• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ruger precision rifle barrel install: grease or anti-seize?

Slick66

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2008
Cumming, Georgia, USA
Hi,
Getting ready to swap out my RPR barrel. I have built quite a few AR uppers, and have always used Aeroshell grease on the barrel nut/receiver threads, as I believe the USMC armorer's manual calls for. In studying some videos/posts about the RPR barrel install, I've seen some people use anti-seize on the threads.

What should I use? I would assume anti-seize on the barrel threads and maybe grease on the barrel nut? Also, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, but is there any difference between aluminum and copper anti-seize, for gunsmithing use?

Thanks

Hi,
Getting ready to swap out my RPR barrel. I have built quite a few AR uppers, and have always used Aeroshell grease on the barrel nut/receiver threads, as I believe the USMC armorer's manual calls for. In studying some videos/posts about the RPR barrel install, I've seen some people use anti-seize on the threads.

What should I use? I would assume anti-seize on the barrel threads and maybe grease on the barrel nut? Also, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, but is there any difference between aluminum and copper anti-seize, for gunsmithing use?

Thanks
I would be careful using anti seize. It affects your torque spec.

Hi,

Thanks
I’m in the middle of a move and packed all my shit up or is show what I use. But short story long I use anti seize that comes on a stick and just put a little on the threads and do my thing. Torque it around 65ft lbs.

I used anti seize and then torqued to 65ft lbs.

One word or warning taking off the original, it may be on with what feels like 200ft lbs, so watch your fingers if you have a RCBS press right next to where you put your barrel vice.... some idiot typing this sort of banged up some fingers....🤦‍♂️

I would be careful using anti seize. It affects your torque spec.
Clarification: it increases the preload from a given torque and makes it more consistent, but rifle barrel threads have enough safety factor baked in that 100ft-lbs is fine regardless of whether threads are lubed.

@Slick66 Don’t bother with grease, stick with anti-seize. Just run some over the first 3 barrel threads. Separately, nickel-based antiseize is best for firearm use, unless you’re using it by the pail and counting pennies. It handles the worst-case temperatures just fine, and doesn’t accelerate corrosion, cracking, or galling with any materials commonly used in firearms.