• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger SR 762 Ammo Selection

Willie Miller V

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2013
I’m trying to the best factory ammo that will shoot well out of this rifle. Im sure the Federal GMM 168-175 should be ok. I read somewhere that the Hornady 165 GMX shot the best. I’ve also was wondering if there was any way possible to get a replacement barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor for the SR 762. I would definitely do that if I could get one. Since Ruger is building their Precision bolt gun in 6mm and 6.5 Creedmoor, I would think a 6.5 would be in the works.

I have the same rifle but have never shot anything other than reloads that i buy from gun shows. Its always been pretty accurate. I'm sure if i wanted to take it out to distance then i would get some sort of match grade ammo.

As for your other question. Its my understanding that in order to get a different barrel for this that it has to have the Armalite style with a deep feed barrel extension. Im no gunsmith and I'm not exactly sure what if anything else is needed. I've read somewhere that as long as you get everything matched that it would work. kinda like the difference between type 1 and type 2 6.5 Grendel. I bought a striped upper at a gun show to make into a new 6.5 Creedmore setup but just haven't made the plunge.

I’m trying to the best factory ammo that will shoot well out of this rifle. Im sure the Federal GMM 168-175 should be ok. I read somewhere that the Hornady 165 GMX shot the best. I’ve also was wondering if there was any way possible to get a replacement barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor for the SR 762. I would definitely do that if I could get one. Since Ruger is building their Precision bolt gun in 6mm and 6.5 Creedmoor, I would think a 6.5 would be in the works.

I would shoot 168gr Federal Match if you can afford it.

Handloading would be your next best bet.

Doubt there will be a replacement barrel in creedmoor or 243 etc.