• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger SFAR groups

USAF Ret

Saved by Grace
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2023
North Carolina
SFAR owners...
What groups are y'all getting from your SFAR?
Mine is averaging 1.5 - 2.0 MOA with factory and handloads. I can't seem to get any better than that.
If you are getting MOA or less, can you share the ammunition or the handload recipe? Thanks.

Going to try a few at 100 and 400 Thursday or Friday and will report back. So far I've just used mine with the thermal for 100 and closer on hogs and it's been great. I'm curious to the paper accuracy and will throw a scope on it.

SFAR owners...
Mine is averaging 1.5 - 2.0 MOA with factory and handloads. I can't seem to get any better than that.
If you are getting MOA or less, can you share the ammunition or the handload recipe? Thanks.
My unmolested 20” has shown itself to be dependent on good ammo for good groups. Best so far has been with Winchester (Lake City) M118 175gr BTHP that showed up at .7 MOA, but some other ammo has shown up at barn side MOA.

Reactions: simonp
For what ever bizarre reason my 20 inch SFAR will shoot inside 1 moa with Remington core-lokt 150 grain and 1.5 moa with federal 149 grain 40 round box from wally world . some times it's a little better .. The only thing I have done to the rifle is I removed some metal on the inside of the hand guard to give clearance for the gas block . My main interest in this rifle is for hunting , My back yard range is only. 300 yds so I can't give much feed back for anything farther .

Reactions: USAF Ret
I ran Federal Gold Metal Match through it today. Same outcome. 2" groups. I am going to stop wasting components on this one. I am taking it to the LGS tomorrow. I ordered a PSA 16" upper and a 2-stage lower for around $750. This will be a nice little package with my incoming suppressor.

Reactions: simonp
I ran Federal Gold Metal Match through it today. Same outcome. 2" groups. I am going to stop wasting components on this one. I am taking it to the LGS tomorrow. I ordered a PSA 16" upper and a 2-stage lower for around $750. This will be a nice little package with my incoming suppressor.
Does the sfar take standard ar10 barrels ? That'd be the best bet if you could throw the factory tube in the trash..

Does the sfar take standard ar10 barrels ? That'd be the best bet if you could throw the factory tube in the trash..
No. Proprietary barrel extension, although there are some work-arounds. MDWS seems to be the ones doing the most experimenting, and have recently been posting about an AR-15 BCG hack on their forum.

I’m my recent experience, 3 out of 4 ruger rifles took a couple hundred rounds until groups tightened up a lot. 1 out of 4 was accurate out of the box.

Maybe lapping would work? I never have tried that.

I just know there are more accurate rifles. When you get out to longer ranges, that 2" group turns into a shotgun pattern.
I agree there are more accurate rifles, but I would have at least shot to 600 yds plus to see if the 1.5-2 MOA groups size remained the same for range. I can live with a 2 MOA cone of fire out to 800 yards for a non-precision oriented AR platform.

Just my 2 cents.

SFAR owners...
Both of mine (16&20) will shoot under MOA, with the 16 out shooting the 20 on paper to 100.
175smk 43.2 Varget cci200 or br2 (matters little which) win brass.
I've not had the issues with either of mine, many on here have eluded to.

I'm MOA with my 16", shooting FGMM or Australian Outback 168SMK's. Changed the gas block to a Superlative and it no longer contacts the factory handguard.