• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

S.A.C overhauled my 5R

flounderv2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2008
Ohio
Recently, Mark at Short Action Customs did an overhaul on my Rem 5R. Before sending it to him, it was just a stock 5R that I had krylon'd and had a Harrels muzzlebrake installed. The previous smith that installed the Harrels brake threaded my barrel 5/8x32 so I had to run an adapter in order to use my suppressor. In the overall scheme of things, I guess not a huge deal but it definitely got annoying always having to keep a wrench in my back to remove the adapter from the can after shooting a few rounds.

Anyway, here she is before Marks work.
IMG_6383.jpg

Mark did the following to it. Here is a list of everything that was done to it.

1. Setback the barrel and recut the factory Remington chamber to a new tighter, concentric Chamber
2. Cut the barrel from 24" to 21.75 and recrown
3. Rethreaded the barrel 5/8x24 for my suppressor
4. Installed a new APA Little Bastard Muzzlebrake
5. Custom M40 style thread protector with recessed crown
6. Barrel spun the barrel to match the muzzlebrake and thread protector.
7. Faced the Action and blueprinted the bolt.
8. Lapped the recoil lugs
9. Trigger job (Adjusted to just over 2 lbs
10. Cerakote in OD green with some custom touched on the bolt shroud, anti cant indicator, etc.
11. I never really liked the 5" sunshade that came with my bushnell so he chopped it to 3" which I think looks a ton better.

Anyway, On to the pics of the work.
IMG_0405Large.jpg

IMG_0412Large.jpg

IMG_0413Large.jpg

IMG_0403Large.jpg

IMG_0414Large.jpg

IMG_0398Large.jpg

IMG_0401Large.jpg

And before chopping a few inches off the sunshade
IMG_0402Large.jpg

and after, much better.
IMAG0219.jpg

I got a chance to put a few rounds through it quick and shooting from a picnic table with the scope only on 12x, it put 3 shots into a 1.3" group at 300 yards. I think I could have done better if I had cranked up the magnification a bit. Im happy.
smile.gif

Thanks for everything Mark. Great work as usual!

Re: S.A.C overhauled my 5R

That`s sharp! Thinking about having Mark Cerakote mine.What`s your 2 cents on those Bushnell scopes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redrider308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That`s sharp! Thinking about having Mark Cerakote mine.What`s your 2 cents on those Bushnell scopes? </div></div>

The glass is really good.
The reticle could be thinner.
I wish it had more elevation. (They advertise 50MOA in this model but everyone I know that has one is only getting about 44MOA.

flounderu2, I seen your rifle on the table at Mark's the day i went over to get my custom 338, Mark installed a APA brake,trigger job,cerakote the rifle in highland green,8x40 scope bases holes.The rifle looked great,Mark is a great guy to work with.Kept me up dated on the progress.THANK'S MARK...WAGGS

Looks great.

Can you post a web address for Mark?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great.

Can you post a web address for Mark?

Thanks </div></div>

www.shortactioncustoms.com

Looks real nice! How did it shoot before the overhaul?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks real nice! How did it shoot before the overhaul? </div></div>

It shot pretty well but the 5/8x32 threads were really annoying. Also, due to the longer barrel, there was a fairly significant POI change when using the suppressor. I really like the shorter barrel and based off of the few shots Ive been able to put through it, I think she's going to be more accurate then it was before. The reason for setting back and re cutting the chamber was because almost 1" of the throat was eroded when we looked at it through a bore scope. Mark also slugged the barrel and said for a factory barrel, it was in good shape. The thing to remember is that this is still a factory barrel.

The original was Krylon. Mark blasted and cerakote'd my bolt, bottom metal, and barreled action while he had it.

That's impressive for a factory barrel! Are you considering a match barrel when you wear the current barrel out? I think you will probably cut the group down easily to around .3-.25 MOA with a match barrel installed by Mark. But "if its not broken, why fix it." Awesome rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For just krylon, that's a nice paint job. </div></div>

Your not joking, I should sub-contract all of my stock painting off to Flounderv2!!!!!!

Thanks Aaron

Mark