejector stikes the lower left portion of the case when the bolt is fully retracted.

The only Ruger rimfires that I upgrade the extractor is the ones with match chambers. None of these have them.
DSC00221.jpg

DSC00264.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tstevens</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine will not function with the CCI Quiet. As for the extractor, being a blow back weapon, it should function without the extractor.
DSC00662.jpg
</div></div>

That's a sweet looking MKIII! Did you get those grips through VZ Grips? </div></div>

VZ black Desert Sand - got them for Father's Day 2012.

Chard why change the extractor on match chamber guns (only)? If the extractor only for the unfired round and you said the gun is supposed to function without an extractor what differnce would chamber make in your decision? Just curious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chard why change the extractor on match chamber guns (only)? If the extractor only for the unfired round and you said the gun is supposed to function without an extractor what differnce would chamber make in your decision? Just curious. </div></div>

When a round is chambered on a match chambered weapon, the chamber is tighter and the bullet on certain barrels are engraved by the rifling. If you decide to extract a loaded round, the factory extractor will often slip off the rim of the case. The aftermarket extractors are less likely to do so. Green Mountain barrels states on the side "Warning: Unfired rounds may not always eject." You should visually check the chamber when unloading as a round may slip the extractor and stay chambered.

So now is there any way I can modify my Ruger to successfully cycle cci quiet? The op states his factory Ruger does and I can't get mine too.

Just got my wife a Ruger MKIII Standard for her birthday and put a Pac-Lite upper on it. Went to a sporting goods store and purchased several types of ammo to see what round the gun shoots best. She called me this morning, while I was working, and said that her gun would not shoot the CCI Quiets, but that it shot the Remington Subsonics just fine. After trying to decipher what she was telling me the gun was doing, I think I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't cycle or extract the Quiets. Seems to be a common problem. Just letting you know.

ANDY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: evilcoon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious as to how the OP had successfully cycled CCI and our MK's won't. </div></div>

As evidenced by the very existence of this thread...the OP in fact COULD NOT successfully cycle CCI...at least not for very long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I WAS using CCI Quiets with the Can attached yesterday and had not one single problem with the pistol cycling (extracting the casings). Yesterday.</div></div>

Please explain where I misread that he was unsuccessful at cycling CCI quiet?