• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

I was certain it was for a better commission as he was hard selling pretty hard. No issue with that. Just doing a job. My thought was, after I left, "why didn't he sell me the RPR I came in looking for and asking about and begin a relationship where I would be buying all sorts of supplies and accessories over time up to and likely including a $4K rifle or more. Price was right on the RPR. I just needed a push. Face contorted as soon as I mentioned the RPR was what I was interested in. Yet, they have one in stock. I'm not spending $4K-$7K on a rifle that I may only ever get to shoot at distance once or twice. I need an entry level in order to get all 'my' ducks in order. Am I going to be able to find and use long distance ranges? How often will I be able to go? Will I even enjoy it? These are all questions I need to answer and at $1100 entry, I can answer some of those questions. At $4K, I'm a bit hesitant. No issue, I have a AR19 is .308 build that I'm gonna try out at longer distances and likely pick up an RPR when I find the right deal.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it and look forward to participating in this thread and forum and getting to know you fine folks.

AR10 pic.

38063652545_3f697279e9_o.jpg

38063653365_085119c3c6_o.jpg

38063652915_50b3796ec5_o.jpg

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4538\/38063652545_3f697279e9_o.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4544\/24084982117_ef3d6ea997_o.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I think cabellas has them on sale right now. I saw an ad for 300 off. Not sure though when that sale started or ended.

I think the sale at Cabelas is over. Might want to give these guys a call. They're one of the biggest Ruger dealers in the country and have a 10% off everything sale going on:

Hoffman's Gun Center / 2686 Berlin Turnpike Newington, CT 06111 / Phone: 860-666-8827

I think the sale at Cabelas is over. Might want to give these guys a call. They're one of the biggest Ruger dealers in the country and have a 10% off everything sale going on:

Hoffman's Gun Center / 2686 Berlin Turnpike Newington, CT 06111 / Phone: 860-666-8827

They still sell big scary black guns in CT?

Reactions: Burnbio
Has Ruger gotten the primer cratering issues figured out yet on the 223 rifles? I am kind of hankering to grab one if they have.

If shipping/outbound FFL fee weren't such a bitch, I'd happily sell my Gen I 6.5CM RPR.

To the best of my knowledge, you do NOT have to ship using an FFL. It MUST be received by an FFL and that FFL MUST run a background check before transferring. Some FFLs require you to send it from another FFL but it is not illegal not to. At least Federally.

So how much do you want for it? ;)

Replaced my RPR bolt shroud with the factory replacement/safety recall one and its loose and sloppy now the original one was tight and fit fine I think I screwed something up when taking the old one off any thoughts?

To the best of my knowledge, you do NOT have to ship using an FFL. It MUST be received by an FFL and that FFL MUST run a background check before transferring. Some FFLs require you to send it from another FFL but it is not illegal not to. At least Federally.

So how much do you want for it? ;)

Right, but many FFLs require it. I also don't want to be on the hook for verifying the receiving FFL is legit, but I suppose that isn't too hard.

Honestly? I have no idea what it's worth and it is a little cosmetically "used" looking. Got the MPA grip, SLR Ion Ultralite, and ASR brake on it for added value, but I'd consider selling rail-less if the end user had a rail.

Replaced my RPR bolt shroud with the factory replacement/safety recall one and its loose and sloppy now the original one was tight and fit fine I think I screwed something up when taking the old one off any thoughts?

Put the original back on. If you have fired at least 100 rounds with your rifle without issues, you're rifle is very unlikely to be affected. If you haven't fired any, measure the distance from the bolt face to the end of your firing pin. Cycle the bolt 100 times. Measure again. If the distance hasn't decreased, you're fine.

My replacement shroud was loose and sloppy too. I out the original back on it. I think I will order one of the Tungsten ones with the stainless firing pin tool. They fit nice and look great!

change up from my AACSD 308, I'm new to the RPR, just got a 6.5c model. First range trip was yesterday, after zero and chrono. Factory 140g ELD and 147g ELD. Pushed out to targets we setup at 375y, 512y, 545y, and 935y. Soda cans along with 8" steel plates at the lower 3 distances. Safe to say my RPR is soda can accurate at 545 yards. Scope is the weaver tactical 3-15 ffp EMDR (mil/mil) on ADM recon SL one pc mount. Shot 140s most the day, only used the 147s to chrono with.

38682790404_b0678b11bd_b.jpg

25520891198_ac90988865_b.jpg

27613913029_8a962978ea_b.jpg

Reactions: nostyta
Interesting. I understand the concept but still seems a little silly to me. MSRP of $529 so street price might make if fairly reasonable.

Interesting. I understand the concept but still seems a little silly to me. MSRP of $529 so street price might make if fairly reasonable.

Given the growing popularity of .22LR "PRS" around here in the Northeast, I think these will get really popular fast, especially if they end up around $300 on the street. Guys are spending $2K+ on some of the custom models out there. Now that seems silly to me!
I see this as a great starter gun for my grandson before too long........

Finally got some ammo loaded for the RPR 6.5. Right off the Sierra website. Using Sierra 142 gr MK and H4831SC, because that is what I had on hand. Max load, no pressure signs. Grouping between 3/4 to 1.25 inches at 200yds. Good enough for me. Next Wednesday some long range steel practice. How should I zero the scope. Top mil-dot at 200 yds? I calculate the bottom mill dot will be close at 1,000 yds. Is this recommended. What is the best way to do this. Using a SWFA 10x42 mil-dot scope. I'm new at this. I have shot NRA long range, not new to long range shooting, just to this game

Right, but many FFLs require it. I also don't want to be on the hook for verifying the receiving FFL is legit, but I suppose that isn't too hard.

I've never understood why some require it. The only thing that affects is what name they log the gun in under. Sometimes not even that, just the address it was shipped from.

Anyway, you can verify an FFL at https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/

Just have them send you a copy of their FFL and fill in the blanks.

Jeremy

Attachments

• photo84974.jpg
    photo84974.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 48
  • photo84975.jpg
    photo84975.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 50
^ Yeah at that price (which of course will really be lower in the shops) it makes me want to buy one just for the hell of it

Reactions: Burnbio
Finally got some ammo loaded for the RPR 6.5. Right off the Sierra website. Using Sierra 142 gr MK and H4831SC, because that is what I had on hand. Max load, no pressure signs. Grouping between 3/4 to 1.25 inches at 200yds. Good enough for me. Next Wednesday some long range steel practice. How should I zero the scope. Top mil-dot at 200 yds? I calculate the bottom mill dot will be close at 1,000 yds. Is this recommended. What is the best way to do this. Using a SWFA 10x42 mil-dot scope. I'm new at this. I have shot NRA long range, not new to long range shooting, just to this game

Just saw this post. It's best to zero at 100 yards, but if you're shooting at known distances I guess it doesn't really matter. I have my different dopes saved in my phone for different loads, distances, weather, etc. If I'm shooting at different distances in the same day (100-600. 1000 is only open certain days) and don't feel like looking up the dope, adjusting and all that, I'll go to the range zeroed for 100 and hold over from there. I always shoot at the same range at known distances, so again it's a little easier.

Anybody using a Seekins SP3R V3 rail on their RPR? Getting into PRS and thought the flat bottom might work for me. What do you like about it? What don't you like? This will see heavy use. Does it bolt up solid?

Thanks,
Bang

Anybody using a Seekins SP3R V3 rail on their RPR? Getting into PRS and thought the flat bottom might work for me. What do you like about it? What don't you like? This will see heavy use. Does it bolt up solid?

Thanks,
Bang

Probably one of the better ones out there. You wouldn’t be disappointed.

change up from my AACSD 308, I'm new to the RPR, just got a 6.5c model. First range trip was yesterday, after zero and chrono. Factory 140g ELD and 147g ELD. Pushed out to targets we setup at 375y, 512y, 545y, and 935y. Soda cans along with 8" steel plates at the lower 3 distances. Safe to say my RPR is soda can accurate at 545 yards. Scope is the weaver tactical 3-15 ffp EMDR (mil/mil) on ADM recon SL one pc mount. Shot 140s most the day, only used the 147s to chrono with.

38682790404_b0678b11bd_b.jpg

25520891198_ac90988865_b.jpg

27613913029_8a962978ea_b.jpg

Nicely done. I have the same gun, and for the price I don't think you can beat it. JMHO.

Also, I'm envious of the warm sunny weather you appear to be enjoying.

Cheers

Local shop is hearing RPR is being discontinued(assuming for a new version) Interested to see what they have at shot show.
And if dealers sell off the current one cheap, not that i need one but hey even a back up rifle needs a back up right?
Anyone else hearing chatter?

^Yep, was about to say that. Old SKUs discontinued, new ones added.

Picked up one of the Plano All Weather Tactical cases (budget Pelican). I have to say, it's pretty nice. Sturdy panels and latches. Very easy to pluck the foam and get your rifle in there. The squared edges bother some, but not me. Just right for my 20" barrel. My rifles only go 20 minutes to the range and back, so I just don't really need a $200 case. I'm not testing how waterproof it is. Anyway, I like it. Keeps the rifle/scope very still and protected.

Attachments

• photo85763.jpg
    photo85763.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: DRAGON64
Picked up one of the Plano All Weather Tactical cases (budget Pelican). I have to say, it's pretty nice. Sturdy panels and latches. Very easy to pluck the foam and get your rifle in there. The squared edges bother some, but not me. Just right for my 20" barrel. My rifles only go 20 minutes to the range and back, so I just don't really need a $200 case. I'm not testing how waterproof it is. Anyway, I like it. Keeps the rifle/scope very still and protected.

i have the same case. I use it for multiple rifles but i hated that foam. i ditched it and have cutouts for each rifle of real kyzen foam.

Just a few questions, I have traded for a 6mm creedmoor rpr and it won't hardly chamber hornady 108eldm factory ammo they are jammed into lands hard.. Factory ammo measures 2.790 oal,

My dummy round that cycles well slight jam 2.690 oal

Anyone seen this?

CBB1E7BC-2896-4E6E-B07E-FE86A687F6FF.jpegA8BD1A47-5A2E-40C5-858E-ECC307653D1B.jpeg
Just a few questions, I have traded for a 6mm creedmoor rpr and it won't hardly chamber hornady 108eldm factory ammo they are jammed into lands hard.. Factory ammo measures 2.790 oal,

My dummy round that cycles well slight jam 2.690 oal

Anyone seen this?

Mine also. But it shoots factory 108s under moa and with105gr berger hybrids (also jammed at 2.80" oal) and h4350 I shot a couple of groups in the 0.1"s during load development, so I don't worry about it.

Last edited:
It definitely shoots well its shot around a half inch at 100 with factory eldm, and even better with 41.8 of 4350 with 108 eldm just curious if it was the norm.

I'm getting 3050 10 shot avg on magneto with my loads no sticky bolt....

Did you see pressure?

Do the bergers jam less at that length, it pulls bullets if need to unload but shoots well

Last edited:
It definitely shoots well its shot around a half inch at 100 with factory eldm, and even better with 41.8 of 4350 with 108 eldm just curious if it was the norm.

I'm getting 3050 10 shot avg on magneto with my loads no sticky bolt....

Did you see pressure?

Do the bergers jam less at that length, it pulls bullets if need to unload but shoots well

Mine doesn't pull bullets with either load, but the rifling lightly scores the unloaded rounds. The bergers are only lightly jammed at 2.80" oal. Upper group was with 42.1gr h4350, lower with 41.8gr. No sticky bolt, but slight primer flattening at 42.1, so I'm treating that as max. Try the bergers if you have a chance.

Thanks,
Bang

Yep. Love mine, nice and sturdy, shouldn’t have any issues using in PRS

Anyone with a 6.5 creed RPR with a seekins handguard and omega suppressor that can IM me? Need some measurements but currently deployed overseas and no access to my RPR.

Interested in the Lancer CF hand guard and wondering if anyone installed one yet or has pics? I know there is a company that makes an RPR handguard nut, so the handguard fits flush. Wondering if anyone here has done it and which handguard was used, besides the Seekins. Seems like everyone is using Seekins.

Last edited:
Interested in the Lancer CF hand guard and wondering if anyone installed one yet or has pics? I know there is a company that makes an RPR handguard nut, so the handguard fits flush. Wondering if anyone here has done it and which handguard was used, besides the Seekins. Seems like everyone is using Seekins.

Not familiar with the Lancer CF personally other than the fairly hefty price tag but I have the Seekins on one of my RPRs and this Midwest Industries one on the other. Both high quality options IMO;

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com.../mi-rprm18.htm

Last edited:
Thanks! I’m trying to avoid the toprail. Actually, SLR has peaked my interest and they make one now specifically for the RPR. Thank you much!