• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rural road, high speed, need info.

My neighbor was a little creative on the road in front of his house.

We have a 20-mph speed limit on our roads, not because of safety concerns, but because the cars and trucks cause a lot of dust. Faster you go, the bigger the dust cloud. One neighbor complains he can't keep his windows open in front of the house when people speed, as the dust gets in the house. It can be that bad.

IMG_20210510_134635310_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Naaman
You have the cops on your payroll?

I’ve never lived anywhere that this would go anywhere, I know folks who have video of felony thefts and the cops just “civil matter” it and go back to traffic tickets and sitting around with the AC on.

Not saying I don't believe you , it's just going to be a skill that some can do and some that just can't. Some are proficient at Range estimation and some are not.

For sure. I was "above average" but not the best.

Ha! Reminds me... This was way back in the late 70s but I recall one of my dad's unmarked takehomes (a giant Plymouth... something) had a certified speedo. You could tell because it had a sticker that said so, and a bit frilly bit of paper in the glovebox saying it again.

Least accurate speedometer ever. Off like 20 at highway speeds.

🤣 Oh, man! My dad always used to drive those big American rigs, too... with the straight across speedo whose needle would wobble back and forth over a 15mph spread even when driving with cruise control...
1630034500738.png

Reactions: shoobe01
My parents made some terrible choices in cars. A Citation. I was picked up from the hospital (in a lap! What's a car seat!) in a Pinto. Etc.

But mostly, I never forgave Buick (or GM generally) for the early-80s Skylark and Century they bought. Atrocious vehicles. Drove the Century a lot till it threw a rod because why not. The speedo was one of those probablistic ones. You are going... somewhere probably between 48 and 62.

• Haha
Reactions: Naaman
A while back we dug a pond behind the house with a D7....was a shame that it was side loaded off of the trailer and tracked the shit out of the black top.

Just real sad nothing seems to get done these days.

Compleate lack of respect .

not that what our neighbor did was right or wrong a few years ago before the guy passed away he would complain about the kids racing up and down the streets with those dam loud radio's .he went and bought a couple boxes of nails and screws and on a weekend threw them out into the street funny for the next few weeks there were no cars racing up and down the street plenty of cars with punctured tires but no racing and no radio's blaring crap music at 2 am can't wait for my turn to be the grumpy old man with boxes of nails and screws . :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: Snuby642
Had a problem with people running stop sign on my corner.
That's right MY CORNER.

Worst was during t-ball practice and games accross the street.
I got it under controll one day while T-ball game was underway.

A ball was hit or thrown into my yard and as I picked it up one of the repetitive stop sign runners did his thing.

I have a good arm and hit that fucker in the face through his open window. He slamed on the brakes and jumped out all huffy like he was going to do something.

Several dads and a couple of moms headed into the street and mr. Fucker hauled ass.

Shortly popo showed up and I was still out there and talked to him since I was reported (again lol).

Most of the parents came into the street and one produced a picture of the license plate.

Popo said excuse me, ran the plate and said mr.fucker has warrants, thanks, and left lights on.

The parent's got togeather and started pelting speeders and stop sign runners with balls and slushies and whatever after that and I kept an armed watch on them.

This is how America is supposed to work and any that don't like it can kiss my ass.

• Haha
Reactions: vinniedelpino
Retaliation: Not suggested but I am reminded suddenly of a tale from school days. I heard it three times in slightly different guises — and much more vaguely another several times — from both points of view, but always about the same individual so I have no reason to believe it is not true. Also remember, this is the Nice Suburbs. This was crazy when I heard it in the 80s, and nigh-inconceivable now. I think this happened shortly post-war, say...1979, but could have been a bit earlier.

HS teacher lived on a corner. Before we all got crazy about privacy, they might even have actually published teacher info still. We didn't have addresses but DID have teacher phones, as well as ALL student's home phone numbers and addresses, in the directory when I was in grade school still. So, not a secret.

I am not sure what caused it, probably literally just that he lived on a corner, and the yard was flat enough, but once every few weeks, someone or other would take it upon themselves to cut the corner across his lawn. Often late at night, whooping and leaving beer cans. Once he planted some bushes and his wife some flowers, and those got run down, he started getting annoyed.

It's a weekend, he's in the garage, hears a shitbox car coming, and on his street there are no loud rattletraps routinely, so he /strongly suspects/ this is the rare opportunity for daylight culprits. He made off with some stuff from Vietnam. Some say a case, but regardless he had at least one spare smoke grenade. Not M18, M15. The bursting one.

Steps out of the garage, sees the stereotypical movie version of kids with beer bottles in a hopped up, primer gray coupe, hits his driveway at an angle, start into the yard, and he pulls and throws from right there. Grenade hits the ground and bursts just to the rear of the car, still on his yard.

Huge boom, trunk comes off, among other things. Leaves a big scar in the lawn. The car is still powered, drives off.

Done. No more driving through his yard. He went to the store and planted a new bush over the burned spot.

It at least one version, the car was being fixed in the auto shop at his school (primer gray, it was before this event I mean) and he brought the trunk lid with him on Monday to give to the auto shop teacher.

(If you want another delightful story of VN take homes and neighborhood trouble: shortest version of a VERY long and weird story I got first hand is guy was impoverished, ran a gypsy cab in the bad part of town, getting no end of trouble from literal local gangs as well as other cabbies, etc. One day puts together the looks-good but non-functional AK he traded for, brought back. Slings it, takes one loop around the block, looking calmly straight ahead, no eye contact. Goes home, back in the closet. Done. No more trouble, ever.)

Retaliation: Not suggested but I am reminded suddenly of a tale from school days. I heard it three times in slightly different guises — and much more vaguely another several times — from both points of view, but always about the same individual so I have no reason to believe it is not true. Also remember, this is the Nice Suburbs. This was crazy when I heard it in the 80s, and nigh-inconceivable now. I think this happened shortly post-war, say...1979, but could have been a bit earlier.

HS teacher lived on a corner. Before we all got crazy about privacy, they might even have actually published teacher info still. We didn't have addresses but DID have teacher phones, as well as ALL student's home phone numbers and addresses, in the directory when I was in grade school still. So, not a secret.

I am not sure what caused it, probably literally just that he lived on a corner, and the yard was flat enough, but once every few weeks, someone or other would take it upon themselves to cut the corner across his lawn. Often late at night, whooping and leaving beer cans. Once he planted some bushes and his wife some flowers, and those got run down, he started getting annoyed.

It's a weekend, he's in the garage, hears a shitbox car coming, and on his street there are no loud rattletraps routinely, so he /strongly suspects/ this is the rare opportunity for daylight culprits. He made off with some stuff from Vietnam. Some say a case, but regardless he had at least one spare smoke grenade. Not M18, M15. The bursting one.

Steps out of the garage, sees the stereotypical movie version of kids with beer bottles in a hopped up, primer gray coupe, hits his driveway at an angle, start into the yard, and he pulls and throws from right there. Grenade hits the ground and bursts just to the rear of the car, still on his yard.

Huge boom, trunk comes off, among other things. Leaves a big scar in the lawn. The car is still powered, drives off.

Done. No more driving through his yard. He went to the store and planted a new bush over the burned spot.

It at least one version, the car was being fixed in the auto shop at his school (primer gray, it was before this event I mean) and he brought the trunk lid with him on Monday to give to the auto shop teacher.

(If you want another delightful story of VN take homes and neighborhood trouble: shortest version of a VERY long and weird story I got first hand is guy was impoverished, ran a gypsy cab in the bad part of town, getting no end of trouble from literal local gangs as well as other cabbies, etc. One day puts together the looks-good but non-functional AK he traded for, brought back. Slings it, takes one loop around the block, looking calmly straight ahead, no eye contact. Goes home, back in the closet. Done. No more trouble, ever.)
Pretty sure they made a clint eastwood movie about the second story, but with a garand in place of the AK.

Reactions: shoobe01
Our neighborhood association had an issue a few years back where some residents were complaining about speeders and wanted speed bumps installed. They wanted the speed bumps put especially in front of their houses and have the association pay for them.

Other residents rightly pointed out that if they wanted speed bumps and others didn't, why don't they pay for their own speed bumps. It turned out that they were griping because they want their kids to play in the street in front of their houses.

Other residents pointed out that the neighborhood association pays out quite a bit of money to maintain a private park with basketball courts, pickle ball court, picnic tables, grassy areas for soccer play, and sidewalks. Essentially they were told "teach your kids to stay out of the damned street, and go to the park and play like everyone else", and NO, we a aren't going to pay for any speed bumps."

My parents told me to stay out of the damned street so I wouldn't get hit by a car...some wisdom is timeless.
Geezus, there is a private park less than a block away...

Reactions: W54/XM-388
You don't have kids? Sounds like.
And not everyone lives in Nazi controlled neighborhoods.

Nobody to slow speeders down to speed limits or enforce stop signs you have to do it yourself and fuckem if they don't like it.

We also park cars to where it is hard to get through other than slowly. No enforcement of that for shit iether so it works.

Last edited:
This story reminds me of how much I dislike...safe cars.

I think that if you don't have kids, a modern car should be engineered to have exactly 0 safety features. No seat belts, glass that shatters into razor blades, gas tanks in the bumpers, the list goes on.

Not because i think people should die all the time in 20mph accidents....but more because I think that people who are too dumb to learn are not a benefit to our society.

16 year old high school kid - isn't able to notice that only half the students lived to make it to their Junior year because the cars have spikes instead of airbags? He can join the pile.

Same thing with drunk driving - should be legal.

But if you kill someone or hurt them doing it, you get to go into a machine of my design...and said machine will be a combination drill press, weight lifting set, log splitter, harley davidson motorcycle, and tree chipper. Guess what it does?