• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger PR & Patriot valley prefit 308

Macmathews

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2011
Ontario . Canada
Anybody running one of PVAs prefit barrels i see they aemre a 1-9tw and am only familiar with a 1-10 or even 1-11,25
You think a 24" 1-9 can work with say 175 SMK ?
Bare with me and my lack of knowledge on this

It’ll be perfectly fine. A 308 isn’t going to over rev anything, especially since it’s long range oriented.

I actually talked to josh over at PVA about the whole 9tw thing before I order one and will run everything from 135smk to 220 Round nose with out batting an eye. He also mentioned that it benefits the long bullets and guys running the subsonic stuff. My plan is going to be running either 168 or 178 eld-m and they should work like a champ with the twist rate

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, my next step was to call them , but it seems to shoot 178 amax OK at 100 is as far as I've gotten.. my issue with 178 ELDM is that the throat is so short im getting compressed loads at around 43 grains of IMR4064 and lapua brass. I'm used to the remingtons where the Freebore is VERY long.

41 grains 4064 , 178 amax 100 yards ..
I can't just feed it what I want like my 7005R

Attachments

• 20210130_213730.jpg
    20210130_213730.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 13
That’s because you’re using eldms. Use something that’ll seat shorter and you won’t notice that.
Nothing wrong with the barrel/twist.

I understand that and have a bunch of 175smk that will do the job hopefully.
I never thought anything was wrong, just surprised since alot of 308 barrels have a much different twist rate

Ehh, 9 isn’t that much different than a “standard” 10. The old 12or 14 twists were for times 40 years ago when a 180 gr bullet was super heavy. Now it’s the baseline. Your 175s Sierra is a forgiving bullet, you’ll find something that shoots well with it guaranteed.

Reactions: Macmathews
BTW - this all came to light because I bought a kestrel sportsman and it asks for that data , I had to look into the barrel that had about 50 rounds down it to find out what twist it was and was surprised since my 5R is a 1-11.25 and shoots better than I can.