• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Running 140 miles in a week

spaniel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2006
The end of last month some friendly bantering escalated into a friend betting me that I could not run more miles in December than he and another buddy combined. They set goals of 150 and 250 miles for them, which meant 400 miles for me. While I've run 100 miles per week for extended periods of time -- all at least 5 years ago -- I've only been doing 30-40 miles per week most of the year. So 400 miles seemed like a challenging bet.

As bets usually go, things did not go as expected. In the first week alone, they ran 116 miles and I managed 120 to stay ahead. In the past 7 days, I've run 137 miles now to lead by 26 miles, although one of them plans a hero weekend now to close the gap. We're headed for well over 500 miles at this rate.

The most I've ever run was 131 miles in a week before this; I was gunning for 140 that time just to say I'd done it (20 miles/day) but did not make it. So I've got 2 days to go in this week and need to run 43 more miles.

I ran an early AM run of 10 miles yesterday, 10 more at lunch, and 5 in the evening (my first triple ever). 13 at lunch today, and 7 more after work that were a bit hard to gut out on the treadmill.

I'm tired. This is going to be a LONG month.

Re: Running 140 miles in a week

I wish I was a badass...
grin.gif

That truly is a hell of an accomplishment! I would like to be able to run a good long distance like that, but the pain and boredom creep up on me eventually no matter what I do. It doesn't take more than 4 miles to happen. I think that's why I choose to run 100 and 200m sprints over joining the cross-country team. I would REALLY like to do both though...

Anyways, great job man! Keep up the fantastic work.

that'd be an accomplishment if you did it in 24hours non-stop :D, or, in the days of yore, 1000 miles in a week.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that'd be an accomplishment if you did it in 24hours non-stop :D, or, in the days of yore, 1000 miles in a week.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I know a guy who ran 143 miles in 24 hours. He was participating on the US team for the 24 hour world championship.

I tried a 50-miler, I can't imagine running for 24 hours at any pace.

I hear ya
smile.gif
I've got a PB at 50 miles in 7 hrs 42 + at the AMJA 50 miler back in 1981 I think it was. Guy who won it that year did it in 5:45 as I recall. I tried the Old Dominion 100 miler in 79, 80, and 81. I made it to 50 miles in 79 and 80, and around 60 or so in 81. those distance efforts are damn tough!!! Ooops, forgot to add that I did those distances on about 40-60 miles per week. But then I was young LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear ya
smile.gif
I've got a PB at 50 miles in 7 hrs 42 + at the AMJA 50 miler back in 1981 I think it was. Guy who won it that year did it in 5:45 as I recall. I tried the Old Dominion 100 miler in 79, 80, and 81. I made it to 50 miles in 79 and 80, and around 60 or so in 81. those distance efforts are damn tough!!! Ooops, forgot to add that I did those distances on about 40-60 miles per week. But then I was young LOL </div></div>

I dropped out of my 50-miler at 37 miles with cramping quads and knee pain...I was on roughly 5:50 pace at the time, only trained 40ish miles per week and missed a couple weeks completely on a (successful!) elk hunt. If kid #3 arriving shortly allows, I'm going for payback and around 5:30 next fall. I always wanted to check off a 2:26 marathon but I doubt I can train consistently enough for that anymore (family/job/property) so the 50-miler is easier to tackle.

135 miles in after a 16-miler this morning...I plan a final 6 mile run tonight for 141...just it case I was short somewhere!

that's some bad-ass-ness right there.

A buddy back in my college days did 2500 miles over the 3 month summer break (13 weeks or so) to train for college cross country and collegiate marathons. IIRC, he was a 2x All American with a PR of 2:25:00, was an All American in XC and had a PF of 15:00 5k and busted the school record too. That one stuck out in my mind cause I remember how hard it was to run a 3:00 1k

You're putting in some serious miles, that's for sure. Reminds me of that dude a few years ago that did 50in50in50

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The end of last month some friendly bantering escalated into a friend betting me that I could not run more miles in December than he and another buddy combined. They set goals of 150 and 250 miles for them, which meant 400 miles for me. While I've run 100 miles per week for extended periods of time -- all at least 5 years ago -- I've only been doing 30-40 miles per week most of the year. So 400 miles seemed like a challenging bet.

As bets usually go, things did not go as expected. In the first week alone, they ran 116 miles and I managed 120 to stay ahead. In the past 7 days, I've run 137 miles now to lead by 26 miles, although one of them plans a hero weekend now to close the gap. We're headed for well over 500 miles at this rate.

The most I've ever run was 131 miles in a week before this; I was gunning for 140 that time just to say I'd done it (20 miles/day) but did not make it. So I've got 2 days to go in this week and need to run 43 more miles.

I ran an early AM run of 10 miles yesterday, 10 more at lunch, and 5 in the evening (my first triple ever). 13 at lunch today, and 7 more after work that were a bit hard to gut out on the treadmill.

I'm tired. This is going to be a LONG month. </div></div>I would rather strap on 80 lbs. of gear, then hump for 6-8 hours for a work out. But, I don't do that anymore either, so all the power to ya!

ATH,

good effort, sir. 5:30 pace is no mean feat (feet)
laugh.gif
Think it was in 83 or 84 that a young fellow named Wes Kesennich ran the Old Dominion. My son Mark and I crewed him. That race runs in the Massanutten mountain (sic) chain forming one of the ridge lines for the Shenandoah Valley. At the NE corner there's a pretty steep climb that starts around mile 78 or so and then a descent to the valley floor. Wes ran from roughly mile 81 to mile 96 at a 6:15/mile pace; yep, you read that right. Here's the kicker: he finished second!!! Beaten by a guy whose first name was Bill who caught him around mile 94 or so; they went back and forth for a bit, until Wes blew out - got disoriented going up and over and down the other side of Skyline Drive. One of the most awesome performances I've ever witnessed by these two guys. Wes is also one of the kindest and most humble guys I've ever been blessed to call a friend.

Keep up the good work
smile.gif
and remember this: you can never out-train your recovery time
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">135 miles in after a 16-miler this morning...I plan a final 6 mile run tonight for 141...just it case I was short somewhere! </div></div>

That is seriously hard core. I thought my occasional 50-mile weeks were tough. My hat is off to you.

Finished with 141 miles. The two guys in this bet with me gained a few miles over the weekend however, so I may need to top this next week...ugh. Plan on tripling 10-10 then 6 or 8 tomorrow. Start the week strong...

Perhaps because nearly half of the miles are on a treadmill (watching the kids), I don't feel sore at all, just the fatigue one would expect. The last 6 miles were easy, 6:47 average pace.

I ended up hitting 148 miles in a 7-day period. I tried for 150, but the last run did not go well and I cut it short rather than destroying myself. Average pace for the whole week worked out to 6:57/mile.

This is crazy, hands off to you man. Although it really makes me appreciate my decision to go Army Aviation... 150miles in an hour compared to a week =)

I took an "off" week of 101 miles, then ran 141.25 miles last week. I'll break 500 for December in the morning with 3 days of running to go. It had better be good beer I get for winning this bet...

How are your knees/joints after all this? Age, weight?

Ever lift weights or strictly cardio? Diet? Lol.....

Crazy stuff...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are your knees/joints after all this? Age, weight?

Crazy stuff...</div></div>

+1
If I run 5 three mile runs a week I feel like a stud. This thread is demoralizing!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cuffm4615</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are your knees/joints after all this? Age, weight?

Crazy stuff...</div></div>

+1
If I run 5 three mile runs a week I feel like a stud. This thread is demoralizing!!! </div></div>

Very. I just turned 40. I really hope the OP is in his early 20's.

Long distance running is awesome isnt it! Great accomplishment!The most miles Ive run in one week is 168. The first 68 were spread over a 5 day period and the last 100 mi was in 1 day. Im 36 and running is my way of life.

wow!! that's some serious mileage...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are your knees/joints after all this? Age, weight?

Crazy stuff... </div></div>

33yo, low 150s for weight (145-150 if actually in shape), 5'10".

Knees/joints perfectly fine. I've been running for 20+ years. Contrary to urban legend, short of a prior cartilage-damaging injury, studies have shown that running helps prevent joint injuries.

Would lift if I had time...but haven't in years. Work around my hobby farm has to suffice. I can still shoot a 70lb bow.

Diet...well...I've got some funky metabolic issue, metabolism is very low, you'd be surprised how little I ate while all this was going on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arkansashntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats awesome!! Wish my job gave me that much time to exercise. </div></div>

Well, I had the last two weeks off vacation. The first two weeks was really tough to fit in. Not something I could maintain. My 3rd kid was born 12/31, now I really struggle to maintain 70mpw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Outdoors</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long distance running is awesome isnt it! Great accomplishment!The most miles Ive run in one week is 168. The first 68 were spread over a 5 day period and the last 100 mi was in 1 day. Im 36 and running is my way of life. </div></div>

Kudos. If I ever run a 100 miler it will be Leadville, I'm planning my second attempt at a 50-miler in October. Sub-7 pace.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Would lift if I had time...but haven't in years. </div></div>

This doesn't make sense. How much time do you spend running any given week? Then how much time do you think it would take to do a couple reps? Probably about a half hour for a couple different muscle groups?

Just sayin...;)

ATH, where are you running your 50 miler? You said second attempt, meaning you finished the first and now you want a sub 7 hr finish?
Ive not done Leadville, but have a couple friends that have. Looks a sounds like a good and tough course.

nice buddy. I stick to 20-30 mi/week for general fitness purposes. I prefer 6-10 mile runs. I also hate treadmills

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Would lift if I had time...but haven't in years. </div></div>

This doesn't make sense. How much time do you spend running any given week? Then how much time do you think it would take to do a couple reps? Probably about a half hour for a couple different muscle groups?

Just sayin...;) </div></div>

When you're trying to max performance in one sport, time spent on others is a distraction. I ran 100-130 miles per week 6-10 years ago when I was trying to make the olympic trials in the marathon. I need to run 70 miles per week to run at any reasonably competitive level. With a demanding job and 3 little kids, I am lucky if I can hit that. 30min 3X per week on weights would take me from running well enough to be happy, down to feeling like I might as well throw in the towel. "A couple reps" doesn't really accomplish much. I get more from maintaining my 15 acres and gun range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Outdoors</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ATH, where are you running your 50 miler? You said second attempt, meaning you finished the first and now you want a sub 7 hr finish?
Ive not done Leadville, but have a couple friends that have. Looks a sounds like a good and tough course. </div></div>

I attempted the Des Plaines Trail 50-miler north of Chicago last year on very little training. I was on track for ~6:40 until I had a cramping issue around 30 miles and it caused my kneecap to track funny, so I dropped out before I could damage anything.

I was a sub-31 10K runner at one point, I'll run sub-7 for 50 or it's not worth finishing.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HispanicPanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice buddy. I stick to 20-30 mi/week for general fitness purposes. I prefer 6-10 mile runs. I also hate treadmills </div></div>

That's perfect for general fitness. I used to hate treadmills but with little kids it's the only way to get in a run many days. I wore out my first, broke in the second this week with a 20-miler at 6:20 average pace.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ended up hitting 148 miles in a 7-day period. I tried for 150, but the last run did not go well and I cut it short rather than destroying myself. Average pace for the whole week worked out to 6:57/mile. </div></div>

You are amazing. Seriously. I am in shock. And then you mention wanting to run in freaking Leadville!? Bro, you are an animal. My hat is off to you and I am inspired to go for a run.

Friggin Forest Gump!

I ran just over 7 miles cross country this morning and it smoked me. You are Superman.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just think you guys should know that you are putting on more miles than my car every day.

......a lot more. </div></div>

When I was in grad school and averaged 400 miles/month for long stretches of time...and just drove my car around town mostly....I did indeed log more miles on my shoes than my odometer. Oh to be in my 20s again.

I get the whole exercise thing and work out regular myself but I have a question. Do you fellas ever give any thought to what your knees will be like later with that kind of volume not to mention the really overdoing it periods like this? It is almost like an addiction from the outside looking in becuse of the fact that so many runners end up going way past what is good enough to stay in great shape. I am not a runner and absolutely no offense intended just trying to understand the process. Needless to say though, real dern impressive ya'll can cover that kind of mileage.

ggmanning,

When I started running I had this same question. So I did some research on the effects of running and incidence of osteoarthritis in the knee because of running. You will find it very interesting that there is little correlation between running being direct cause of OA.

Just when I think I'm doing a good job getting back into shape, I read stories like this....Wow, I'm impressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get the whole exercise thing and work out regular myself but I have a question. Do you fellas ever give any thought to what your knees will be like later with that kind of volume not to mention the really overdoing it periods like this? It is almost like an addiction from the outside looking in becuse of the fact that so many runners end up going way past what is good enough to stay in great shape. I am not a runner and absolutely no offense intended just trying to understand the process. Needless to say though, real dern impressive ya'll can cover that kind of mileage. </div></div>

It is an honest and understandable question.

You can look up the research yourself, but as a biologist myself I already have.

As it turns out, there is really no correlation between running and joint injury. Quite the contrary, ABSENT PRIOR CARTILAGE INJURY, running has a PROTECTIVE effect on joints. In other words, the exercise stimulates blood flow to tissues that typically have low blood flow (cartilage, tendons, ligaments). So it has a rejuvinating effect.

However, once you actually have a cartilage-damaging incident, you can cause further damage to the joint my continuing to grind on the damage. Seems common sense but the studies have backed this up.

Through my running endeavors I have been fortunate enough to come into contact with some of the premier runners from the 60s, 70s and 80s. I can tell you that, IMHO, the incidence of joint/arthritis issues in these older runners...who logged very high mileage numbers for decades...is lower than in the general population.

If I were to worry about a training effect that may be detrimental years later, it would not be my joints. Endurance training has significant effects on the heart. While my typical resting HR is in the 40s, a couple years back I made a trip to the ER for a corneal abrasion and they nearly called a code on me because they recorded my pulse as 27 (!!!!). I had been training hard then took a couple days off. The low HR and left ventricular enlargement that can occur from endurance training can add some complications in older age...Peter Snell, one of the great middle distance runners ever and a physician, has discussed his experience with this in his 60s. I have an acquaintance who was a state champion in HS, national level in college, but is now a weekend warrior in his 40s, and last week experiences a weird cardiac event that caused him to total his vehicle. The issue his doctors are having now is that he is in extremely good physical shape...with a resting HR in the low 50s...and the pacemaker/defibrillator they have had to put in him is not programmed to cope with such an individual. They can't figure how to manage his problem when he is in such good shape!!

However, given the entire risk/benefit equation, I'll take it without hesitation.

Thanks ATH and mr outdoors.....informative responses. It is a different mindset. I hate to run distances. All I do cardio is walking/hiking and my resting heart rate is mid 50's so at least its working. If I had to distance run to stay fit I'd be a lard butt. Hats of to you fellas that can do it.

Dude that is freakin nuts@!
I love it.
While I used to be billy bad ass when it comes to running, i would even light up a marlboro at the end of a 20 mile run just to show I could.
These days im happy with a couple miles on treadmill.
Youth has its benefits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If I were to worry about a training effect that may be detrimental years later, it would not be my joints. Endurance training has significant effects on the heart. While my typical resting HR is in the 40s, a couple years back I made a trip to the ER for a corneal abrasion and they nearly called a code on me because they recorded my pulse as 27 (!!!!). I had been training hard then took a couple days off. The low HR and left ventricular enlargement that can occur from endurance training can add some complications in older age...Peter Snell, one of the great middle distance runners ever and a physician, has discussed his experience with this in his 60s. I have an acquaintance who was a state champion in HS, national level in college, but is now a weekend warrior in his 40s, and last week experiences a weird cardiac event that caused him to total his vehicle. The issue his doctors are having now is that he is in extremely good physical shape...with a resting HR in the low 50s...and the pacemaker/defibrillator they have had to put in him is not programmed to cope with such an individual. They can't figure how to manage his problem when he is in such good shape!!

However, given the entire risk/benefit equation, I'll take it without hesitation. </div></div>

Hey ATH,
If you get a chance, could you expand a little on this? I've never heard of any potential heart issues so I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on it. I'm nowhere near your league running-wise, I typically do 30-50 miles a week and my resting HR is in the mid-50's. Thanks for any info and keep up the beastly runs!

Erik

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Hey ATH,
If you get a chance, could you expand a little on this? I've never heard of any potential heart issues so I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on it. I'm nowhere near your league running-wise, I typically do 30-50 miles a week and my resting HR is in the mid-50's. Thanks for any info and keep up the beastly runs!

Erik

</div></div>

I'm not a doc and haven't researched it completely, but all aerobic endurance events cause enlargement of the left ventricle. However, unlike pathological causes, it is a positive adaptive response to training to make the heart stronger, rather than a maladaptive response of the body trying to make up for a heart that is not functioning well. On an X-ray the two appear similar, however, so it's important to let your doc know you're a runner or from a chest Xray they may think you have chronic heart failure!

The low pulse that results is also fine, but my understanding is that as someone ages it can cause some issues if present in combination with other age-related changes in the heart. One may need a pacemaker to make sure their pulse does not get too low as a result. My friend who is currently having problems, they're unsure how to properly manage his problems because his pulse rate is below what they normally deal with.

Now I mentioned Peter Snell and I must retract that comment. I read into it in order to write this post. It turns out his issues do not appear to be related to his running. Not only that, but I could not find any RELIABLE work demonstrating a link between elite runners and heart issues later in life...only docs quick to point to ANY heart issue in a serious athlete and use it as an excuse not to exercise vigorously, despite no proven cause-and-effect link.

This week I did a 6 mile workout at 5:28 pace and an 18 mile long run that averaged 6:14 (started 6:42 pace ended 5:30 pace). All those miles in December are starting to pay off.

ATH;

This is a pretty phenomenal month for you! I have been doing 3 workouts a week for quite some time now anticipating outdoor track season. I am hoping to do a pretty quick steeple. I set my goals big, but I should be able to make NCAA qualifiers and if I have the best race of my life, hopefully qualify for Nationals! That would be amazing, but that is why it is a goal!

I have been doing some 12K tempos at around 5:18 pace (Sundays), 5xmile at 4:45 (Tuesdays), and mid distance stuff with short breaks (Fridays). Long runs haven't been as far due to the different training schedule compared to cross country, but I was hitting a peak of 23 miles at about 6:15-6:20 pace!

It is nice to relate to someone on here with a passion for running!

Keep up the hard work and I hope you beat your friends!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iShoot17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ATH;

This is a pretty phenomenal month for you! I have been doing 3 workouts a week for quite some time now anticipating outdoor track season. I am hoping to do a pretty quick steeple. I set my goals big, but I should be able to make NCAA qualifiers and if I have the best race of my life, hopefully qualify for Nationals! That would be amazing, but that is why it is a goal!

I have been doing some 12K tempos at around 5:18 pace (Sundays), 5xmile at 4:45 (Tuesdays), and mid distance stuff with short breaks (Fridays). Long runs haven't been as far due to the different training schedule compared to cross country, but I was hitting a peak of 23 miles at about 6:15-6:20 pace!

It is nice to relate to someone on here with a passion for running!

Keep up the hard work and I hope you beat your friends!

</div></div>

That's pretty darn quick, the fastest I ever did 5Xmile (3minute recoveries) was around 4:53 average. Of course my legit mile PR is 4:36. I have zero speed. I never got to do steeple, I was only a 16:13/34:18 5K/10K guy in college, I peaked with a 30:57 10K at age 26...pulling my hamstring in that race and wrecking my shot at the olympic trials qualifier in the marathon. Then career...kids...house...all in the next 6 months, I'll be happy to get a sub-1:12 half marathon, sub-33 10K, sub-16 5K, and sub-2:32 marathon this year. Haven't done any of that since 2006.

Best of luck with your steeple goals. Do it all NOW before you get old. Once you hit 30, it starts getting a lot harder to nail those 3-workout weeks. I'm 33 and starting to have significant issues recovering fast enough to do that.