• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger no. 1

Deets

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2020
New deer hunting rules in Illinois are going to allow the use of straight walled cartridges this year. Catch is that it needs to be a single shot rifle. Planned on going with the 45-70 since I have dies and a lot of ammo already.
Which brings me to my search for a Ruger no. 1 K1-S-BBZ. Which is a stainless 45-70 with a black/grey laminate stock. Can’t seem to locate one anywhere. Figured this would be the best place to ask.

Winchester has made their newer runs of the 1885 in 45-70, there are also the reproductions like uberti, Cimmaron, etc. of 1885s, rolling blocks, sharps etc., but those may need to see a smith to mount a scope.

Just trying to throw out some other options you may not be aware of or thought of.

Ruger No. 1s have been hard to come by since ruger started limited production. Gunbroker usually has some though prices tend to be higher.

Last edited:
Just Information to consider, IDNR states that the “single shot” requirement necessitates that the rifle only be capable of holding a single round in chamber and magazine/tube. They clarify that the law does not necessitate a purpose built single shot. A bolt action equipped with a removable box magazine with no magazine in your possession while you’re hunting would meet the criteria. If you can plug/block the magazine tube on a lever action, that would also work.

I’m assuming you already own a rifle in .45-70, so if you can figure a way to “single shot” it, that’s a cheaper/easier route.

Obviously I’m not trying to discourage you. Personally, I don’t own any straight wall cartridge rifles, so I’m planning to build either an 18” .460. Rem (allowing me to shoot .454 Casull and .45LC as my kids start hunting) or .450 Bushmaster on a T/C Encore receiver. Still can’t finalize caliber, and need to track down a donor Encore receiver.

Good luck in this final rifle-less firearm season!

Reactions: Deets
Build a 700 remington and install a single shot follower https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015300323 We upgraded here in lower Mi shotgun zone to straightwall cartridges and its been great . Not as nice as using any rifle cartridge but way better than shotguns .
20190802_204850.jpg

New deer hunting rules in Illinois are going to allow the use of straight walled cartridges this year. Catch is that it needs to be a single shot rifle. Planned on going with the 45-70 since I have dies and a lot of ammo already.
Which brings me to my search for a Ruger no. 1 K1-S-BBZ. Which is a stainless 45-70 with a black/grey laminate stock. Can’t seem to locate one anywhere. Figured this would be the best place to ask.
Gunbroker has a No. 1 in 45/70 with 6 days left on the auction. Item number 954280137

Not sure it checks all your boxes though.

Just Information to consider, IDNR states that the “single shot” requirement necessitates that the rifle only be capable of holding a single round in chamber and magazine/tube. They clarify that the law does not necessitate a purpose built single shot. A bolt action equipped with a removable box magazine with no magazine in your possession while you’re hunting would meet the criteria. If you can plug/block the magazine tube on a lever action, that would also work.

I’m assuming you already own a rifle in .45-70, so if you can figure a way to “single shot” it, that’s a cheaper/easier route.

Obviously I’m not trying to discourage you. Personally, I don’t own any straight wall cartridge rifles, so I’m planning to build either an 18” .460. Rem (allowing me to shoot .454 Casull and .45LC as my kids start hunting) or .450 Bushmaster on a T/C Encore receiver. Still can’t finalize caliber, and need to track down a donor Encore receiver.

Good luck in this final rifle-less firearm season!
Yeah I read through the rules. It would be easy to do a 450 bushmaster in an AR platform with a sled.
Kinda partial to the 45-70 though. I do not currently have a rifle, just a magnum research pistol chambered in 45-70.
Marlin makes a nice lever action, but they are a small framed gun and typically 18” barrel.
Then CVA Scout caught my eye, which is a break action with a 25” barrel. They offer them in stainless with a composite stock for a little over $400. But not in stock anywhere. In my search for a CVA I found some older auctions of the Ruger no. 1. I really like the hammerless design with the falling block. And the grey laminate stock with a stainless action and barrel makes for a beautiful rifle.

Gunbroker has a No. 1 in 45/70 with 6 days left on the auction. Item number 954280137

Not sure it checks all your boxes though.
Wow thanks, I searched there a couple times and came up with nothing. Barrel is a little shorter than I wanted, but it will definitely work.

Wow thanks, I searched there a couple times and came up with nothing. Barrel is a little shorter than I wanted, but it will definitely work.
There’s another auction with a 22” barrel but it’s $2300. Item 947447692

There’s another auction with a 22” barrel but it’s $2300. Item 947447692
That one is Definitely a nice rifle. I’ll see how the first auction goes. If I can get that one for 1K less I surely will. Thanks again.

I think I have one of these. I bought it a while ago (almost 20 years) and had it rebarreled into a 45-100 to work on load developments for a double rifle I was designing. The idea was to get 458wm ballistics with a longer rimed case, sort of slotted between the 458wm and 458 Lott. I kept the original barrel profile so it was a light gun. Shooting 500gr loads at 2150fps was fun.

Did some reading on the Ruger 1. The saami max pressure was designated at 28,000 psi for a 45-70. Barnes took loads successfully out to 55,000 psi with no issues in the Ruger 1.

Ruger # 1 in 45/70 can handle near 458 WM loads. I had one years ago and it was fed a steady diet of Buffalo Bore ammo and some higher pressure loads. I believe Hodgdon powders still publishes Ruger # 1 45/70 load data.

Reactions: Hondo1 and Deets
Getting back to the CVA. For the money they cost, they are hard to beat. We have one in .35 Whelen (it meets the Mississippi/Louisiana definition of primitive) and it is accurate and reliable. A real game getter.

So, if you give up on the Ruger #1, try to find a CVA, at least as a stop gap.

One other option. Might want to see if you can find a TC Encore Rifle.

Reactions: hseII
Getting back to the CVA. For the money they cost, they are hard to beat. We have one in .35 Whelen (it meets the Mississippi/Louisiana definition of primitive) and it is accurate and reliable. A real game getter.

So, if you give up on the Ruger #1, try to find a CVA, at least as a stop gap.

One other option. Might want to see if you can find a TC Encore Rifle.
I found one place online, out of about 20. That had the stainless CVA in stock. Couldn’t hardly understand anything the guy was saying, except that he wanted payment by Walmart gift cards. And he was cheaper than any other listed price I had seen.
I passed

I found one place online, out of about 20. That had the stainless CVA in stock. Couldn’t hardly understand anything the guy was saying, except that he wanted payment by Walmart gift cards. And he was cheaper than any other listed price I had seen.
I passed
Agree, if payment or stocking does not seem right, fall back on the old saying, “if its seems to good to be true, it probably is”

Of the 2 listed on Gun Broker, one claims to have a 20” barrel which I have not seen before. Usually they are 22”. Would there be much difference in velocity with 2” less barrel length?

Of the 2 listed on Gun Broker, one claims to have a 20” barrel which I have not seen before. Usually they are 22”. Would there be much difference in velocity with 2” less barrel length?
25 to 35 fps per inch. Give or take.

Looks like guns.com might have the CVA in stock. Doesn’t Henry also make a single shot break action 45-70 now.

If you don't find one in the caliber you want the No1's are pretty simple to rebarrel . Customers that buy the factory 450bm want them rebarreled with longer barrels and in the standard 16 twist.

20201108_154842.jpg
20201108_154814.jpg
20211112_205322.jpg
20211112_205343.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I read through the rules. It would be easy to do a 450 bushmaster in an AR platform with a sled.
Kinda partial to the 45-70 though. I do not currently have a rifle, just a magnum research pistol chambered in 45-70.
Marlin makes a nice lever action, but they are a small framed gun and typically 18” barrel.
Then CVA Scout caught my eye, which is a break action with a 25” barrel. They offer them in stainless with a composite stock for a little over $400. But not in stock anywhere. In my search for a CVA I found some older auctions of the Ruger no. 1. I really like the hammerless design with the falling block. And the grey laminate stock with a stainless action and barrel makes for a beautiful rifle.

Did you look look at the Henry single shots. They look nice.

Did you look look at the Henry single shots. They look nice.
Hammer sticks up a ways, not much clearance between the hammer and a scope with gloves on. Unless you get the extra tall rings.

Reactions: Digetydog
Hammer sticks up a ways, not much clearance between the hammer and a scope with gloves on. Unless you get the extra tall rings.
I have a horizontal hammer extension on my TC Contender to clear the optics, and IIRC they were made by Michael’s of Oregon (Uncle Mikes) and available for other firearms.

I have a horizontal hammer extension on my TC Contender to clear the optics, and IIRC they were made by Michael’s of Oregon (Uncle Mikes) and available for other firearms.
I have seen those, CVA comes stock with it. The new TC’s have an adjustable hammer that looks pretty nice too.

The Henry hammer does stick up higher than the other two though.

What’s your take on the optic base and rings?
It seems to work well but limits the shooter to whatever scope fits the supplied rings . You don't get much forward and back movement at all. Considered tapping for a weaver base on the barrel but that factory base polished up so nice and looks good.

I’m not doubting that they make a good rifle.

I have both a Ruger No.1 and the Winchester 1885 and the Winchester is the nicer rifle. Fit and finish, the feel of the action quaility of the wood and blueing is all nicer on the modern 1885. Not leaps and bounds better but the 1885 is a fine rifle. I certainly like Ruger No.1 and wouldn't sell mine/would buy more, and I'm not trying to dissuade you from the Ruger No.1 My 1885 is chambered in 300wm and the way the hammer is I have no trouble getting to it under the scope even with low leupold rings though ymmv.

It seems to work well but limits the shooter to whatever scope fits the supplied rings . You don't get much forward and back movement at all. Considered tapping for a weaver base on the barrel but that factory base polished up so nice and looks good.
I’m going to see how an NXS does on there.

Owner have a lot of No1 in stock

I have both a Ruger No.1 and the Winchester 1885 and the Winchester is the nicer rifle. Fit and finish, the feel of the action quaility of the wood and blueing is all nicer on the modern 1885. Not leaps and bounds better but the 1885 is a fine rifle. I certainly like Ruger No.1 and wouldn't sell mine/would buy more, and I'm not trying to dissuade you from the Ruger No.1 My 1885 is chambered in 300wm and the way the hammer is I have no trouble getting to it under the scope even with low leupold rings though ymmv.
The hammers on those are definitely much lower.

From what I see that hasn’t been updated for 5-6 years. I could give him a call though.

He is a good dude, not exactly what I’m looking for. But if some other leads fall through, he has some blued 45-70’s

He is a good dude, not exactly what I’m looking for. But if some other leads fall through, he has some blued 45-70’s
Cdnn had a bunch of the 450 bushmasters in stainless I would watch them, they seem to have lots of rugers

I’ve been waiting for a deal on a used 45-70 to pop up too. Always wanted a suppressed no.1. I only have one right now and I think most collectors would frown on sending it off to get threaded

CF77633F-354A-4A25-AED6-312726E902AF.jpeg

Reactions: 29aholic
That’s because there’s a big difference between collectors and shooters.

Wish I could own a suppressor, Illinois will never allow them though

@shlouf

A. It’s your rifle do what you want.
B. Never sell it and it doesn’t matter.

Plus if tastefully done it can look incredible check out post #18 in this thread

@shlouf

A. It’s your rifle do what you want.
B. Never sell it and it doesn’t matter.

Plus if tastefully done it can look incredible check out post #18 in this thread

It gets to me sometimes disassembling some really nice factory rifles but making into something nicer makes it alright .@Deets check out that scope base on this Ruger .
IMG_20191005_131149.jpg

Wonder if that base is a one off custom, or if they can be had?

Looks like it’s an EGW base

Reactions: Deets and Easy_E
Well, ended purchasing a 45-70 in stainless/ laminate from a private owner. Supposedly only a few boxes through it. When it comes in I’ll put a few pics up.

Hope yours shoots as well as my blued/wood version of the same.

Stuff that headspaces on the rim ain’t supposed to shoot that good. Of course, if your headspacing on the bullet, the game changes a bit.

Be aware, the trade off is it has zero throat, but I’ve found a few different ways to make different projectiles work.

Reactions: hseII and Deets