• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

I noticed a dramatic difference after installing a Proof pre-fit. With the factory barrel, I was getting just under 1moa groups with handloads. Once I dropped in the Proof barrel, I started seeing sub-half moa. These barrels rock.

Pro tip: when removing the barrel nut, everyone tends to use a breaker bar with an armorer's wrench. In my case, I couldn't get the proper support/angle when applying pressure and it would slip off. I ended up using an impact wrench in the socket port of the armorer's wrench and the nut came off in literally two seconds.

Last edited:
I went Proof because one of my SWAT snipers has a couple personal rifles in 260 he uses. They were done by Spartan Rifles in San Jose, CA. They have Proof stainless barrels and they are just stupid accurate. I shot them a couple years ago and was blown away at how easy it was to put every round EXACTLY where I wanted to.

That is why I went with Proof... before they were cool LoL.
That's awesome. I'm excited for my new barrel, I'm definitely going to go with the proof. Thx again for the info

Reactions: clcustom1911
That's awesome. I'm excited for my new barrel, I'm definitely going to go with the proof. Thx again for the info

I'm gonna be doing additional load development shooting on Friday. Finalizing my loads for the 147 ELDm and Nosler 130 RDF. I'll post on here what the results are. I never like running near-max loads because I like my 6.5 barrels to last 3500+ rounds.

I've only had this particular barrel mounted for just over 2 months and already have over 400 rounds down the pipe. #pewpew

Powder charged and ready to seat my ELDm's.... But first.... Graveyard shift LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilotscrappy
Next question I'm going to need help with: What is the best bullet BC and cost wise out there for strictly practicing (no living targets) with the 6.5 Creedmoor?

I have heard a lot of good things about the 143 ELD-X for hunting.

Still up in the air about which barrel to get. Need to do some more reading.

Thanks for all the help.

Next question I'm going to need help with: What is the best bullet BC and cost wise out there for strictly practicing (no living targets) with the 6.5 Creedmoor?

I have heard a lot of good things about the 143 ELD-X for hunting.

Still up in the air about which barrel to get. Need to do some more reading.

Thanks for all the help.
What distance you planning on shooting?

If you're doing 300 and closer, I had really good shooting with S&B 131 grain ammo which are about 80 dents per round. It is right about 1 MOA at 100 and it's SD's are in the 20's which ain't bad for "budget" factory ammo.

For reloading and just practice....

123 grain Match Monster from MidSouth $0.24 a pop. G1 BC .515..... Oddly similar to a 123 grain MatchKing ;)

Last edited:
What distance you planning on shooting?

Probably 400 most of the time. There is a range that goes out to 2000 an hour away, so I'll also be heading there, but not as often.

I do want the bullet to be a top/near top of the line bullet. Kinda wondering what is the best BC bullet out there with no price cap and then what is an awesome bullet at an affordable price - the 147 ELD-M seems to fit that bill fairly well.

Will the 7.5 twist Kreiger be better suited for the 147 eldm than an 8 twist?

147 eld match I believe is the best bc or close to it. Bergers might be higher I've never tried them tho. I've always had excellent results with hornady 140 and 147 eld. Never bothered to try anything else

Probably 400 most of the time. There is a range that goes out to 2000 an hour away, so I'll also be heading there, but not as often.

I do want the bullet to be a top/near top of the line bullet. Kinda wondering what is the best BC bullet out there with no price cap and then what is an awesome bullet at an affordable price - the 147 ELD-M seems to fit that bill fairly well.

The 147 ELDM is going to me my bullet of choice. I have an 8 twist and getting sub 1/2 MOA groups.

Reactions: 10ring1
The 8 twist will stabilize the 147 just fine.
The faster twist 7.5 should stabilize the heavier bullets better, but I'm not sure if a shooter would even be able to discern the difference?

Flat line solids 6.5s will be the top of the top if you want the best of the best. Break out that wallet.

8 mils at 1250?!?!???? Holy fuckkk!

I can push a 147 up to 2900+ with Reloder 17. I wonder what that powder can do for this projectile...... (Mad chemist brain is scheming)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
Just purchased a Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoor Gen 3.
Have made a few up grades with Magpul PRS Gen3 FDE stock, Magpul MOE + FDE grip, Catalyst Arms RPR Mag Release Extension in FDE .
In addition I added Anarchy Outdoors Titanium Bolt Knob and one of their Titanium Ruger Precision Bolt Shroud w/tool.
The problem I’m having so far is getting the original Ruger handguard nut off to install a Seekins Precision SP3R handguard.
I painted the Seekins Precision in Brownells Aluma Hyde Magpul FDE.
Is an adjustment wrench ? in say 18” going to get that nut off.
I’ve already tried with a 10” wrench and did not have enough torx to get it off.
Does Ruger use any Loctite on that nut?
The original screws holding down the original hand guard were really lose and very easy to remove to get the original hand guard off! No Loctite on those at all.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I used a dead blow hammer to knock my barrel nut loose. Smacked that shit 2-3 times and PRESTO! Changed barrel, set headspace, used deadblow to re-tighten the nut. Done deal.

I
If any of you fellas have access to expertcity/expertvoice, they have proof barrels at a discount on there.
Good resource!! Thanks for posting!

EDIT because sometimes I get carried away and do dumb things.... Like post prices of shit I'm not supposed to.

Sorry.

Last edited:
^^ want!

Camera Land Helped with the shade and another scope, because, why buy just a shade...

Attachments

• 842A0A7A-60A9-4ED7-B5E4-D43CEF3AAB30.jpeg
    842A0A7A-60A9-4ED7-B5E4-D43CEF3AAB30.jpeg
    528.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 86CC6057-5752-4CB5-8B90-692EF0523036.jpeg
    86CC6057-5752-4CB5-8B90-692EF0523036.jpeg
    387.3 KB · Views: 170
I

Got mine for roughly that price. Good resource!! Thanks for posting! $***!!!!!

From the Guidelines for purchases:

• Purchases are for personal use only, you may not purchase items for friends and family
  • All products are built to order. Please allow 6 to 7 weeks for processing and delivery of your order. Orders will ship via UPS.
  • Applicable sales tax will be charged upon final billing
  • Please do not share your Expert Pricing

Might be a good idea to delete that screenshot and edit your post.

I don't know why folks have such a hard time with understanding the part about not sharing ExpertVoice pricing on public forums.

Regardless, it pisses off the vendors and they have been known to pull out of the program over it. EV may also cancel your account if they catch you disclosing prices on a public forum.

Last edited:
From the Guidelines for purchases:

Might be a good idea to delete that screenshot and edit your post.

I don't know why folks have such a hard time with understanding the part about not sharing ExpertVoice pricing on public forums.

Regardless, it pisses off the vendors and they have been known to pull out of the program over it. EV may also cancel your if they catch you disclosing prices on a public forum.

Edited to compensate for my stupidity.

Thanks for advising me to do so.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
What powders are best suited for the 147 eldm? RL17 & H4350? Any others? Temp stable?

^ Nice rifle! I went with FDE accessories as well. I just like it. Ruger doesn’t use any thread lock as far as I know. I actually put my receiver in the vice instead of the barrel. I used my smaller 24” breaker bar and it came right off no problem. Super easy. Set it back to 70 ft/lbs. But mine is a gen one when things were a little easier. It seems they torqued the living shit out of things ever since
I received a reply from Ruger Customer Service today, they said "The handguard nuts on both the short action and the magnum are torqued to 50 ft. lbs and they do not have loctite on them. If you cannot remove it please contact us at 336-949-5200 to have an RMA number issued for return and we will be happy to assit you"
What I'm currently trying to do to remove the handguard nut is heating it up and putting Kroil on it for a period of time-10 hrs-will repeat the process tonight one more time and tomorrow will use a 1 3/8" crowfoot wrench and breaker bar 18" to remove it. If that doesn't work then I call Ruger for the RMA number and go that route.

I received a reply from Ruger Customer Service today, they said "The handguard nuts on both the short action and the magnum are torqued to 50 ft. lbs and they do not have loctite on them. If you cannot remove it please contact us at 336-949-5200 to have an RMA number issued for return and we will be happy to assit you"
What I'm currently trying to do to remove the handguard nut is heating it up and putting Kroil on it for a period of time-10 hrs-will repeat the process tonight one more time and tomorrow will use a 1 3/8" crowfoot wrench and breaker bar 18" to remove it. If that doesn't work then I call Ruger for the RMA number and go that route.

Try a deadblow hammer. I found it takes that .00001 second of "impact" time versus the much slower application of torque to break the handguard and barrel nuts loose.

Shout out for Ruger Customer Service. Just realized Friday that I had a handguard screw missing/lost on my RPR. Contacted them through their website form with my Serial # and asked if they sold replacements, They responded Tuesday saying they are shipping me replacements no/charge. USPS tracking info was emailed to me yesterday :)

In Ruger CS reply:
"Please note these screws are torqued to 25" lbs."

Question:
I torqued everything down when I bought it. Now I will go through it all again, this time with Blue Loctite I guess? I have only used Loctite on scope bases in the past. Any tips on which RPR screws not to use it on?

For those of you who absolutely cannot get the barrel nut off or just don’t want to bother, I saw LRI now offers an RPR barrel swap service. I imagine they would do handguards too. Or you can ask your local shop if they can give it a try.

Just a quick up date to my problem getting my Ruger Precision hand guard nut off.
A retired Marine and retired police armorer from my department suggested heating up the nut and then applying Kroil and then letting it sit over night.
Just for good measures, I completed the task three times about every eight hours.
A ordered and was awaiting delivery from Home Depot internet two Crowfoot wrench heads in 1 3/8” for the Ruger Headguard nut and 1 1/8” for the Seekins Precision nut.
With both in hand, a 5 pound vise with jell pads, 24” breaker bar and the nut came smoothly off with no effort.
Mission accomplished and new Seekins Precision SP3R installed picture below.
Only item left to add will be a Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 with Vortex(Seekins) rings in 1.45”.

Attachments

• 858F4283-6083-4B1C-A1CE-77026AAE67A8.jpeg
    858F4283-6083-4B1C-A1CE-77026AAE67A8.jpeg
    446.8 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: DRAGON64
Geeese!!! Glad I didn't have that kind of problem when I swapped my barrel out for a Krieger.

Here's my full size and mini me RPR:

Today . . . my load confirmation result (.308 RPR) with 5 shot MOA of .283:

Last edited:
Question to anyone who would know.
Before I mount my scope on this new rifle, does anyone know what the torque setting is on the 20 MOA scope base on the Ruger Precision just in case the screws are lose?
Thanks in advance for your reply.