• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

One of the cam arms on the cocking piece of my RPR broke during a class last weekend.

Is the AD Arms replacement the go to part or is there another brand that is better?
AD Arms is good to go and a lot stronger than stock piece.

Reactions: Omni
One of the cam arms on the cocking piece of my RPR broke during a class last weekend.

Is the AD Arms replacement the go to part or is there another brand that is better?
I put one in my RPR a few years back. I have not shot it since I put it in but I can tell you it fit just like the factory part.

Not sure what this is called, but the small piece that pulls the spent shell from the chamber on my .308RPR broke. I had fired 10 rounds of factory ammo and the 11th round was one that I had reloaded. When I tried to close the bolt I noticed some resistance but it did go in and fired, but that was the last round that would load. Did I break it with the reloaded round?

Not sure what this is called, but the small piece that pulls the spent shell from the chamber on my .308RPR broke. I had fired 10 rounds of factory ammo and the 11th round was one that I had reloaded. When I tried to close the bolt I noticed some resistance but it did go in and fired, but that was the last round that would load. Did I break it with the reloaded round?
It's called an extractor.

No, it's not that it happened with a reloaded round. My .308 RPR's has over 10,000 rounds of reloads fired (a lot of that with pressures near the max) and everything on the bolt, include the extractor, is in good shape.

You should contact Ruger customer support and tell them what happed, that your extractor broke. More than likely, they're replace it for you. But, they'll probably ask you to send the whole rife in for them to do it. They'll first send you the packaging with a return label that you can package it and send it off at no costs to you.

No, it's not that it happened with a reloaded round. My .308 RPR's has over 10,000 rounds of reloads fired (a lot of that with pressures near the max) and everything on the bolt, include the extractor, is in good shape.

You should contact Ruger customer support and tell them what happed, that your extractor broke. More than likely, they're replace it for you. But, they'll probably ask you to send the whole rife in for them to do it. They'll first send you the packaging with a return label that you can package it and send it off at no costs to you.
Thanks for the reply. I already have it apart so I just need the extractor. I sent them an email so hopefully the will just send the part.

Reactions: straightshooter1
Thanks for the reply. I already have it apart so I just need the extractor. I sent them an email so hopefully the will just send the part.
I had an issues with the bolt on my newer RPR when I first got it and I also wanted just a firing pin spring for my older RPR and they said they wouldn't send parts having to do with the bolts, unless I was a certified gun smith,, and I had to send the whole gun to them. So, though you only need the extractor, more than likely you're going to have to send the whole gun in. If they've changed their protocol and willing to send you the extractor, lets us know.

I had an issues with the bolt on my newer RPR when I first got it and I also wanted just a firing pin spring for my older RPR and they said they wouldn't send parts having to do with the bolts, unless I was a certified gun smith,, and I had to send the whole gun to them. So, though you only need the extractor, more than likely you're going to have to send the whole gun in. If they've changed their protocol and willing to send you the extractor, lets us know.
Will do

Ruger is sending me the part, so at least I don't have to send in my rifle and no cost.

Reactions: straightshooter1
Twisted on my new barrel chambered by Urban Rifleman in TX. One of the cleanest barrels I've ever received. Well see how she shoots in a month or so....

20240302_160628.jpg

Reactions: Didodadday
I use a suppressor on my .308 RPR and the other day took it apart to clean. The suppressor has 2 sections; a long 7 inch section with 5 baffles and a shorter section with 2 baffles. Upon inspection I noticed the 2 baffles in the shorter section had been impacted by a round and the screw on cap at the end was deformed. The last few rounds that went through the barrel were rounds that I had reloaded, but I have no idea when the damage occurred. Anyone have any ideas about why this would happen? The suppressor was secure and not loose.

I use a suppressor on my .308 RPR and the other day took it apart to clean. The suppressor has 2 sections; a long 7 inch section with 5 baffles and a shorter section with 2 baffles. Upon inspection I noticed the 2 baffles in the shorter section had been impacted by a round and the screw on cap at the end was deformed. The last few rounds that went through the barrel were rounds that I had reloaded, but I have no idea when the damage occurred. Anyone have any ideas about why this would happen? The suppressor was secure and not loose.
These things come to my mind:
> Bad threading on the barrel/suppressor mounting threads
> Cross threading at the barrel/suppressor joint
> Cross threading between one or more suppressor section joints
> Suppressor got bumped hard and knocked out of line
> Defective bullet that shattered during firing or a bullet tip spun off.
Some o’ these seem far fetched, but the situation you have is kinda far fetched, too.
An easy check for any of the threading or misalignment problems is to measure the runout of the end of the suppressor as you screw it onto the barrel. Runout should be no more than a few thousandths of an inch. If it’s straight and solid when mounted, then a bad bullet may be the reason.

Last edited:
These things come to my mind:
> Bad threading on the barrel/suppressor mounting threads
> Cross threading at the barrel/suppressor joint
> Cross threading between one or more suppressor section joints
> Suppressor got bumped hard and knocked out of line
> Defective bullet that shattered during firing or a bullet tip spun off.
Some o’ these seem far fetched, but the situation you have is kinda far fetched, too.
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the threading and I don't remember hitting or jarring it. Sending it back for a warranty repair. Maybe they can figure something.

From day to day, the newest modification of this well used RPR.

Original

IMG_0838.jpeg

Next with Target Tool Butt Stock
IMG_1089.jpeg

Then with Cerekoted Fore End, did not match, looked terrible

IMG_0707.jpeg

Back to black Fore End, but finish would not stick to the Cerekote that lay under it.
IMG_0407.jpeg

Finally TODAY!

May favorite look by far

IMG_1343.jpeg

Just getting back into shooting, retired military, hunting for many many years. I have the RPR gen3, put an Arca rail with a Accu-Tac bipod, changed grip for a vertical grip and still waiting on my MDT Send-It level and my Griffin Bushwacker36 suppressor. I am hung up on scope options. I originally was dead set on the Burris Eliminator6, but have now started to rethink this and actually canceled my order. The ArKen EP5 does have my interest, mainly because of what I have read, and some online reviews all sound favorable. All that hype on the other hand has me apprehensive. Because of limitation on range options, I will probably rarely get any range time beyond 500yds.

Reactions: Larry Lambert
Just getting back into shooting, retired military, hunting for many many years. I have the RPR gen3, put an Arca rail with a Accu-Tac bipod, changed grip for a vertical grip and still waiting on my MDT Send-It level and my Griffin Bushwacker36 suppressor. I am hung up on scope options. I originally was dead set on the Burris Eliminator6, but have now started to rethink this and actually canceled my order. The ArKen EP5 does have my interest, mainly because of what I have read, and some online reviews all sound favorable. All that hype on the other hand has me apprehensive. Because of limitation on range options, I will probably rarely get any range time beyond 500yds.
Look into Tract Optics. They deal direct www.tractoptics.com

Just getting back into shooting, retired military, hunting for many many years. I have the RPR gen3, put an Arca rail with a Accu-Tac bipod, changed grip for a vertical grip and still waiting on my MDT Send-It level and my Griffin Bushwacker36 suppressor. I am hung up on scope options. I originally was dead set on the Burris Eliminator6, but have now started to rethink this and actually canceled my order. The ArKen EP5 does have my interest, mainly because of what I have read, and some online reviews all sound favorable. All that hype on the other hand has me apprehensive. Because of limitation on range options, I will probably rarely get any range time beyond

There’s no down side to owning an Arken, I’ve owned and own several high end scopes. I can honestly say Arken is way under priced. Is there much difference between my ep-5 and my gen 3 razor. No, however the glass is better on the gen 3, you’ll notice a difference late in the afternoon the razor may add 15 min to a hunt. 2nd tracking is on par with gen 3 razor. Value is like this if you decide you want to sale the Arken you’ll get $400 all day the money you loose selling a razor will buy an Arken haha. My honest opinion buy the Arken there’s not $2500 difference between the two optics.

• Haha
Reactions: Lazyfaire
There’s no down side to owning an Arken, I’ve owned and own several high end scopes. I can honestly say Arken is way under priced. Is there much difference between my ep-5 and my gen 3 razor. No, however the glass is better on the gen 3, you’ll notice a difference late in the afternoon the razor may add 15 min to a hunt. 2nd tracking is on par with gen 3 razor. Value is like this if you decide you want to sale the Arken you’ll get $400 all day the money you loose selling a razor will buy an Arken haha. My honest opinion buy the Arken there’s not $2500 difference between the two optics.
I got a really good deal on a Athlon Cronus G2, now the waiting

Leupold has some really good pricing for retired military with their VIP program

Here is my setup and 200 yard spring day!

Attachments

• IMG_3042[1].JPG
    IMG_3042[1].JPG
    652.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3032[1].JPG
    IMG_3032[1].JPG
    456.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3035[1].JPG
    IMG_3035[1].JPG
    872.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3038[1].JPG
    IMG_3038[1].JPG