• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Running 455 bolt too hard?

chadrp

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2017
Central Iowa
Can you run the 455 bolt too hard like if youre used to running a centerfire?

I've had my 455 for 8 months and for 6 months I've been running it with the DIP sear and 3rd lightest spring, 2lb pull, with no issues. I started doing some competitions with it in the last couple weeks and while practicing yesterday, the bolt stop started letting the bolt past it if I hit it hard. I know there can be issues if the trigger spring is too light. Can there be bolt stop
issues if there isn't enough sear engagement with the adjustable sear?

I noticed some wear on the back of the bolt where the bolt stop stops it that looks like it may be starting to make it ramp over it. I didn't think I was running it that hard but idk.

Last edited:
20180723_212712-2.jpg

My 455’s bolt will come out once in a while if you’re too aggressive. At a match recently others commented that it’s not uncommon and just to take it easy on the bolt. It’s a short throw so it’s easy to yank on it too hard. It happened to me maybe 3 times out of 300 rounds but then never again once I started to ease up on it. I have a Timney trigger in mine so I’m not sure it’s the fault of any of the trigger parts, stock or 3rd party.

That's exactly whats happening, the impact of cycling is rounding over the stop on the bolt. Bolt isn't hardened and the sear is so it's a no brainer, hammer-hammer-hammer. We all just have to be aware and not cycle the .22 trainers like our center fire rifles.

That's what I figured. I guess being new to competing with it, I'm sure I'm harder on it than I realize trying to be quick with it.

Hopefully a little filing can save it or I guess I'll chalk it up to "experience "