• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rust problems......

Dan8385

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2009
Clarksville TN
Ok not a 100% that this is in the right section but here goes.. I live in south FL right on the gulf and I am noticing my guns are beginning to rust very quickly. I am able to whipe it of with some rust remover every so often just getting annoying. I dont have a big safe just seperate cases. Also I am leaving in 3 weeks for Ft. Benning and will be gone for several months at a time any advice on keeping these guns in best shape as possible? Thanks in advance..

Re: Rust problems......

do you keep them in the cases? If so that traps moisture in and thus promotes rust. If you are leaving put a decent coat of oil or some heavier weight grease on the outside and run some oil inside the action and down the bore (thin coats) and when you get back make sure you run a dry patch down the bore to get the oil out before shooting

I thought the blue on the rifles kept them from rusting? Anyways, my local gun shop will wrap my rifles in bags with a special oil (thats how they described it...) for $15 a gun...they say your rifles are garunteed to not rust or degrade for a lifetime.

Might wanna see what other hide members say about that.

Try spraying rem oil on the inside of your gun cases. That keeps the moisture off the rifle and works well up here in Alaska by the water.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cosmoline </div></div>

My god they still use that old military axel grease.....lol

RIG grease was developed for use on small arms in the South Pacific during the war. Closest stuff you can get to cosmolene which is the finest for long term storage but if you want to use it fairly quickly go with the RIG.
Are your cases made of plastic? Chances are it is PVC which gives of fumes to rust your piece to hell and gone.
Good long term cases I made were from old army blankets or wool blankets. They breath and protect them from getting banged around.
For day to day use I use Ed's Red you make yourself. 1/3rd Mercon Dexron, 1/3 K1 Kerosene, 1/3 Mineral spirits. I have tested this in a bore stored for 14 months in vertical position. I borescoped it and bore was still wet after 14 months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan8385</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok not a 100% that this is in the right section but here goes.. I live in south FL right on the gulf and I am noticing my guns are beginning to rust very quickly. I am able to whipe it of with some rust remover every so often just getting annoying. I dont have a big safe just seperate cases. Also I am leaving in 3 weeks for Ft. Benning and will be gone for several months at a time any advice on keeping these guns in best shape as possible? Thanks in advance.. </div></div>

Yes, pick up a product called Boeshield T-9 or Eezox. Either will work fine. Just follow the directions: essentially spray them down and let it dry on the weapon. EXTERIOR only. You could use some sort of grease for the internals,

I store my guns long term in some of those vCI bags. works great.
no need for oil/grease. just drop them in the bag and close it with the zip tie.