• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Caliber Change? Anything tricky?

MDof2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2020
Magatopia
RPR Gen 3. Would be going from 65CM to 223 Is there anything exotic about a caliber change on this? Anything more than a prefit barrel swap and a bolt face change to accommodate the smaller cartridge head?

Anything tricky in this scenario or as straightforward as a remage flavor rifle?

Appreciate any input from the Hide community.

That changes everything......
So kills my plan/idea of picking up an RPR on the cheap, barreling it down to 223 as a trainer for my son, then bring him back up to 65cm later....

Hmmm....

Could just do a .22 cal with a .473” bolt face in the RPR and avoid the expense of an additional bolt and magazines in another platform. Unless you were intending to purchase factory ammo over reloading.

Reactions: dinc
Get a 6mm something (x/c, gt, -250, or even Creedmoor) and shoot 55 gr slugs. A bit more recoil from powder charge but with brake or suppressor, hardly noticeable. It's a handloading proposition compare to 223 but your son will learn to reload. Or just load down the 6.5. Good luck and good shooting!!!

Reactions: MDof2
Can't you just get a Savage? Can re-barrel that in 20 minutes in your granpappy's shed drinkin' Schlitz and smokin' Reds.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
Easy solution...22 creedmoor, assuming you reload. Same powder, same brass, same go/no-go guages, same everything just different bullets

Last edited:
Yes, I do reload. Hadn't considered the 22CM route either.
*edit* Too fast for NRL/PRS

Last edited:
22 creed is amazing. It’s just only gonna last 1k rounds.

But at 500 today my 6.5 was holding half a mil of wind, the 22 creed was so much less I was just holding straight up and still hitting the plate. So much less recoil too. But she gets hot... fast.

Could just do a .22 cal with a .473” bolt face in the RPR and avoid the expense of an additional bolt and magazines in another platform. Unless you were intending to purchase factory ammo over reloading.
I reload, and have no issues working up loads. (forgive my ignorance) What are some .22 cal with a .472 bolt face options that would be recoil/trainer friendly for a 15 year old that you'd consider?

He's been behind a 223 a fair bit , and is comfortable with that. Which is what brought me to the original idea of re-barreling the RPR down for a year or two to let him grind on and get some more bench and match experience. 22 Creed runs a bit fast and would not be an option for both NRL/PRS at their 3200fps limit.

Again, I'm thinking recoil friendly. And barrel / throat easy as well.

22BR or 22 Dasher might be the easiest on barrels but truly none of the .473” bolt face 22cals are really that barrel friendly. I’d think you could get 1500 or so from them in a match barrel.

The alternative would be a 6mm or reduced 6.5 creedmoor loads with a good brake, like one from PVA and keep the blast away from him.

22BR or 22 Dasher might be the easiest on barrels but truly none of the .473” bolt face 22cals are really that barrel friendly. I’d think you could get 1500 or so from them in a match barrel.

The alternative would be a 6mm or reduced 6.5 creedmoor loads with a good brake.
Appreciate the input Bandit.
Digging through some books / googlefu in the meantime as well and came across those.
Like you said, none very barrel friendly for longevity comparatively to the 223 rem or something.

I may just go back to the Remage path after all and not put myself through the brain damage. $1500 bucks I can get him on a pretty sold platform with a plethora of rebarrel options later.

I reload, and have no issues working up loads. (forgive my ignorance) What are some .22 cal with a .472 bolt face options that would be recoil/trainer friendly for a 15 year old that you'd consider?

He's been behind a 223 a fair bit , and is comfortable with that. Which is what brought me to the original idea of re-barreling the RPR down for a year or two to let him grind on and get some more bench and match experience. 22 Creed runs a bit fast and would not be an option for both NRL/PRS at their 3200fps limit.

Again, I'm thinking recoil friendly. And barrel / throat easy as well.
Bump him up to a 6br.
The first time I ever saw a br was for an itty bitty 8 year old girls 6lb deer rifle. She tore it up. The dads all loved it just as much. The br has held a special place in my heart since.

What I’ve seen those little bitty br cases do with a 105/115 at distance is great. I don’t have one now, two dashers which is basically the same, but it’s the IDEAL chambering for a kid that will also last seemingly forever.

If the $1500 budget is just for the gun, why not build up something like a Bighorn Origin and start where you think you’d want to without the headache?

If the $1500 budget is just for the gun, why not build up something like a Bighorn Origin and start where you think you’d want to without the headache?
1500 wasn't specifically a set budget, I just know I can build a solid no frills remage for about 1500 in parts minus an optic. Add a few for some smith work to straighten the action / barrel (if) as needed.

700 action
Criterion barrel
Triggertech Trigger
Bravo chassis
MDT / AI Mags
20 or 30 minute rail

Very good point. Adds 400 to the build. Money well spent down the road. #hattip

It will add more but will retain it. They do pop up on occasion here but sell fast.

Just order with the bolt face you’d like to start with and go from there.

There’s a plethora of barrel options for the Bighorns as well. If looking for a low cost pre-fit, I’ve been happy with my X calibers. They’re one sale quite frequently. I have several and have been pleased.

Last edited:
I was figuring a Criterion at about 400 or so but I'll check out the X Caliber as well.

Thanks and much appreciated Bandit (and others) for the input.
I'll keep digging and reading up some more. I believe this gets me pointed in a better direction long term than what I was originally thinking with an RPR caliber change and barrel swap.

Strange / weird that Ruger doesn't sell bolts. Whatever the reason. Not my house, not my rules.

Cheers-

*edit* Too fast for NRL/PRS
Too fast when you load it to the bleeding edge. Why not down load it to 3000 fps or lower? Just because everyone is running it to the max doesn't mean you have to...down loading will also significantly extend the barrel life as you're not reaching peak chamber pressure over and over again.

Last edited:
Yep. There's that option too. There's certainly a lower velocity node somewhere.
I'm kind of back to the drawing board in my head thinking maybe I put a break on the 65cm it has now, or put a 6mm/.243 barrel on it and have him tough it out. Same bolt face. A few options.

How about going from PRP 65CM to .308, is the bolt face different?

6gt. Load it light and medium velocity.

Think 107s at 2800. Or 90s at 2900. Should have barrel life around 2500 rounds. Low recoil. Downloaded just a bit.

Last edited:
That changes everything......
So kills my plan/idea of picking up an RPR on the cheap, barreling it down to 223 as a trainer for my son, then bring him back up to 65cm later....

Hmmm....
What caliber do you currently have? I have a .223 that I’m trying to convert to a .308. Would be more than will to swap bolt and barrel

Well since this thread has been brought back to life I will ask a question. Isn’t the Ruger American the same bolt? I have seen those for sale on EBay etc.