• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Run Silent, Run Deep

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Never got around to watching this.

Excellent movie... Really enjoying.

Not generally an aficionado of WW2-era Navy Flicks... with the exception being Mr. Roberts and the Caine Mutiny. And They were Expendable, The Fighting Seabees, The Wings of Eagles, and In Harm's Way, which was really a '60's movie. Ok... I admit it. I like WW2 Navy flicks.

But had never seen Run Silent, Run Deep for some reason. And damn it's a good one!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Ever see “das boot”

Many times. It's a good movie but at times I think it's over-rated. Sort of like "Saving Private Ryan" is the greatest WW2 movie. Meh... both are excellent. But the best? Well... jury's out.

But, yes, very suspenseful.

If you like Das Boot, the movie "Stalingrad" produced in Germany is really good.

Sirhr

More SWO related, but Battle of the River Platte is really good. Even better is is old enough that they were able to get three of the six ships present at the real battle to play role in the movie. Only jarring anachronism is seeing USS Salem CA-139 stand in for KMS Graf Spee. Especially since the USS Navy wouldn't allow and German/Nazi equipment/uniforms/weapons on or near their ship. So seeing Kreigsmarine sailors in US Dungarees and carrying Tommy Guns was an easy fix but the US Navy said NO.

Reactions: timesublime

Not generally an aficionado of WW2-era Navy Flicks... with the exception being Mr. Roberts and the Caine Mutiny. And They were Expendable, The Fighting Seabees, The Wings of Eagles, and In Harm's Way, which was really a '60's movie. Ok... I admit it. I like WW2 Navy flicks.

But had never seen Run Silent, Run Deep for some reason. And damn it's a good one!

Cheers,

Sirhr
I recommend the novel upon which the movie was based, written by Captain Edward Beach (a guy who knew his shit for real). There are some differences.

Reactions: brianf
I watch it constantly

Just about everytime it is one, probably the best Sub movie ever, and the idea behind Star Trek the Motion Picture, same guy did it, super similar in a lot of ways

The Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum & Curt Jurgens is a strong runner-up to RS-RD.

I second the recommendation that you should read Capt. Beach's book.

A distant third for a 50s/60s sub film is 'Torpedo Run'.

Reactions: 308pirate
Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster are 2 of my favorite actors and I have loved watching this movie since I was a kid.I love the old sub movies.

Reactions: acudaowner
I remember the one Hell and High Water (1954). I don't think I've ever seen it again from when I was a youngster. I thought it was pretty good at the time (as were most of those war films back then) and I'd like to see it again to see if that still holds true. There were so many.

Das Boot fan here (y)

Back when we were in the shipyard (plank-owner, USS Columbia SSN 771) one of our guys took some vacation and went to Germany. Brought back some photos from a U-boat set up as a walking-tour / museum. It was a little eerie how similar some parts still looked. Newer propulsion system, lots more room (never enough)... but the Krauts were way ahead of their time.

Das Boot fan here (y)

Back when we were in the shipyard (plank-owner, USS Columbia SSN 771) one of our guys took some vacation and went to Germany. Brought back some photos from a U-boat set up as a walking-tour / museum. It was a little eerie how similar some parts still looked. Newer propulsion system, lots more room (never enough)... but the Krauts were way ahead of their time.

If you can stomache Chicago the Museum of Science and Industry has a captured German sub to tour. It's worth the extra if it's available.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I have found that reading books about the undersea services are the most suspenseful of stories one can read. I know it would freak me out, being locked up in a sardine can with explosions all around. :eek:

Destination Tokyo and crash Dive were also good movies.i also agree about reading the books they are so much more intense.

Das Boot fan here (y)

Funny how some things do carry over. I noticed American ships have a smell of AC/Paint/fuel/and an unidentifiable funk. When I toured HMS Belfast, a British WW2 cruiser, as soon as I went into the ship, same smell. Really creepy.

I used to hate it when they test ran the diesel in port... with the exhaust spray misting every single person coming aboard. Good old 'snorkel snuice' 🤣

I noticed American ships have a smell of AC/Paint/fuel/and an unidentifiable funk. When I toured HMS Belfast, a British WW2 cruiser, as soon as I went into the ship, same smell. Really creepy.
I retired from the Navy in '05 and got a job doing FAA site work. We were in Long Island and I went to the Nautilus about a year after I retired and the smell brought back memories. The "unidentifiable funk" is sweaty down pillows. In '10 I walked back onto the first Navy ship for my current job. No change, same smell. The next time I retire will be the last time I walk on a ship.

Reactions: pilotjoe
I really think Run Silent Run Deep might be the best naval movie of all time. I must have watched at least 10 times in the 60's as a kid. Still holds up. What is crazy about all World War II movies is how much older the actors are than the sailors, soldiers, Marines actually were.

Run Silent Run Deep has been a favorite of mine and I have watched it many many times.Lancaster and Cable are great actors.

Reactions: pilotjoe
Das Boot fan here (y)

Is that U-995 at Kiel?
I enjoyed the experience.

I don't know that he ever mentioned it... but from what I hear, the 995 is the sole remaining example of a Type VII, and is set up as a walk-thru museum, so that's probably it.

As an aside... got this the other day:

51QC-iKNTXL.jpg

should be an interesting read ;)

Das Boot fan here (y)

The later WWII uboats were the Type XXI Walther electric boats https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_XXI_submarine

1605916233553.png

If you can stomache Chicago the Museum of Science and Industry has a captured German sub to tour. It's worth the extra if it's available.
Back in the early 80s , the museum allowed groups of Boy Scouts to spend the night on the sub. Running around that thing and playing at stations was a lot of fun.

Reactions: Halfnutz
In Harm’s Way is still one of my favorite movies.
It ticks so many boxes: action, drama, romance, heroes and villains, big stars, young future stars.
If you haven’t seen it in a while, it still holds up!

that would make a wonderful yet cramped storage locker for hiding your guns and ammo in now how to burry it behind the house or submerge it in the near by pond . lol

Cheers,

Sirhr
Thought that is the new movie Larry is making about he and his skerls!