• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ?s about my new SS 1-4 & ADM mount

cegha

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2011
Hello guys, long time lurker, first time poster here. I own a S&W M&P 15 that I have slowly been buying parts for. This past Sunday I ordered up my SWFA SS 1-4 scope as I have been in the market for a scope for 3-5 months. I also picked up a ADM Scout-X Recon mount (3in ext) from SWFA as well, since I was getting the scope from them.

So it showed up yesterday. I tinkered with it all night & still have a few questions, as this is my first scope I have ever bought, along with my AR being my first rifle.

Firstly, I understand that the scope has some type of dioptic adjuster thing that is suppose to be set once & then left alone. I believe this is the small ring behind the zoom ring on the scope. No instructions came with the scope so i'm not sure how i'm suppose to set it.

So first, what mag level do I need to be looking at the scope through when setting it. 1x or 4x or something inbetween?

Next, there is a small ring that rotates farther away from the scope, then the very end of the scope twists away as well. I'm guessing i'm suppose to back the small ring away from the scope to set the diopter thing, then I twist the VERY end of the scope to the right to tighten it against the small ring? Is this correct?

Next up, like I mentioned before this is my first scope & my first rifle ever. Therefore I have never mounted a scope before. I usually don't pay people to do stuff for me (as i'm sure someone will say just take it to a gunsmith), I would rather do it myself & learn how to do it for future times, because I will be doing it in the future.

This is how i'm looking at doing it. I'm buying one of these.

http://www.microlevel.biz/vertical_retical_instrument.html

Then I plan to buy a gun vise, mount it in the vise, then I was thinking of aiming it at my fridge. A fridge has 2 90 degree angles on it, that are plumb, then ensure that my left & top lines line up with each of those 90 degree angles in the corner of the fridge door. Does this sound acceptable?

Now if you look at that link for the leveling tool, you will notice that the scope has to sit OVER the barrel. Mounted on the back part of the rail (approx T10 location) the level can't reach the barrel. Therefore I will have to mount the scope on the very end of my FF (quad) rail. My question is, is that once perpendicular to the barrel at the front, when moved to the back where it will be mounted, it will continue to be perpendicular correct? The only thing that would change from having the scope in the front or back would be elevation levels, correct? I will adjust my elevation after I have it mounted correctly, so it will be in the back (T10 spot) & there should be no problems, correct?

About the ADM mount. It came with some stuff called VC3 vibra-tite. This looks like some off brand loctite. I actually own loctite blue. Is ADM's stuff the Vibra-tite better that loctite or should I stick to regular blue name brand loctite?

Also, my ADM mount has 5 screws holding each ring in place, 3 on top 2 on the bottom. What is the best way to do tightening down. I was thinking start at forward ring, tighten first screw up top, do first screw at bottom, 2nd screw at top, 2nd screw at bottom, then 3rd screw at top, or should i stagger it. (criss cross) first screw at top, 2nd screw on bottom, then 3rd screw on top, then 1st screw on bottom, then middle (2nd) screw on top. Which would be the better way?

These are all my questions for now. If yall could help me out with my AWESOME
smile.gif
new scope I would appreciate it.

Edit:plans just crashed & burned. I just got a e-mail back from the people that sell the vertical reticle instrument. It WAS NOT listed as out of stock on there website, but apparently it is, & they ARE NOT planning to order more. Can anyone please suggest a way to ensure scope is level, or offer a scope mounting/leveling method?

Edit 2:Sorry guys it looks like mabye they arn't the only place selling them. I thought they were. Looks like brownells sells them to. I will just order from them instead. Please disregard previous edit entry. Thanks!

Re: ?s about my new SS 1-4 & ADM mount

You're way over thinking the level thing, it's a 1-4 on an AR, you won't be shooting 1,000 yards with it much.

Get the wheeler level kit, hold the lower level on the rail, put the top level on the scope turret, make them the same level as best you can and tighten it down.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=529349

Use the screw goo ADM sent you, it's fine. Tighten in some alternating order, how you wrote it is fine. Again, you're over thinking it some. I know this is number 1 rifle, after a few more you'll see what really matters and what is just internet chatter. The order you tighten the screws in will make no difference.

However, invest in a good but inexpensive torque tool that does inch pounds, tightening the right amount is more important than what order. Look at the Wheeler torque driver or the Borka kits.

In case you missed it....I feel the need to say it again....don't buy that goofy reticle leveling tool!

Thanks for the help on the reticle leveling. However my other question was in regards to how i set the diopter adjuster thing on the scope. What zoom level do i need to be on to set it & how do I go about setting it. Just keep backing it off until the image i'm looking at is clear?

Edit:I understand that the turrets are for adjusting elevation & holdover. However why does the turret pull up & free spin & allow you to push it back down in a different location? What is the point of that? Again remember this is my first scope & I am not at all familiar with what scopes do. Is there a rifle scope 101 guide anyone could point me to on what everything on the scope does? I'm kind of surprised no manual came with a $800 toy.
frown.gif

I enjoy reading manuals to learn how a instrument is to be used, but in this case I don't have one.

Call SWFA and they should email or snail mail you a manual for the scope. Its easy to get goofy descriptions on the internet and get yourself in trouble simply cause of a misunderstanding. Get the story straight from the horse's mouth, especially if you have dropped $800 on the thing. SWFA has good CS and will get you sorted.

As for the leveling, youre way over thinking it. If the scope has a flat spot on the bottom you can simply level the scope to the ADM mount and youre good to go. I do my scopes with a piece of shim stock that I borrowed from work. Basically a VERY stiff ruler that know has all faces parallel. I establish eye relief by putting the scope into LOOSE rings and mounting the base to rifle. Make pencil mark to on scope tube for eye relief. Use the shim stock or ruler to make sure that the flat on the bottom of the scope is parallel with the flat on the mount. Make sure your marks still line up and youre done. The method may not be dead nuts accurate seeing as youre leveling the scope body with the rifle instead of the reticle, but it works.

Just a note, make sure you get the bottom screws tight before you tighten the upper screws on your mount. If you tighten the upper screws first you may not allow the rings to clamp tight against bottom main lug and your scope will shift under recoil.

Scott