• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger precision rifle ejector issues

Pilotscrappy

Winter is coming
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2018
Spring Hill,Tn
So I have an issue where my ejector plunger on the bolt seems stuck. It was ejecting rough today at the range so I tore it down to clean everything and I pushed the plunger down on the ejector and now it won't come back up thus not ejecting brass anymore.

How do I get access to the plunger to take it apart and clean etc? Also do you just apply oil to the plunger to keep it lubed?

Attachments

• 20190204_182614.jpg
    20190204_182614.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 282
Also wanted to add I went through the manual and it doesn't show anything about disassembly on the bolt

Attachments

• 15493356602776345230440704026091.jpg
    15493356602776345230440704026091.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 403
Okay I tapped out the cross pin (#9 in the diagram) but the damn plunger is fully recessed in the bolt and I've whacked the bolt several times face down trying to get the plunger to release. I know it's under tension from the spring below it, but for the life of me I can't get it to break free... Any tips to get the plunger to release? I just soaked it in gun oil taking a break for a few to give that a chance to soak thru.. I'm wondering if some brass shavings or something got in there and that is what's causing it to bind up

Now I tried pushing on the plunger and have made the problem worse where it has fully recessed into the bolt its almost flush now with bolt face

Attachments

• 15493395990778585720663546070234.jpg
    15493395990778585720663546070234.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 281
Maybe soak in solvent instead of oil?

Is it a new rifle?

Maybe soak in solvent instead of oil?

Is it a new rifle?
Rifle is about 8 months old has 2100 rds thru it.

I think I have given up on it ....in the midst of banging on it trying to get the plunger unstuck. I managed to smack the extractor off as well and lost the little detent ball that holds the extractor in place..
Tonight was a fail session in my garage
Looks like I'm calling ruger tomorrow

Bummer, losing parts is frustrating.

I was going to suggest using a compressor nozzle in the cross pin hole while holding it down over it over a stack of towels to catch the spring and plunger.

Bummer, losing parts is frustrating.

I was going to suggest using a compressor nozzle in the cross pin hole while holding it down over it over a stack of towels to catch the spring and plunger.
I actually tried that as well from every which angle and the damn thing wouldn't budge

You could try heating up the bolt body while avoiding the pin to create a bigger gap and try air/banging it again. But if there is something very sharp in there, it probably won't make a difference.

You could try heating up the bolt body while avoiding the pin to create a bigger gap and try air/banging it again. But if there is something very sharp in there, it probably won't make a difference.
I'll give that a go before I call no joy
Thx for tip I'll report back after I try it

I wouldn't put heat on it. The last thing you want to do is re-heat treat your bolt lugs with the amount if heat it would take to cause any expansion.

Probably have a sliver of brass wedged next to it. Just work at it - you'll get it out.

Reactions: Bayhawk21
have you tried taking it to a local gun smith or contacting ruger ?

RPR and Ruger American are similar, maybe this will help.View attachment 7018417
I didn't try applying heat,I gave up on it for the night.
This diagram was helpful it's basically the same bolt.

Unfortunately I lost the detent ball for the extractor [#13]
Part #11 the ejection plunger is stuck inside the bolt.

I'm letting it soak tonight I'll try to have another go at it tomorrow if nothing changes I'll have to call ruger and most likely send the whole bolt in for repair.

Sidenote,
Would this be a warranty issue ? Does ruger have decent c/s ? Or am I in for a nightmare.

Ruger's supposed to have good customer service. Don't know if they'll do you a freebie, but they'll fix it or replace the bolt for you (if it can't be fixed) I'm sure.

Exactly! Maybe down for a little longer but by no means screwed. This is not a failure that's unheard of on any platform.

Reactions: Pilotscrappy
Maybe blasting it with a can of compressed air will work? Turn the can upside down and hold it in the now empty cross pin hole for many seconds and it should get really really cold, like freezing cold that will frostbite you, maybe that would cause enough contraction of the plunger or spring inside the bolt? Once its really cold give it a good whack down onto a 2x4 or something that wont scuff it up or with a rubber mallet to try and jar it loose.

Ruger's supposed to have good customer service. Don't know if they'll do you a freebie, but they'll fix it or replace the bolt for you (if it can't be fixed) I'm sure.
Good deal, at this point I just want my rifle back up and running and honestly it could have been my fault that caused this failure I don't think I was keeping on keeping the bolt cleaned but at any rate I'd be happy to pay to get it fixed lol.

Maybe blasting it with a can of compressed air will work? Turn the can upside down and hold it in the now empty cross pin hole for many seconds and it should get really really cold, like freezing cold that will frostbite you, maybe that would cause enough contraction of the plunger or spring inside the bolt? Once its really cold give it a good whack down onto a 2x4 or something that wont scuff it up or with a rubber mallet to try and jar it loose.
I let it soak last night in solvent, got up today blasted the shit out of it with my compressor, whacked they hell out of it on a 2x4, tried pushing a punch down on the plunger, and the bastard didn't move a mm.
It's going to be taking a ride to new Hampshire this week.
Thanks for the tips

Reactions: spife7980
Well, just got off the phone with ruger and explained the problem and initially they were wanting me to ship the whole rifle to them.
After I explained a little better that the plunger isnt necessarily broken its just stuck they agreed to let me just send in thr bolt to see if their techs can get it fixed. If they are unable to it looks like I will have to ship the rifle to them as apparently the bolt is heads paced to the rifle? I didn't know that. But anyways their c/s gal that answered was super friendly and extremely knowledgeable about these rifles.
Thanks to all the for the help, I'm going to ship the bolt off today and pray they can fix it without me having to send in the whole damn gun.
Will. Update this thread when I hear new news.

Well, just got off the phone with ruger and explained the problem and initially they were wanting me to ship the whole rifle to them.
After I explained a little better that the plunger isnt necessarily broken its just stuck they agreed to let me just send in thr bolt to see if their techs can get it fixed. If they are unable to it looks like I will have to ship the rifle to them as apparently the bolt is heads paced to the rifle? I didn't know that. But anyways their c/s gal that answered was super friendly and extremely knowledgeable about these rifles.
Thanks to all the for the help, I'm going to ship the bolt off today and pray they can fix it without me having to send in the whole damn gun.
Will. Update this thread when I hear new news.

If they replace the bolt, it would likely require adjusting the headspace on the barrel, which is done via barrel nut. That's pretty typical on most bolt action rifles.

If they replace the bolt, it would likely require adjusting the headspace on the barrel, which is done via barrel nut. That's pretty typical on most bolt action rifles.
Thanks for info this is my first bolt gun so I'm still learning, I didn't know that.
Thanks for info

I'm going to second the idea of sending them the whole rifle. If they want to replace the bolt they will need to check and fix the headspace if needed.

I had a different problem with one. They wanted it back. The prepaid RMA shipping paperwork said to not ship it in the Ruger labelled box. When I called them and mentioned that the best I could find for that size box, the shipping store wanted $40 for a box. Ruger promptly sent me a non-descript box to send the rifle back.

Reactions: dinc
It's a stuck ejector. They aren't going to replace an entire bolt for that. If they do that's truly retarded.

It will literally take them 15 minutes to fix it after they start on it.

Well I'm pretty bummed, I just got a call from ruger and I must have gotten a noob technician cuz he is telling me the bolt has to be replaced. He is telling me that he can't get the ejector out. I even suggested that they drill it out and he said they couldn't (won't) do that.

So now I gotta pack this beast up and ship it to new Hampshire
o_O

Kinda regretting not trying to drill it myself now and just ordering the parts I needed

Reactions: AIAW and KZP
You can use a piece of steel shot from a shotgun shell in place of the ball on the extractor. #4 shot should be about right if you have some.

Have you tried chambering a round and firing it to see if that knocks that ejector loose?

He's already sent the bolt in, then they told him it has to be replaced. He can't try any of that now since they have the bolt.