Run Silent, Run Deep

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Belligerents
Feb 23, 2010
The Snobbiest Town in The Snobbiest State in the N
Never got around to watching this.

Excellent movie... Really enjoying.

Not generally an aficionado of WW2-era Navy Flicks... with the exception being Mr. Roberts and the Caine Mutiny. And They were Expendable, The Fighting Seabees, The Wings of Eagles, and In Harm's Way, which was really a '60's movie. Ok... I admit it. I like WW2 Navy flicks.

But had never seen Run Silent, Run Deep for some reason. And damn it's a good one!

Cheers,

Sirhr

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Belligerents
Feb 23, 2010
The Snobbiest Town in The Snobbiest State in the N
Ever see “das boot”
Many times. It's a good movie but at times I think it's over-rated. Sort of like "Saving Private Ryan" is the greatest WW2 movie. Meh... both are excellent. But the best? Well... jury's out.

But, yes, very suspenseful.

If you like Das Boot, the movie "Stalingrad" produced in Germany is really good.

Sirhr

Reactions: brianf

IrishWind

Laughing at the Absurdity of it all
Belligerents
Sep 23, 2003
NoVa
More SWO related, but Battle of the River Platte is really good. Even better is is old enough that they were able to get three of the six ships present at the real battle to play role in the movie. Only jarring anachronism is seeing USS Salem CA-139 stand in for KMS Graf Spee. Especially since the USS Navy wouldn't allow and German/Nazi equipment/uniforms/weapons on or near their ship. So seeing Kreigsmarine sailors in US Dungarees and carrying Tommy Guns was an easy fix but the US Navy said NO.

Reactions: timesublime

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2017
Never got around to watching this.

Excellent movie... Really enjoying.

Not generally an aficionado of WW2-era Navy Flicks... with the exception being Mr. Roberts and the Caine Mutiny. And They were Expendable, The Fighting Seabees, The Wings of Eagles, and In Harm's Way, which was really a '60's movie. Ok... I admit it. I like WW2 Navy flicks.

But had never seen Run Silent, Run Deep for some reason. And damn it's a good one!

Cheers,

Sirhr
I recommend the novel upon which the movie was based, written by Captain Edward Beach (a guy who knew his shit for real). There are some differences.

Reactions: brianf

lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Online Training Access
Apr 12, 2001
Base of the Rockies
www.snipershide.com
I watch it constantly

Just about everytime it is one, probably the best Sub movie ever, and the idea behind Star Trek the Motion Picture, same guy did it, super similar in a lot of ways

unrepentant

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 7, 2008
ms
The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum & Curt Jurgens is a strong runner-up to RS-RD.

I second the recommendation that you should read Capt. Beach's book.

A distant third for a 50s/60s sub film is 'Torpedo Run'.

Reactions: 308pirate

oldfart80

On Duty
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2019
Great movie, Wife was it first and wouldn't stop talking about it then i had to see for myself, No regrets.

Moose

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2005
NJ
Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster are 2 of my favorite actors and I have loved watching this movie since I was a kid.I love the old sub movies.

vwhugger

The Kindly Curmudgeon
Belligerents
Jan 17, 2003
NW WI
I remember the one Hell and High Water (1954). I don't think I've ever seen it again from when I was a youngster. I thought it was pretty good at the time (as were most of those war films back then) and I'd like to see it again to see if that still holds true. There were so many.

milanuk

F'ing nuke
Belligerents
Mar 23, 2002
Wenatchee WA
Das Boot fan here (y)

Back when we were in the shipyard (plank-owner, USS Columbia SSN 771) one of our guys took some vacation and went to Germany. Brought back some photos from a U-boat set up as a walking-tour / museum. It was a little eerie how similar some parts still looked. Newer propulsion system, lots more room (never enough)... but the Krauts were way ahead of their time.

Halfnutz

Sergeant
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 14, 2008
Peoria County, Illinois
Das Boot fan here (y)

Back when we were in the shipyard (plank-owner, USS Columbia SSN 771) one of our guys took some vacation and went to Germany. Brought back some photos from a U-boat set up as a walking-tour / museum. It was a little eerie how similar some parts still looked. Newer propulsion system, lots more room (never enough)... but the Krauts were way ahead of their time.
If you can stomache Chicago the Museum of Science and Industry has a captured German sub to tour. It's worth the extra if it's available.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer

Kir

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2019
Sparks, NV
I have found that reading books about the undersea services are the most suspenseful of stories one can read. I know it would freak me out, being locked up in a sardine can with explosions all around. :eek:

Moose

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 3, 2005
NJ
Destination Tokyo and crash Dive were also good movies.i also agree about reading the books they are so much more intense.

IrishWind

Laughing at the Absurdity of it all
Belligerents
Sep 23, 2003
NoVa
Das Boot fan here (y)

Funny how some things do carry over. I noticed American ships have a smell of AC/Paint/fuel/and an unidentifiable funk. When I toured HMS Belfast, a British WW2 cruiser, as soon as I went into the ship, same smell. Really creepy.

milanuk

F'ing nuke
Belligerents
Mar 23, 2002
Wenatchee WA
I used to hate it when they test ran the diesel in port... with the exhaust spray misting every single person coming aboard. Good old 'snorkel snuice' 🤣

gunsnjeeps

Retired Swab Jockey
Belligerents
Dec 15, 2009
Norfolk, Va
I noticed American ships have a smell of AC/Paint/fuel/and an unidentifiable funk. When I toured HMS Belfast, a British WW2 cruiser, as soon as I went into the ship, same smell. Really creepy.
I retired from the Navy in '05 and got a job doing FAA site work. We were in Long Island and I went to the Nautilus about a year after I retired and the smell brought back memories. The "unidentifiable funk" is sweaty down pillows. In '10 I walked back onto the first Navy ship for my current job. No change, same smell. The next time I retire will be the last time I walk on a ship.